Why Forced update to old 3.7.28 viewer version.

Riddle Sideways

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm not a windows user, but I find it curious that the obsolete version of the viewer that your computer downloads is the last release that was compatible with Windowxs XP. I'm going to take a wild guess that the updater code in the viewer thinks its running on XP. Don't ask me how to fix that. I'll recommend installing a second viewer, like Firestorm. I always keep two handy so I can determine if problems are viewer or grid related.

The only time I've suffered Mac crashes is on laptops, when visiting venues that worked the graphics hard. MacOS would spool up the fans, and then start throttling the GPU clock until the viewer crashed. If your crashing happens in venues with lots of avatars, or very detailed builds, that might be the cause. Make sure your cooling system is clean, turn down your draw distance, decrease the number of non-imposter avatars, etc. That'll hopefully reduce any heat related crashing.

You might also find somethine useful here...

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_run_crash

Good luck!

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

I'm not a windows user, but I find it curious that the obsolete version of the viewer that your computer downloads is the last release that was compatible with Windowxs XP. I'm going to take a wild guess that the updater code in the viewer thinks its running on XP. Don't ask me how to fix that. I'll recommend installing a second viewer, like Firestorm. I always keep two handy so I can determine if problems are viewer or grid related.

The only time I've suffered Mac crashes is on laptops, when visiting venues that worked the graphics hard. MacOS would spool up the fans, and then start throttling the GPU clock until the viewer crashed. If your crashing happens in venues with lots of avatars, or very detailed builds, that might be the cause. Make sure your cooling system is clean, turn down your draw distance, decrease the number of non-imposter avatars, etc. That'll hopefully reduce any heat related crashing.

You might also find somethine useful here...

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_run_crash

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for quick reply, though not a fix.

Yes, I keep Firestorm around and am using it now, because ...

After today's non-complete clean uninstall (just an installer run), the SL viewer ran a couple sessions THEN it has again insisted on installing 3.7.28.300847 (the last XP version)

Yes, Firestorm is working fine.

I am going to go look into .log and dump files

+ a clue might be that if I answer 'ok' to the 'you must update with the old version' prompt then I get error that I must have XP or later.

2. (I know, I know, should not have 2 issues in 1 posting) I will look into this issue separately, but to answer you :)

this issue has happening before and after cleaning out the dust bunnies from the fans.

Draw distance is way lower than on FS and many other settings that some other posting have said.

SL viewer is the only app complaining about vid card. My laptop really does have some graphics driver issues, but SL viewer runs ok.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.