How to create proper physics for simple mesh terrain?

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know how to create proper physics for mesh terrain? I thought using "use file" for physics would be the best possible quality since it's the exact same mesh model, but the collision is still terrible, it's a simple mostly flat piece with gentle bumps and my avatar hovers at least 1-2ft from it. Physics have been set to "prim" in edit mode already.

That thread is not that helpful, it only offers two suggestions, either optimizing the physics model or setting physics mode to "prim", both of which I already did.

Additionally, I'm using official latest viewer, not Firestorm x64 (which has a bugged mesh physics uploader).

Are you sure you are looking at the right thread? The first paragraph of my answer there gives precise intructions which, as indicated in the footnote, are for the "official" LL viewer. I can't see anything there about Firestorm. In case your browser is misreading the link, here is that paragraph again...

For accurate walkable landscapes, you will usually need two things. First, a triangle-based physics shape that matches the visible mesh. To get this, you have to select the high LOD as the physics mesh on the physics tab of the uploader, and to NOT click "Analyze".  Second, inworld, you need to set the physics shape type to "Prim" on the features tab of the edit dialog.

Note that you need BOTH things. They are not alternatives. The mesh used for physics is not "optimised". It IS exactly the high LOD visible mesh. You can simply select this on the physics tab. Then you don't need to supply the file again.

I'm not sure what you mean by "physics wireframe mode". Can you explain in another way? Did you click "Analyze"? Did you set the physics shape type to type "Prim" inworld? If you can take a picture of the physics shape display (from the Develop menu>show matadata,>physics shapes), that might help with trying to see what's wrong. Should be zoomed out to show most of the mesh. Alternatively, If you can leave it somewhere inworld where I can look at it, I will do so.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.