Beginning builder & Creator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Saphire wrote:

What types of software will I need installed in order to build/create. I'm wanting to create homes and apparel. Also are there any tutorials out there for beginners available?

You don't need any additional software to buid with prims, it's all included in the viewer.

You need extra software to build with mesh but you really really shouldn't try to create mesh houses or clothes unless you already have quite a bit of 3D modelling experience.

Saphire wrote:

Also are there any tutorials out there for beginners available?

Builders Brewery, Happy Hippsters, NCI, Helping Haven and Oxbridge all offer excellent classes for new builders.

• Like 1

Saphire wrote:

What types of software will I need installed in order to build/create. I'm wanting to create homes and apparel. Also are there any tutorials out there for beginners available?

For texture editing - for system clothing, skin, prim and mesh textures - the GIMP ( www.gimp.org )

For messing with mesh - Blender

Both are free and powerful.

Tutorials are all over the web and YouTube ... just search for second life tutorian and whatever it is you want to do.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

From one beginning builder to another: Gimp and Blender are the way to go. I use Photoshop to edit my jpgs, but I can't do alpha masks in PS elements, as far as I can tell. (My mac died, and took with it all my software, so I only have adobe elements and *$%*#@ Gimp.to make my alpha masks.) Gimp is gimpy but it works.

Make sure to use the Beta grid to test your beginning textures.

Save your actual money for when you know what you're doing.

I made my first tentative foray into Aviti today, and uploaded some trial textures. Glad I did, it's going to save me a bundle testing them for free. I only wasted L$10 on the main grid to know pay-as-you-learn wasnt going to work for me.The sandboxes were easy to find and seemed a lot less populated there as well.

Next comes blender........

• Like 1

"So, you know that you don't need to go to Aditi to see how your trial textures look, don't you?  Just use Local Textures."

Really? I did not know that, now I do. Thanks!

Still, Aviti seems like a good place to build, better than some of the main grid sandboxes I've been to in the past. Less people, less fun and games, more serious about building, etc.

And is there a similar function for mesh objexts? 

I've been reading, but haven't made many things yet, and trying to upload isn't something I've had much experience with.

Yes, Aditi (not "Aviti") is a fine place to build.  There are few people around, and even fewer griefers (I don't think I have ever heard of one, actually).  As long as you are just practicing, it's a good place to work.  You just can't bring anything back to Agni.  Therefore, it's great for doing trial uploads of mesh and textures (unless you use local textures, which are much less trouble).  For real permanent building, though, find yourself a quiet sandbox on Agni or (even better) rent yourself a parcel to work on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.