Slow rezzing: Is it just me?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2516 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Slow is a relative term... I think things are slower. But, it isn't taking 5 minutes.

For suggestions on what you might do, we need to know more. When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

It also helps to know if you are using a laptop or a desktop and a wired or wireless connection between the computer and gateway and/or between the gateway and ISP. T-Mobile and other ISP’s use a wireless system to connect to your home.

Without information all we can do is guess. That means you have to try all our bad guesses and eliminate them one by one. This is easier for all of us, if you give us good information to start with.

A basic step is to test with a different viewer. The Linden made SL viewer is the default debuging viewer. Firestorm is the most popular third party viewer. If both viewers have the same problem, that pretty much elminates a viewer problem. - You can have as many viewers installed as you want. Each installs separately. Install your favorite viewer last... as the last install is what is used for SLURL's by default. 

There is an Interest List bug in some older viewers. On the Windows side it has been fixed. I don't know about the Mac side. It causes the viewer to not render items in the view until they are clicked on. If that is the problem you are seeing, try one of the RC viewers to see if it solves the problem.

Pamela Galli wrote:

The past week or so I notice that not only newly applied textures, but things dragged from inventory, are extremely slow to appear. I mean several minutes after I drag somethting, it will finally appear.

A friend of mine has been struggling with something similar for a while. Not sure if she found an explanation or a solution. I'll ask her.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Slow is a relative term... I think things are slower. But, it isn't taking 5 minutes.

SL performance has certainly degraded significantly recently.

For a start there seems to be something wrong with the way the latest versions of the viewer handle the texture cache. One thing I've never ever noticed before is that my avatar doesn't even show up as a white cloud right after startup. It takes a while before the texture for the could aprticles load so at first I show up as a mass of swirling grayish squares. Same with the selection particle beam. When I select an object to edit, I get a stream of squares as the beam, then after a second or so the particle texture loads.

Ping sim time is very unstable. This is a Second Life only issue, not noticeable anywhere else on the internet. Also, quite tellingly, the problem is much more noticeable during U.S afternoon/evening hours and during weekends, that is at the times when SL is presumably most busy.

I've also noticed a huge increase in packet loss recently. I used to say that any packet loss is bad news but now I'm happy if it stays below 0.5%. I can't say for sure if that is an SL related problem or something on my side but I haven't noticed it anywhere else and combined with the ping sim issue it's likely server side.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

There is an
Interest List
bug in some older viewers. On the Windows side it has been fixed.

Oh no, it' still very noticeable even on the latest official release and on at least one RC candidate (sorry can't remember which one).

Nalates Urriah wrote:

A basic step is to test with a different viewer. The Linden made SL viewer is the default debuging viewer. Firestorm is the most popular third party viewer. If both viewers have the same problem, that pretty much elminates a viewer problem.

Not necessarily. Unless I'm completely msitaken, the third party viewers are not nearly as independent from the official viewer as many people seem to believe. If there is a problem with some of the shared code, it will be noticeable on all viewers.

I dont know much about stats but altho my packet loss stays at 0, ping time is very erratic -- from 65 to 140 rapidly, back and forth. 

I have a wired connection. 

Here is my sys info:

CPU: Intel® Core i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz (3500 MHz)
Memory: 32768 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.0 Darwin 14.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.0.0: Fri Sep 19 00:26:44 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2782.1.97~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.0.43 310.41.05f01

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.38.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.6
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.56
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Phoenix
Viewer Skin: StarLight (Silver Blue)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 96 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2.5
Render quality: High (5/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 1024 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): unknown
Built with Clang version 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.49)
Packets Lost: 11/35272 (0.0%)

I did not switch viewers because the problem was more inconsistent today. Textures kept rezzing slowly but sometime the new mesh I rezzed showed up and sometimes didnt. (Also switching viewers messes up my settings, like switches the IM log from dropbox to elsewhere.)

ChinRey wrote:

Ping sim time is very unstable. This is a Second Life only issue, not noticeable anywhere else on the internet. 

