Land Parcel Media streaming on an external website...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, bit of a strange one this one but can`t find an answer to it...

U have a website that I would like to stream a SIMs media stream on. Normally this would be easy with just getting a player to play a stream url from say Shoutcast.

The problem I have is that it is a live music venue and so this stream url keeps changing depending on who is playing at theat particular time slot.

Is there a way to utilise the "world.secondlife.com/place" information too get the media playing at that time? It seems all the other information is included in the meta data, but not the music stream?

I really just need to replicate somehow what happens when you jump from SIm to SIm and music changes anyway, or you toggle as a new artist takes over at a SIM...

Anybody able to help out wiith this?

Pj.
(SL: Cavey Charlesworth)

Cavey Charlesworth wrote:

Hi all, bit of a strange one this one but can`t find an answer to it...

U have a website that I would like to stream a SIMs media stream on. Normally this would be easy with just getting a player to play a stream URL from say Shoutcast.

The problem I have is that it is a live music venue and so this stream URL keeps changing depending on who is playing at theat particular time slot.

Is there a way to utilise the "world.secondlife.com/place" information too get the media playing at that time? It seems all the other information is included in the meta data, but not the music stream?

I really just need to replicate somehow what happens when you jump from SIm to SIm and music changes anyway, or you toggle as a new artist takes over at a SIM...

Anybody able to help out wiith this?

Pj.

(SL: Cavey Charlesworth)

Music streams like this belong/are owned by the performer during their slots. It's part of what makes SL so interactive and fun. The phrase "you had to be there" is accurate and fitting.  Some talents allow folks to listen remote and give out their URLs through group notices. Best advice, go have fun at the events:smileywink:

Yeah, I do go normally but I know some people who want to listen who can`t log into SL at the time and it is an actual venue that was asking me so their website could allow people to listen when they can`t get into SL.

I agree with the "You had to be there" bit but the flip side is that it allows more people to listen to the event than would normally be able to be there.

Big clubs like Ambrosia, Rez, Big Daddy`s would might be able to raise their audience numbers if their websites could play what those there could hear... Yes you could potentially have people who would listen without going there but i go with the thinking of "If it is the venue asking me if it can be done, then they are fine with that potential drop in actualy traffic to the site......"

Does anybody know if it is even possible though to stream things like this? Is it possible to get itonto an external site?

Pj.

Cavey Charlesworth wrote:

Yeah, I do go normally but I know some people who want to listen who can`t log into SL at the time and it is an actual venue that was asking me so their website could allow people to listen when they can`t get into SL.

I agree with the "You had to be there" bit but the flip side is that it allows more people to listen to the event than would normally be able to be there.

Big clubs like Ambrosia, Rez, Big Daddy`s would might be able to raise their audience numbers if their websites could play what those there could hear... Yes you could potentially have people who would listen without going there but i go with the thinking of "If it is the venue asking me if it can be done, then they are fine with that potential drop in actualy traffic to the site......"

Does anybody know if it is even possible though to stream things like this? Is it possible to get itonto an external site?

Pj.

many venues rent streams which cost per listener, 50 to 100 being normal,  200 listeners for example would max the stream and the SL Venue would suffer a lot of sound cutting out for its customers.

i think thats why most hide their stream Address (or try to).

Hello a combination of Linden scripting and some PHP could do that job for you.

But like said before, why would a club want listeners outside ? They don´t cause traffic or tip ....

Sometimes as i was DJ i gave my URL to friends who couldn´t or want to be on SL, but that was my choice.

Means, the club would need to ask all performers for the right to do ....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.