Crit my shape?

anvyre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

Was hoping for a second (third, fourth, fifth...:smileyvery-happy:) pair of eyes. Been playing with this for a few hours. This shape is for a roleplay Tolkienesque elven female - long, lean, delicate, etc.

The length and proportion measurements come from Penny Patton's Vitruvian Amazon female shape tool. The - uh - softness? comes from trying to squeeze my Maitreya Lara into Mon Tissue's Silk-Tucked Pencil Dress without alphas and without curve exaggeration. The width (and double-checking lengths) comes from Pussycat Catnap's Belleza Isis Proportionate Shapes And Physics Kit.

Now that that's all said and done, why doesn't this avi look amazing? Something's overwhemingly not right. Is it the head? I hope not - it's super hard to find a long face like this without Angelina Jolie lips. Stubby neck? Narrow shoulders? Too stretched out?

Halp. All thoughts appreciated.

For only messing with it for a few hours, it's looking pretty good :)

There are a few areas I would tweak if it were my avi.

First, I'd narrow the shoulders a little. Maybe it's true that in rl your shoulders are a little wider than your hips usually, but in SL I personally think it looks better the other way around. Otherwise it gets a little linebacker-ish. 

Next I'd up the love handle slider a bit. Most people don't really have sunken sides. Unless they're into wearing corsets. 

I'd shorten the hips just a tad, a teeny bit to keep the bum from looking saggy, and then I'd widen the shape a little... however you said elven, so in this case super slender works. I'd also shorten the arms a teeny tiny bit. Although on the same hand, elven would probably lean towards lanky so maybe ignore that one. 

I have a store in the mp that I sell shapes (no I'm not trying to sell you one lol) if you search my name there, you can see if you like my idea of attractive before you try any of my tips :) I'd offer to help inworld, but I'm rarely on anymore so that wouldn't really help much :matte-motes-dead:

I think the torso and arms look a bit long.

Comparing to this picture for example:

You seem to have the torso length of the picture on the left and the arm length relative to the body of the shape on the right. Tweaking them both to look like the proportions of the one in the middle I think, would look better. You aren't far off, but that is really all I can see I would tweak.

Here's a proportions chart I like to use.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-txfiIZunDE8/VeMCq7srM2I/AAAAAAAABgA/gLoFhsD6a28/s1600/irony-alert-ironic.jpg

There are many others if you want to google some and see what you can work with.

The shoulders are good for an elf, the hips could be just a tiny bit wider (I would do that with Saddle bags), the torso is a little long and the arms are very long.

If it were me ... I would add 3 to 5 points to body thickness, shorten the hips to 35 and add 3 points to the saddle bags.   Take 5 points off of the torso and add them on to the legs.  Finally, set the arms to 80, then adjust length until the top knuckle of the thumb is in line with the bottom of the crotch.

Looking at the side view of your av, it seems to me the head is just a tiny bit too large.  Maybe just adjust the slider down a couple of digits.  It just seems as if the head belongs more to a child/toddler size av as human children do tend to have largish heads for their bodies.  And I agree about the arms being too long.  You need to look waifish to fit the nymph or fae description. I don't know how thin you can get your av, but I'd go really slender.  However I wouldn't necessarily flatten the boobs out as much unless you want to be sort of a genderless being.  As for the face, if you want to change it a bit, I'd do eyes slanted upwards at the outer corners and high cheekbones.  A little gauntness is to be expected in a nymph I think, so as to look more like a fantasy species. You might also want to apply your fae/nymph ears before adjusting your facial features.

It sounds like you're trying very hard to make your avatar's sliders be What They Are Supposed To Be. Stop worrying about what other people think, especially those who say that These Are The Correct Slider Value Ratios. Copy your shape and then start experimenting with the copy - grab and pull the sliders and see what they do. Nobody else can tell you what your avatar is supposed to look like, especially given that you're an elf and there's no Gray's Anatomy for elves that I'm aware of.

I'm a little confused about your comments about the head. The shape sliders for head shape and lip shape are pretty independent. If you're using a mesh head and don't like it? Don't use that head, or a mesh head at all. Mesh heads are very limited right now and are only good for certain looks. In fact, at the risk of committing blasphemy, I'll suggest that you might not even want to use the Maitreya body. It's also designed for a certain standard typical look which may not be what you want.

Make the legs longer, add a bit of meat on the hips and see how you like the longer neck too. 

As someone in this thread already said, its okay to look at real life proportions (or movies) but don't forget that this is a fantasy world and your character can look whatever you feel like its best at a certain moment. 

rez two prims, one on top of the other with no distance between them (when you make a new prim, the option "copy selected" and "center copy" will make a duplicate of the thing you've selected with their edges touching).

Link them.

Stretsh the whole thing as a unit until it is the same height as you. Where the prims meet will be in the middle, and that spot should be at the center of your crotch.

Get your avatar in a 'T-pose' and flip this pair of prims sideways. The prim pair should not be as long as the distance between the fingertips of each hand.

Your head should be about 1 / 6.5 of your height big.

The rest of anatomy details are... detailed... and would require a lot of tweaking around:

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/getting-good-body-proportions-in-second-life/

- That's a guide I've made.

My proportions kit is specific to belleza in the shape it comes with, but it also comes with a bunch of prims that are divided up into the right proportions - stretch them as the instructions say to, and it will show you how big other parts of your body should be.

The head is too big and not proportion if it is an adult body. It looks like a 6-8 year old kid.  If you want it to be proportion, stay away from numbers and "ruler" measurements. Those only works on a 50mm lense camera view. Always depend on your eyes when making shape. What i do is after i think i'm contented with the shape i made in "edit mode" i wear several types AO's and it makes alot of difference. You'll end up doing adjustments and adjustments and adjustments until you are fully satified with the body (in motion/ AO).

Try adjusting only the head, then wear clothings, and hair then put her in action until you see some flaws. Another one is the *Body width. If you dont want to adjust the head or maybe the head is already perfect size for fitmesh hair then go make your body wider. Other think body width will make your avi look fat or plus size if you slide it up but it's actually like the partner of height. Whenever i change my height , there is no way i wouldn't touch the Body width sliders. 

Looks realistic to me and quite similar to my own shape.  I think the head looks in good proportion for a real-life woman if you compare with photos but it could also be a bit smaller and still be realistic because of natural variation between individuals. Try the shape with hair and clothes to give a more day-to-day look and that might help you decide if you think anything wants tweaking.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.