The "Ping Sim" statistic is not the standard ICMP ping that's used to check basic network propagation delay "anywhere else on the internet." It's also possible to perform those standard pings from a command shell, directed toward the sim's IP address from Help / About Second Life, and they'll show a somewhat faster return time. The difference is that "Ping Sim" requires the sim to generate an application layer response, rather than the network layer response required for ICMP ping.

I suppose if ICMP ping is stable and Ping Sim fluctuates, it would reveal something about the sim being overloaded at a very basic level, but without details of how it's implemented, I'm not sure what, exactly. On the other hand, if ICMP ping also fluctuates more than a few msec, then yeah, there's delay somewhere in the network.

ChinRey wrote:

SL performance has certainly degraded significantly recently.

For a start there seems to be something wrong with the way the latest versions of the viewer handle the texture cache. One thing I've never ever noticed before is that my avatar doesn't even show up as a white cloud right after startup. It takes a while before the texture for the could aprticles load so at first I show up as a mass of swirling grayish squares. Same with the selection particle beam. When I select an object to edit, I get a stream of squares as the beam, then after a second or so the particle texture loads.

That's a new problem on the latest LL release.

I filed a JIRA issue for it.

BUG-11636 - Particle textures loaded from the viewer repository of textures often fail to rez correctly

If you are seeing that happen on the latest Firestorm 4.7.7 release, though it's something different.  Firestorm doesn't have the changes merged in yet that caused that.

As far as the other problems mentioned here, I haven't seen any of those but they sound like general connection issues or possibly an agressive antivirus slowing down texture loading.

• 1 year later...

I started having this problem a couple months ago, when my hard drive crashed.  Both the old and new drives are SSD. Was previously running Windows 7, and SL ran great for the most part.  With new hard drive, I installed Windows 10.  That's when I started having problems.  Any sim I go to takes forever to rez, though some are worse than others depending on lag and # of avis present.  Also, animations take forever for me to see, though others see them normally.  When I hop on a poseball, I get tp'd to a distant location (the person I was standing next to will now show up on the radar as 200 meters or some other great distance away), and I am usually under water, though sometimes up in the air.  I can sit there for several minutes, before I land back at the poseball.  Either me or the other person on the poseball (or both) will be animated, or not for me - most likely not, just standing or sitting idle.  Also I see other avis that are on poseballs or sitting on something, will look like they are standing with their arms straight out.

I even went back and reinstalled Windows 7, and it now behaves the same way!  I too notice the lag meter says my packet loss is over 10%.  I've tried reinstalling Firestorm, both current and older version, updating my video drivers, updating Windows.  I checked with my ISP and they say there is nothing wrong with my connection.  My connection is hardwired to my desktop.  I've disabled AV and firewall, no difference.  I've turned down my graphics settings, draw distance, LOD, # of Avatars, etc. but no effect either.

This has really put a damper on things for me, I can't do anything interactive or fun, I end up standing around watching others, maybe chatting a little, but that's it.

Firestorm 5.0.1 (52150) Dec 10 2016 14:44:37 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (3591.34 MHz)
Memory: 16313 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 15063)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 22.21.0013.8205
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.05

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.8
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.61
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.6.0017.22050

EDIT:

The official Second Life viewer behaves the same way.  This is not just a texture issue for me, it is the rezzing of whole objects that takes a long time.  Even the land - when I tp somewhere, I can be standing over open water, and the land rezzes in chunks here and there.  Also, objects do not rez closest to me first, then ones farther away.  It is often the opposite, and quite random.

Edited by Raul Isodo
  • Like 1

An update: the super slow rezzing problem now only applies to some new textures I upload. Mesh usually shows up within a minute. I haven't done anything differently, so I assume some server update fixed it for me.

Yes, it's been bad, and I partially blame it to poor quality CDN providers. Still, one thing that I noticed was that the SL Viewer loads inventory much slower than Firestorm (yeah, I wanted to try it and see if it was a viewer thing or not.) No idea why, since I configured its settings as I have them in Firestorm...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2516 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.