im haveing a contact issue

Slosh2881

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

steph Arnott wrote:

IMs are nothing to do with region issues.

They can be actually.

If a region gets broken in a certain way, any IM you send out from that region to an avatar on a different region will not be received.

The filers problem of all contacts showing offline at login is almost certainly going to a case of https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-7557

It's pretty common for a region to get in this state, usually when it has not been restarted for over a week, but not always.

The only way to fix it is with a region restart.

You always sound so angry Steph  lol

That bug is not fixed yet.

If you had bothered to read the comments on that issue, you will see many cases of that bug posted, the latest which was on March 14th 2016.

The OPs problem is not with IMs.  Their problem is that all their friends show as offline at login.

This is usually a region problem and is covered by that bug report.

steph Arnott wrote:

Why are posting a bug from 2014 for which has nothing to do with what you originaly posted. If you learn how the viewer and how IMs are sent would be a big help rather than just kludgeing together information that you cleary do not understand.

Do you have any idea who Whirly is?

Pamela Galli wrote:

steph Arnott wrote:

Why are posting a bug from 2014 for which has nothing to do with what you originaly posted. If you learn how the viewer and how IMs are sent would be a big help rather than just kludgeing together information that you cleary do not understand.

I do!

Not only is she one of the SL geek girls, she's curious enough to ferret out things most people ignore.

I remember floating in the air with Whirly, looking for microscopic prims in the sky that were appearing out of thin air.

And, she's got one of my all time favorite SL names.

;-).

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

steph Arnott wrote:

I do!

Not only is she one of the SL geek girls, she's curious enough to ferret out things most people ignore.

I remember floating in the air with Whirly, looking for microscopic prims in the sky that were appearing out of thin air.

And, she's got one of my all time favorite SL names.

;-).

I've been in love with her since the very first time I saw her.  She makes my heart go pitter patter.

And Whirly has probably forgotten more about how SL works than most of will ever know.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

You always sound so angry Steph  lol

That bug is not fixed yet.

If you had bothered to read the comments on that issue, you will see many cases of that bug posted, the latest which was on March 14th 2016.

The OPs problem is not with IMs.  Their problem is that all their friends show as offline at login.

This is usually a region problem and is covered by that bug report.

Well it's obvious that Steph has not read carefully what was said by the OP or anything in the JIRA(s) - there are several others linked to it- nor has she paid attebtion to what Caleb Linden said (some one who certainly knows a bit about how SL works).

Note carefully Steph, the OP said that their friends list was loading, just everyone showed off-line.

Generally when there is a connection problem the friend's list doesn't even load. 

Add to that the fact that in all the regions it has happenned to people on it has been fixed by a region restart seems to point to a region/server problem.

Oh, and I'll bet that Caleb Linden has a very, very good Internet connection.  ;)

Every JIRA I file, it is Whirly who contacts me, Whirly who comes to my store, Whirly who reproduces the bug, Whirly who figures out what to do. For years and years. She is not only thr Firestorm troubleshooter, but a sort of Unofficial Linden -- she said the other day what her position was, but I forget the name now. 

PS Of course, I am in love with her, too.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Every JIRA I file, it is Whirly who contacts me, Whirly who comes to my store, Whirly who reproduces the bug, Whirly who figures out what to do. For years and years. She is not only thr Firestorm troubleshooter, but a sort of Unofficial Linden -- she said the other day what her position was, but I forget the name now. 

PS Of course, I am in love with her, too.

I'll share her with you.

steph Arnott wrote:

Why are posting a bug from 2014 for which has nothing to do with what you originally posted. If you learn how the viewer and how IMs are sent would be a big help rather than just kludging together information that you clearly do not understand.

Steph,

Believe it or not, Whirley is spot on in regards to a Region dropping into a state where it no longer is processing transactions in a timely manor.  [Remember, a Region is just an operating system on a allocated server blades processor with some memory assigned to it]

Everything, absolutely everything you do on a region is managed by "transactions"! Case in Point - You move the up arrow on your PC then you have initiated a movement transaction [Move Forward] that has a beginning and an end state. The Region you are standing on needs to communicate the continued movement coordinates to your session on your PC and to the rendering system on the Region which also sends avatar change transaction to your PC.

This is why you successfully see you avatar walking her sexy walk and arm swing as she walks until you release the up arrow [or you run into a physical object.

All of this virtual loveliness can be dealt a blow by a Region that is experiencing transaction congestion of some type. IMs start to get very slow, statuses [such as online indicators] fail to be passed on, avatar movement becomes jerky, etc. Some of the transactions are persistent and stored in a queue for later forwarding [iMs, L$ , etc.Transaction Notices]. TPing to a new region rarely works in recovering [force forwarding] these beleaguered transaction since the region you received them on still owns them and won't forward them when in this state.  

Our Virtual Existence is predicated on 1000's of transaction messages completing successfully for each and every avatar on the region we are on per second.

When the Region get wonky, a restart is the SOP to clear this up. So those persistent transactions are going to be forwarded to you once the congestion is dealt with. 

As a Multi-region owner I'm amazed when this completes and a rush of piled up messages [transactions] all of a sudden shows up for me while I stand on the region next to the worked out region.

Steph.. please... Step back.

Whirly knows more about SL and the bugs within SL than any of my developers and most of LL's developers AND QA combined. You are wrong, she is correct and just please.. step back. This is not an arguement you can win because a/ you're wrong, and b/ Whirly wins the internet. The end.

;-)

No really... Seriously lol.

Just about everything passes through the simulator. You are connected to SL through the simulator. There is plenty of information out there about how this stuff works. You should take some time to look it up before you make assumptions about knowing something when you don't. It's a disservice to yourself and especially to those you give advice too.

I'm not going to argue with you on this. There is the right answer and the wrong answer and argueing with you isn't going to make you any more right. But generally speaking, if whirly knows something, then she knows it and is right. When she isn't sure about something she openly states she isn't sure rather than making assumptions.

You should try it some time ;-).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.