My AO won't work? I keep putting it on and off and nothing is happening?

AliceDarkWidow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This happens a lot, and I'm guessing sometimes for different reasons but idk. I always use the same AO now, and I'm not planning on changing it any time soon, but something always seems to go wrong. Sometimes when its says its on, my avatar isn't doing the poses at all. I checked /ao on and /ao off in the hope that would do something but it didn't.

It happened the other day when I accidently clicked on the wrong outfit to change into. All my newer outfits had my new AO on, but I accidently clicked on the old version of the outfit, with a different AO that I had grown out of. I took it off but my avatar was still fixed in one of the poses from it, and when I tried putting on my new AO it came on but did nothing. Also my avatar wasn't doing any walking at all when I tried to move her, she literally just slided along the floor in the same standing pose.

It usually works and has been fine, but I am constantly getting these AO problems. I detach and attach it again and again, I teleport to other rooms in the hope to activate it, I log off and on etc. Sometimes it works but I'm tired of not knowing if theres a proper way to fix your AO straight away. Sometimes I've had to wait days for it to work again, other times its just one day.

I would really like to know how to fix this, because it happens quite a lot and its getting on my nerves.

Thanks if anyone answers this ^^

1 answer to this question

Modern AOs work by substituting custom animations that you (or whoever sold you the AO) put in it for the standard, default animations that you would be using otherwise.  Even if you detach the AO, it will retain those substituted animations until you relog (or turn it off deliberately).  Older AOs, however  -- made more than a year or two ago -- only do a temporary substitution.  They play whatever custom anims were loaded into them, but they animations disappear if you detach the AO or turn it off. Most people aren't aware of the difference between old and newer AOs, and they don't see confusing behavior unless they get in the habit of attaching and detaching the AO a lot.  That may be part of what you are experiencing.

It's also possible that you are simply attaching and detaching your AO in places where you shouldn't.  Almost all AOs are scripted to continue working in regions or parcels where scripts have been turned off, so that's not normally a problem -- unless you have attached the AO while you are in a no script area.  If you do that, the AO won't work at all.

All in all, I'd advise you to stop attaching and detaching your AO so often, and to only do it if you are in places where you are allowed to run scripts.  If you teleport to another region (not "room" -- we don't have rooms in SL), just leave your AO alone.  It should keep running properly.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.