Security orb height limits needs to be capped

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

steph Arnott wrote:

"up indefinitely.", no it does not, the bounding box limit is 4000 meters. Just becouse you can keep flying upwards you are not actually going anywhere after that limit.

It's actually more than 4000m but I won't be picky :) I'd forgotten about that limit.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted my previous reply before I read Qie's. The reason I am posting this is to tell you that you are wrong about the limit being 4000m. Normal usage is up to 4096m. You've said 4000m twice so I assume that neither was a mistake on your part, and that you actually believe that 4000m is the limit. It isn't.

bebejee wrote:

I may have not been looking outside but I was definitely looking at the screen and constantly checking mini-map, speaking of which the SL viewer mini map is kind of strange, I dont know what all it tries to show in there in black and grey patches that coverup land images.

There was no one present on that piece of land or skybox, map did not show any green dot.

What makes one think that the blimp or any other vehicle did not crash a few times before and I had to restart my journey all over again? it can be very annoying to have to do that again ang again.

I dont know about others but making an uniterrupted continuos journey is a challenge, rarely do I make it in one go from point A to B, I do pick up and find a new rezz spot etc. but the fun is lost, so when its hapening  and without having to steer and fly in a straight line and at the lowest speed enjoying a movie or something, and to be robbed of that experienece for no other reason than an ord  not liking you flying a 1000 feet above is really frustrating. 

Flying extremely high is no fun, I like to see things below, intersting builds, landscapes, but to avoid the orbs I keep the blimp and hot air ballon at an unecessary high altitude and to be robbed of teh pleasure even there is unacceptable.

People comparing RL to SL, you must be joking,, I rent a place that is three sides floor to ceiling glass and the door dosent lock, its on mainland with neighbours all around, no one has even bothered me, there have been quite a few visitors to the sim exploring the place, not one barged into my place or tried to act out stuff, they didnt even cam the place.

An av not being there when you flew into their space doesn't mean anything.

You said you were watching a movie. Obviously you weren't watching the screen when you should.

Those things on the minimap are usually things in the sky that you're ignoring.

You flew into someone's space, which they pay for.

Their security told you not to.

You got booted.

All of your complaints here are rubbish. They all involve you doing something wrong and blaming someone else or the system.

Go find an area that you can fly in and enjoy. There's plenty of space in Sl.

bebejee wrote:

I may have not been looking outside but I was definitely looking at the screen and constantly checking mini-map,

Suggestion: Try using the main Map display. It can be shrunk down to a practical size and pushed off the side of the display so it doesn't need to take up much of the screen. If you follow Linden roads and waterways, it reduces your likelihood of intruding on the backporch shotgun crowd.

Also there are scripted displays that give some visual warning when banlines are ahead. I've never used them myself, but I've heard good things. They won't help with orbs, though, and whitelist banlines are only a problem a modest height (maybe 50m?) above ground level, and it's not that difficult to stay above that height and still see enough of what's on the ground to be interesting.

I use one of those when I'm doing the Starchild Rally. As you said, they can't detect orbs.

The 10 second warnings are ok for me because in 10 seconds I'm through the parcel. It's those that boot you the instant they scan you that should be banned, because there's no way to get across or back out.

"An av not being there when you flew into their space doesn't mean anything. You said you were watching a movie. Obviously you weren't watching the screen when you should. Those things on the minimap are usually things in the sky that you're ignoring. You flew into someone's space, which they pay for. Their security told you not to. You got booted. All of your complaints here are rubbish. They all involve you doing something wrong and blaming someone else or the system. Go find an area that you can fly in and enjoy. There's plenty of space in Sl."

Oh please STFU!

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Highest I managed was 1 million meters before the avatar just totally breaks down

You definitely got a little cross eyed there.

I don't remember how high the guy got in the thread I referenced but he was even more distorted than you got. 

bebejee wrote:

No my post is valid, I did not know there is no limit to an orbs vertical range, and that skyboxes thousads of feet up have insecure owners, bet you are one of them and feeling stupid about it.

I would not support any change to the airspace that security orbs are allowed to operate in.  I don't own any security orbs, but I do respect the rights of individual parcel owners or tenants to protect their parcel as they see fit.  

