best way to edit objects from different angles?

TimeofSilks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

not sure if this is suppost to be in technical, but what is the best way to edit objects in a house? Is it rear view or mouselook view? I am trying to edit items in this house in different angles and its getting tricky. I use camera controls, but they dont seem to help. Can anyone help me find better ways of editing lights or items from different angles? Thanks~

1 answer to this question

As with most things you do, there is no "best" way except the one that you feel is most efficient and comfortable.  It's a matter of personal style.  All I can tell you is what I do to make my life easier. 

First, I open the Advanced menu (CTRL + Alt + D) and check Limit Select Distance and Disable Camera Constraints.  Doing that makes it so I can get really close to things that I want to focus on and it means my camera won't get stuck inside walls.

Then, I get rid of the truly annoying Camera Control widget, which I find difficult to manage gracefully.  I make all camera movements with the CTRL, Shift, and Alt keys plus my mouse, like this...

Then, I keep what I am working on centered on my screen.  That's really easy to do if I Alt + left click on whatever I want centered.  Once I've done that, the camera will rotate or tumble around that focal point as I use the CTRL + mouse or Alt + mouse combinations.

Some people like to derender bits of a structure as they work, so that they can see what's behind or inside them.  I find that confusing, personally.  Instead, I select prims that are in the way and just move them aside for a while.  So long as I remember to put them back before I log out, I can get them right where they were originally by selecting them and doing CTRL + Z.  (I know people who find my method awkward too, but it's all a matter of what you're used to.)

I work with the region sun set to mid-day so that I don't get distracting shadows.

I'm sure there are other things that I do too, but those are the basics that pop to mind easily.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.