Less Characters Available in "Picks" is Annoying!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, it's just a little thing but it's annoying the hell out of me.  I originally posted this over on the Answers forum, but since there's no workaround for it, it seemed rather pointless.

Anyhow, I've noticed that since the advent of the web-based profiles the number of characters one can use in one's picks is greatly reduced.  Am i the only one disappointed?  Some of us enjoy being a little creative with our profiles and liked having the extra space in which to write.  I appreciate that 'picks' were not originally intended for us to write our own text in.  However, 90% of residents do use it for that purpose.

This is where it gets complicated.  I switch between viewers a lot and, yes, i still get the former number of characters if i edit my profile picks whilst using a TPV.  However, when i return to Viewer 2 (as i must) i end up with only half the text showing and -- this is the really annoying part -- a sentence that is cut off in mid flow. However much i fiddle, i cannot rectify this.

I know it's relatively minor,  but having half a mashed up sentence in my profile annoys teh heck out of me.  Ok, so only users of V2 can see it (should they bother to look), but *I* know it's there. The ONLY way to get rid of it is if i remove ALL  the extra text  visible in the TPV profiles.  :smileysad:

Why did such a little thing need to be changed at all?  Am i the only one who finds this annoying?

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but if you click the "more" link everything is still there. Isn't it?

No it isn't, Rhonda. 

Also, as Venus pointed out, if i chose to use a third party viewer all the time, i wouldn't have the problem  But i choose not to, for various reasons.  

It is time that we, the residents, agree on a common SL client basis. I think it's pretty clear that this cannot be an official Linden viewer, since LL no longer take the needs and wishes of their customers into account. It has to be a viewer with an interface that works for everyone, without a side bar or web profiles or a basic mode, and of course without security holes such as html on a prim.

Once we've made our choice, we need the developers of this viewer to work on a web-based search engine. Linden Lab will soon cut 1.2-based viewers off from search, and something needs to be done here because viewer 2 has been rendered completely unusable. I could imagine a solution where a modified v2 client queries LL's search 24/7 with a comprehensive list of keywords, and writes the results into a mySQL database that is hosted by a third party.

This third party search engine could use own search algorithms and deliver much more sensible results, based on a more transparent search method that allows merchants to optimize their advertising accordingly. Needless to say that whoever hosts this 3rd party search could earn a fortune in classified ads. I'd be among the first to pay a fellow resident instead of LL.

If LL block our viewer of choice from connecting to the grid, a new version needs to be released that uses a different viewer identifier. If 80% or more of all residents were to use this viewer, LL would have no choice but to ignore this TPVP violation. After all, they can hardly ban the majority of their customers. Bottom line, if LL are unwilling to give us a viewer and a search engine that works or us, someone else has to take over the client side development of SL. I don't see another option here.

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but if you click the "more" link everything is still there. Isn't it?

No it isn't, Rhonda. 

Also, as Venus pointed out, if i chose to use a third party viewer all the time, i wouldn't have the problem  But i choose not to, for various reasons.  

I am using the regular V2 viewer now.  Have you already edited you picks? I see 3 in your profile and they don't appear to be cut off.  Of course the first two are kind of short.  The third has 5 points but nothing looks cut off.

As an avid profile reader I find it more annoying to go through the web profile rather than the tabbed box it was.  If the web profiles actually popped up on my web browser instead of in world it would be big step forward.

Hi, Rhonda.  In V2, when you click on 'more' and look at the first pick (Lascellicious), it ends with " t ask".   This is the last bit of the last paragraph (the rest of the paragraph being missing).   In Phoenix, the missing paragraph shows up. 

Reducing the pick by 4 letters doesn't fix it either. 

In the old profiles that pick was originally twice as long.  I've reduced it and reduced it.  :-(  

Thank you for taking a look at it.

The web based profiles are terrible.  Rather than fast, fun & easy it makes it more work to view someone's profile.

When they originally started I started a discussion, "The Death Of The Profile" ( http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussions/Arthur-Miller-s-The-Death-Of-A-Profile/m-p/511327#M252167 ).  It is a short thread but I think I was pretty thorough in covering the problems.

Sometimes I think Linden Lab needs to learn, "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It."  Seriously.

@ Perrie: 

I've continued to use V2 for most of my time in SL, but the web-based profiles are nearly the last straw for me.  I say 'nearly' 'cos how do we know that the TPV viewers aren't going to follow suit?   I've really only stuck with V2 as long as i have  'cos  i figured that the TPVs would follow along sooner or later with all the changes, so might as well get used to the inevitable.  :smileysad:  Cheerful soul, aren't i?   This new and useless fugliness has killed ANY liking i had for V2. 

squashy Beeswing wrote:

@ Perrie: 

I've continued to use V2 for most of my time in SL, but the web-based profiles are nearly the last straw for me.  I say 'nearly' 'cos how do we know that the TPV viewers aren't going to follow suit?   I've really only stuck with V2 as long as i have 
'cos  i figured that the TPVs would follow along sooner or later with all the changes, 
(emphasis added)

It is my understanding that the Phoenix team is using the Viewer 1 iteration of profiles in Firestorm.  Whether or not this winds up getting broken by LL when they discontinue Viewer 1 I don't know.

Torley started a thread about the web based profiles and I have left a comment there myself.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/INTERESTS-In-MY-Web-Profiles-Tab-Early-questions-amp-answers/m-p/771961#M3001

squashy Beeswing wrote:

@ Perrie: 

I've continued to use V2 for most of my time in SL, but the web-based profiles are nearly the last straw for me.  I say 'nearly' 'cos how do we know that the TPV viewers aren't going to follow suit?   I've really only stuck with V2 as long as i have  'cos  i figured that the TPVs would follow along sooner or later with all the changes, so might as well get used to the inevitable.  :smileysad:  Cheerful soul, aren't i?   This new and useless fugliness has killed ANY liking i had for V2. 

I've sent emails to the Phoenix team before and they are very forthcoming about what they're doing, what they plan and what they're being forced into. I'd suggest finding their website (from the Approved TPV page here) and using the info there to send them an emai.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

squashy Beeswing wrote:

@ Perrie: 

I've sent emails to the Phoenix team before and they are very forthcoming about what they're doing, what they plan and what they're being forced into. I'd suggest finding their website (from the
) and using the info there to send them an emai.

Thanks, Darrius.  I hadn't thought of contacting them to ask what their plans are, but now i'm going to do exactly that.  :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.