RP on SL - Veteran MU* Questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I've kept away from SL RP pretty much since making my first toon 8+ years back due to not really knowing how it is handled on SecondLife.Most all of my experience is with straight text-based RP games like MUDS/MUSH/MUX where the emphasis is on painting the scene literally without visual queues and poseballs and gestures.

Is there a place for an old text-based RPer in SL RP? Or is the play so much different or the learning curve too harsh to try?

I'm interested and itching to do so rolepay but tentative to the extreme that my style would not mesh.

The style of RP varies from RP sim to RP sim.  Some are very informal - short sentences, no specified posting order, etc. and others are paragraph RP with a strict posting order.   There are also many that are inbetween those two extremes.  

I would suggest visiting RP areas that are in the genre(s) you're interested in, and then reading their notecards and rules so you can see what their particular style is. 

NCI and Caledon Oxbridge both have basic RP classes that cover some of the "SL" specifics and emoting tips, which may help give you ideas about how RP is done here. 

I can only speak from exdpierience in what I do RP in Fire Departments and EMT/Paramedic. In those type of RP and Ghostbusting, it is action  not just typing in sentences. There are certain things you do in that like click on the trucks and hoses. You also wear the hoses and use moucelook to shoot water at a fire that is put out using it. Same with the ghostbusting you click on a hud with traps and proton thrower. I have tried the para rp before but prefure more action then just standing around typing.

You should totally give it a try. It might take some adjustment, but you may also end up having a lot of fun with it. ^^

I came to SL from text-based RPs too, and a lot of things are different, sometimes in good ways. I generally look for sims that are aimed towards paragraph roleplay, where people do more writing and there's less use of HUDs and objects. A lot of people find those things fun too of course, but para-RP is more similar to fully text based environments. You might also be able to find groups that don't RP in sims but instead use group chat and IMs, but I do think it's the most fun to take advantage of the visual element that SL can offer.

It can never hurt to try though. Worst that can happen is you decide it's not for you. And if people are jerks because your style is different and you're still learning, they're not really worth playing with anyway.

the styles of rp are really different, and what you said is mostly called para-rp here on sl or pharagraph rp.

you can do it that way not moving  at all but in my opinion, use chat for that.

i mean if you have poseballs, animations, and even script whats the point of not ussing them. in fact i do very graphic and interactive rp's where mostly everything you do or say is back up by something really happening in most cases. but really thats me, even so i was told my rp's are really inmersives and they almost feel being there.

not because I really "show" the scene but you can almost live it (specially if you set yourself into mouselook) because i do not use im for anything.

so, you like rping and you want inmersive, i suggest you try. its not hard, i learned in just 2 weeks to be better than others in sl that has been here for years. (not all of course).

feel free to ask me in-world if you want.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.