how to emote to a homeless guy asking for change?

hunnybun Chau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Rolig's right, this is probably not the right place to ask your question.

RP groups and their players have different styles. Some like short posts, some like walls-of-text carrying backstory. One thing they seem to have in common is a distaste for people like me, who when given the task of responding to a homeless guy asking for change, rob the rest of them and run off with him.

;-).

/me shuffles close with head bowed and eyes lowered.  It is obvious she (he?) has not slept indoors in a long time. "Spare some change" she asks in a hoarse voice then covers her mouth with her other hand and coughs. 

Or did I misread the question.  You need to come up with a response to that?

/me pulls her hand from her jacket pocket  She clutches a razor in her hand, blood from her last victim still wet on her fingers.  With a practiced flip the blade flies open. She holds the razor with reverence, like a musician with their most prized instrument.  For a moment there is no sound but the wind blowing cold across your cheek.  The silence is broken by the joyous giggles erupting from Rhonda's smiling lips. "You want change?  How about I CHANGE YOUR FACE!"

Or maybe something like ...

/me walks by without making eye contact.  As she steps away she suddenly stops and turns around.  "Here," she says, handing the man twenty dollars. "Get something to eat tonight."  Rhonda stuff her hands in her jacket pockets and continues on her way.

/me looks at Maddy with a playful smirk.  "Hush you. Iz fixedid it."'

• Like 1

The point is that YOU are supposed to emote.  Not borrow suggestions (and there are some great ones here!) from other people.

Roleplaying is acting, plain and simple.  How do YOU react when a beggar accosts you?  How would Hilary Clinton act?  Arnold Schwarzenegger?  Kim Kardashian?  Your priest or minister?  Roleplaying means playing a role.  BE that role.  Act as the person you are being, at that moment.

Technical distinction:  An "emote" is subtly different from plain speech.  Speech is what you say.  Emoting is what you DO.  Both are a part of roleplaying and combine to complete your portrayal.  In SL (and other online text based media) we emote by using the "/me" convention.  If you type "/me" before your text (some viewers allow the use of a colon instead) the following text becomes a "chat emote".  So, If I type, /me stares in horror at Rhonda, her eyes riveted on the bloody razor in her hand. the system shows it as, Lindal Kidd stares in horror at Rhonda, her eyes riveted on the bloody razor in her hand. 

In other words, I have described my feelings and/or actions.  That's an "emote".  I can combine that with words.  There are a couple of accepted conventions for that.  You can place your speech in quotation marks to separate it from the emote portion of your text:  Lindal Kidd stares in horrorn at Rhonda, her eyes riveted on the bloody razor in her hand.  "What are you DOING!"

Or you can separate the emote and the words into two separate entries:

Lindal Kidd stares in horrorn at Rhonda, her eyes riveted on the bloody razor in her hand.

Lindal Kidd: What are you DOING!

I recommend you take the Basic Roleplaying class offered by Professor Wendyslippers Charisma at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's open to everyone, and free to attend!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.