Why does prim furniture often have a thin transparent prim the it sits on?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

steph Arnott wrote:

colour is gross.

Imagine having to visit my aunt and sitting on that in a proper little niece color matching dress with bobby-socks and patent leather shoes and then when you try to get off of it or slide off and you find that your are stuck to the plastic by your leg skin. Eeeeeeew!

If you mean the seat, scripts like AVsitter need multiple prim targets if you want more than one person sitting. If you men the prim on the ground, it's usually the drop shadow. But creators who buy full perm templates do it (at the request of the original creators) so that their name shoes as the creator.

HarrisonMcKenzie wrote:

If you mean the seat, scripts like AVsitter need multiple prim targets if you want more than one person sitting. If you men the prim on the ground, it's usually the drop shadow. But creators who buy full perm templates do it (at the request of the original creators) so that their name shoes as the creator.

Also it simplifies re-use of animations from one product to another: It's quick and easy to link to a new piece of furniture a single prim containing an already configured and populated animation engine. It may need some tweaking to get the positions and rotations to perfectly fit the new item, but it's faster than starting from scratch animating the furniture itself -- especially when furniture items orient coordinate systems differently. (I'm not advocating this; it's frankly a bit lazy to hang an extra prim on an object if it already has enough for its llSitTargets.)

(I'm curious, though, why the OP specifies "prim furniture" in the title. Maybe we're missing what's really being asked.)

I put a shadow under everything, sometimes joined to the mesh, sometimes not, depending on the LI -- sometimes a separate prim is better --  because without a shadow under it, it looks unnatural. A lot of people, including me, do not keep shadows turned on all the time because of the performance hit -- but if you do not want a shadow you have the option to make the shadow transparent or remove the prim.

And yes it is a PITA to make shadows for everything.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.