Maitreya Lara Still Freezes up on Sim Crossings

ChloeSilverPhoenix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seems that even the Maitreya v3.5 body still manages to freeze both the body and hud when crossing a few sim borders. This results in others not being able to see my body and it also happens with anybody using Maitreya Lara. Is there a way to fix this annoying flaw then logging out/logging back in every single time it does this?

ChloeSilverPhoenix wrote:

Seems that even the Maitreya v3.5 body still manages to freeze both the body and hud when crossing a few sim borders. This results in others not being able to see my body and it also happens with anybody using Maitreya Lara. Is there a way to fix this annoying flaw then logging out/logging back in every single time it does this?

Unfortunately no. The Maitreya is amazingly low lag for a mesh body but it's still a mesh body and that inevitably means seriously heavy load on the servers and even more on the client computers. If you want to play it safe, wear your mesh body only in private for your own enjoyment and maybe for that special friend.

Btw, what others see and don't see depends on their computers, not yours. Even if it looks perfect on your computer screen, there's no way of telling how it looks on others'.

Just a tip that might help you out.

I can't speak specifically to the Maitreya Lara body, but many of the mesh bodies (and mesh objects in general) will attach to your right hand by default.

This results in many objects on the same attachment point, and then things sort of start coming loose during teleports or sim crossings.

If this is indeed your problem, the solution is easy.    Just detach your mesh body &  attach it to another point on your avatar (I use "Center" for my Belleza body).   A rigged mesh object doesn't care what it's attached to, so just choose a point that's not loaded with other attachments already.

Hope this helps!

EDIT TO ADD:    I missed your point about the HUD freezing.   That would be another issue entirely, but I'll still suggest checking on where "Lara" attaches, and if it's the right hand, then move it to something else.

Dana Dielli wrote:

EDIT TO ADD:    I missed your point about the HUD freezing.   That would be another issue entirely, but I'll still suggest checking on where "Lara" attaches, and if it's the right hand, then move it to something else.

It attaches to avatar center as it should.

The mesh body failure has nothing to do with items detaching anyway. The body is still techincally attached, it's just that it fails to show up. Every time you teleport or cross a sim border, you essentially log on to a new server. All the scripts you are carrying with you have to be loaded on the new server and restarted and much of the rendering of your avatar will have to be done from scratch too. Even under the best of circumstances, that's really hard work for all computers involved. Of course with a heavy avatar loaded with scripts and fitted mesh, you're not anywhere near the best of circumstances and sooner or later something will go wrong.

As stated, another person not being able to see your mesh body is on them, not you, especially if most people can see you. Changing the attachment point can help, especially if the other person has an older computer and/or they haven't updated their graphics drivers recently.

ChinRey wrote:

Dana Dielli wrote:

It attaches to avatar center as it should.

The mesh body failure has nothing to do with items detaching anyway. The body is still techincally attached, it's just that it fails to show up. ...

Okay, I didn't know where Lara defaults to.    

I do know that Belleza Venus defaulted to my right hand, and when I moved it to Avatar Center as a friend suggested, my own problems with the missing body after a tp were solved.

In my case, my body looked normal to me, but was missing for everybody else in the room.   Perhaps a different issue than what this OP experienced.

Anyway, the more workarounds I'm aware of, the happier I am.    As you point out, given enough attachments, something is going to go wrong sooner or later anyway.

I've been wearing my Maitreya Lara mesh body for about two weeks straight now and have had no issue going from sim to sim. I do not wear the HUD unless I am messing with the alphas or tweaking the neck. Otherwise, it is off.  I don't know why you would want to keep the HUD on all of the time.   Not necessary.

To find out where anything is attached, add it then look in your inventory under current outfit or, in the case of some viewers like FS, the worn tab. Look at the item and it will tell you where it's attached. If you see almost everything attached to your right hand, time to move it. Take off the item the right click it in your inventory. Now, in that menu choose attach to. You'll get a list of all the attachment points. Your body, add to avatar center. Tops I like to add to right or left pec or upper arm. Lower attachements, like pants and skirts, go to one of the hips. If you have feet, add them to your upper leg. You'll never have them knocked off again. 

Some designers don't seem to understand that the mesh is an object and defaults to the right hand and needs to be moved. 

ChinRey wrote:

ChloeSilverPhoenix wrote:

Unfortunately no. The Maitreya is amazingly low lag for a mesh body but it's still a mesh body and that inevitably means seriously heavy load on the servers and even more on the client computers.

Actually most mesh bodies are not heavy load on the system. Most of them are quite low. Maitreya included.

I suspect the original poster has other issues and this one item is just the most obvious symptom.

A lot of people could actually reduce the lag SL suffers if they switched from old goods to more medern ones, mesh bodies included. While the mesh body is more lag that the system body, the difference is negligable for all but one of the big brands - and the gain would then come about because most of the clothing made for mesh bodies is better done and less laggy than older stuff.

That said... Maitreya is a wider open system than Belleza or TMP or even Slink - more designers making clothing. It is POSSIBLE the Original Poster is wearing a piece of clothing that was made for Maitreya that itself is badly made. There is one major shoe maker that makes shoes that are the lag equialent of wearing 10-20 copies of the body all at once... I wish I could name them here, because they pop up as "OMG you need to go buy from X" in almost every discussion about shoes I see...

Suggestions:

1. Detach the body and wear it again on an attachment point not being used by anything else that is also NOT the right-hand (because items by default attach there so it has a tendancy to get "crowded".

2. Go into About Land -> Script Info -> My Avatar... then post here a screenshot of the numbers you see in there.

3. Go to Advanced -> Performance Tools -> Show Avatar Complexity Information and post a screenshot showing the number over your head and your avatar.

The second two bits of data will help us understand the likely issues.

It is almost certainly NOT your mesh body. There are one or two bad mesh bodies, but that one is not one of them (in that regard - I am highly critical of Maitreya's avatar physics, but that is not a lag issue).

Just wanted to note that I have had my Maitreya body for over a year and wear it continously. I have never had any of the issues you discribe. The only thing that I have (rarely) seen is the texture on the hud button being fuzzy. So it is likely it is NOT the body but computers not being up to SL realistic standards. They are high. They have always been high. I don't see that changing :D.

Maitreya body gets attached at avatar centre by defauilt...

The problem with crashing body at TP and simcrossing is a connection problem Not your own connection but the connection between servers of your Internet provider and LL servers. When you are in Europe sometimes helps to change DNS server. 

Different updates of Maitreya attach by default to different locations. But yes 3.5 is avatar center.

I have an alt that has Maitreya. I just rezzed a copy of the purchase box, clicked it to open it, and did 'add' on the body.

It attaches by default to the Spine. But then I noticed my version was 3.4, so I went and got an update and saw Avatar Center on the update. Somewhere I have 2.1 on a furry alt and kept it because it was the last version I could make custom Alphas by photoshopping a transparency into the skin... but that's not worth noting because other than the rare furry, few people have the texture file to their skin... so I doubt 2.1 is used by many people anymore.

I'm still curious to see information on the OP's for scripts and avatar complexity. I think the issue is in that data somewhere.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.