If I did have security orbs, after seeing the attitude you are displaying towards people with security orbs, there is nothing in your manner or reasoning that would lead me to change my mind about using them for the full extent of my air space. 

I got tangled up in one myself the other day while boating, and while it was unpleasant, it didn't make me want to belittle all people with security orbs. Next time, I'll just plan my route better, to stay away from that parcel.  There are plenty of parcels open to air travel, a lot of abandoned land, and a fair amount of public (LL owned) land.  You might also want to check with some of the aviation groups to see what their suggestions are about avoiding security orbs. 

bebejee wrote:

No my post is valid, I did not know there is no limit to an orbs vertical range, and that skyboxes thousads of feet up have insecure owners, bet you are one of them and feeling stupid about it.

You lack comprehension skills, we've figured that out.

There's nothing for me to feel stupid about. I'm not whining about being kicked out after trespassing.

I don't own security orbs or even use ban lines.

I have no need to.

LL allows people to use them tho.

Lots of people travel around SL just fine.

As a land owner and rental companies owner, I can't at all accept your idea -- and you're just not thinking it through.

You're only thinking of how to make life nice for yourself in your own chosen recreation of riding around in a blimp. But that's only you, not hundreds of thousands of other people, and this is a shared rule where rules have to work for everyone.

If you make the orb "skin tight" from the ground up, on the perimeters of the parcel, they bang away and send home anyone who happens to even slightly ding them, if they are on a boat, say, and the land owner owns some of the water next to the Linden water. It means the ground and waterways are  miserable in the way you find the skies.

I as a landlord do not allow security orbs or ban lines on the ground for this reason. I require that they be up in the sky, 500 meters or higher. This is the height where generally most people don't see a build. I used to have 250, but people with higher draw distances could see it and it blighted the view.

If I put it at 500, you can fly at 250 in a balloon and plane and won't be bothered if the range is set correctly. But I don't see how I could demand that LL police this at any height -- it's not practical. 

In general, I'd like to see something else happen completely -- the total deprecation of bounce scripts -- period. Philip Linden once even contemplated this but his staff overruled him.

No one should be banged and bounced home like they're in some war game (which Second Life is *not) just because they  happened to come near your property. That's a weapon, and that's overkill. A slight bounce away like ban lines is sufficient but I wonder if that is really necessary.

Really, why do you need banlines? If you want privacy in your humper bunker, there is something else you can do now: turn off "avatars can see me". That means anyone else on any other parcel cannot see you -- period. So it means you have total privacy because you have invisibility.

There's a problem with all these airy considerations by people who like making rules for others that don't affect them.

You can't have a skybox over 4096 meters from the ground IF you want to have a teleporter on the ground that enables you to go up and down and visitors to go up and down via a screened list or group (or indeed simply kept open).

So that's the limit due to scripting limits for the "hack" that is sitting an avatar up into the sky.  Of course, people can live without teleporters but and just "set home" but many people want them especially for visitors.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Really, why do you need banlines? If you want privacy in your humper bunker, there is something else you can do now: turn off "avatars can see me". That means anyone else on any other parcel cannot see you -- period. So it means you have total privacy because you have invisibility.

For skyboxes, this works pretty well. The "parcel privacy" setting, however, depends on prying eyes staying outside the parcel, so at ground level it may even encourage banline use.

Even for skyboxes, though, the parcel privacy setting only really works if nobody can cam up from any height on the parcel. Most folks don't realize that, and of those who do, most don't care, but still: somebody at ground level on "parcel privacy" land may be secretly camming an orb-protected skybox thousands of meters over head.

bebejee wrote:

The typical security orb can only scan 96 meters in any direction, which meant that you were within 96 meters of private property. 30 seconds is a very reasonable time limit and you probably could have cruised through the protected bubble without even changing direction or speed before it was triggered. It sounds like you were distracted and then lost control of your vehicle. Second Life airspace is uncontrolled and therefore under VFR policies it's the pilot's responsibility to "see and avoid" hazards. YOU are a menace anything else in the air (yes, birds too.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.