Jump to content
15peter20

Can I really be reported for this?

Recommended Posts


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Darrius Gothly wrote:

I couldn't read it. I don't know how to log in ...

Nor do I. But all you need to know is before the fade. Here's another story about the story...

 

 


Indeed .. a fast read. And terrifying at the same time.

All I could think of was those sedentary, obese, lay-abouts populating the ship in the movie Wall-E. Is that our future?

(Here's where I step on toes .. hang on)

America is hot in the middle of a political war between the past and the future. The two camps take positions based around jobs that have been shipped overseas. I understand the need to have a job, not only to put food on the table but also to provide that all important self-image.

When I worked manual jobs, I knew that if my body was tired, my physical skills and stamina were not up to par, or I had the misfortune of getting older .. I would be out of a job. But when I transitioned into a mental job I knew that I could tune my skills faster, retain my edge longer and would improve every day just by reading and listening.

Our economy is struggling in the same transition .. and our leaders seem intent on slamming us back into jobs that get harder, less profitable and more impossible as we age. If there is one thing that typifies the American worker, it is our advancing average age.

So doesn't it make sense to spend more money on building those requisites that improve with age, rather than on those that disimprove? After all, the one thing we ALL can count on is .. we will get older. (subtle poke elsewhere)

Just askin ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


steph Arnott wrote:

Then stop acting superior when some of you clearlty are not. In my culture, those older behave like adults with wisdom to offer and not like adolecent children going on about. "oh , you need spell checker, gigggle, hehe"

 

Way to change the subject! Just to make my point about how someone "might as well hold up a sign" saying they are over fifty, as if this was a shameful secret: other things besides age you might think people are ashamed of but are not are their skin color, their birthplace, their sexual orientation, disability, or religion. Lots to be bigoted about, for those who are inclined that way.

And since you brought it up, as a former teacher of English I will say this: if you cannot spell, don't be ashamed, spell check is your friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Darrius Gothly wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Darrius Gothly wrote:

I couldn't read it. I don't know how to log in ...

Nor do I. But all you need to know is before the fade. Here's another story about the story...

 

 


Indeed .. a fast read. And terrifying at the same time.

All I could think of was those sedentary, obese, lay-abouts populating the ship in the movie Wall-E. Is that our future?

(Here's where I step on toes .. hang on)

America is hot in the middle of a political war between the past and the future. The two camps take positions based around jobs that have been shipped overseas. I understand the need to have a job, not only to put food on the table but also to provide that all important self-image.

When I worked manual jobs, I knew that if my body was tired, my physical skills and stamina were not up to par, or I had the misfortune of getting older .. I would be out of a job. But when I transitioned into a mental job I knew that I could tune my skills faster, retain my edge longer and would improve every day just by reading and listening.

Our economy is struggling in the same transition .. and our leaders seem intent on slamming us back into jobs that get harder, less profitable and more impossible as we age. If there is one thing that typifies the American worker, it is our advancing average age.

So doesn't it make sense to spend more money on building those requisites that improve with age, rather than on those that disimprove? After all, the one thing we ALL can count on is ..
we will get older
. (subtle poke elsewhere)

Just askin ...

But Darrius, we cannot count on getting older. That is why every day this side of dirt is a precious gift. (Something a thirteen year old may not have figured out).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steph,

One bit of wisdom I've gained over the years is "Aim your anger at the true source of the irritation, not at innocent others." You are clearly angry at me for suggesting you use the spell checker, yet you took out that anger on someone else. Was that wise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pamela Galli wrote:

But Darrius, we cannot count on getting older. That is why every day this side of dirt is a precious gift. (Something a thirteen year old may not have figured out). 

Ahhh .. true dat. But I'm pretty certain that once I make that transtion, I'll not be so worried about things like politics and food on the table.

(at least I bloody well hope not! LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:

We cannot count on getting older. That is why every day this side of dirt is a precious gift. (Something a thirteen year old may not have figured out).


I won't speak for you, but I need to be reminded of this now and then.

Thanks!

;-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Darrius Gothly wrote:

One bit of wisdom I've gained over the years is "Aim your anger at the true source of the irritation, not at innocent others." 

I've learned that aiming my anger at anything that can think clearly is probably unwise, as I don't think clearly when angry. This is why, after being rankled by asshats, I walk out into the yard and hurl epithets at the deer. Those giant rodents are getting so used to my yelling that they now just bite off a chunk of my hedge and stare at me while they chew on it, just to spite me.

Asshats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not quite sure what to think about the jobs of the future. Clearly repetitive factory work isn't something we want to bring back here. The Chinese are being displaced by robots, and challenged by Vietnamese and Indian labor. I think "home plumber" might be the world's safest job. Any robot that tries to crawl under my kitchen sink to fix a leak in the soap dispenser is going to end up becoming a permanent part of the decor. I almost didn't make it out alive the last time I tried it.

AI has the potential to really mess up the aspirations of a lot of white collar desk jockeys. In the form of autonomous vehicles, it's got the potential to disrupt like crazy, both close to home and far away. Military drones worry me as they remove humans from only one side of armed conflict. I have no trouble imagining how that galvanizes the opposition.

But there is no going back, so those leaders you see intent on slamming us back into the past are dangerously clueless.

Nevertheless, I remain optimistic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:

We cannot count on getting older. That is why every day this side of dirt is a precious gift. (Something a thirteen year old may not have figured out).


I won't speak for you, but I need to be reminded of this now and then.

Thanks!

;-).

YVW -- we all ought to read Emily's monologue in Our Town once a week, and be aware that we won the greatest possible lottery being born at all, along with all the subsequent lotteries. We ought to jump out of our safe warm beds  every morning and give thanks on our knees for our great good fortune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with Phil Deakins.  It's really not nice to lead someone on with an identity that is so completely the opposite of what they think let alone for two whole years.  You should have ended it as soon as it got serious or you should have told this person beforehand.  Some people might have said "no big deal" and carried on, and others might have decided  this wasn't what they bargained for.  But this poor sod never got a choice because you didn't give him one.  I say shame on you.

You may now carry on with the technology forum (or was it age discrimination forum?) this thread has turned into, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:


steph Arnott wrote:

No one under thirty uses this "FIFY
" it like putting a sign up that says "i am 50 plus years old"

And?  Thanks for the information but so what?  

You seem to think 30 is the epitome of intellectual development and fashion sense. 

 

PS Ask anyone over thirty if they would like to be thirty again. They won't.

Speak for yourself, Pammy! I'd definitely like to be 30 again. For one thing, I wouldn't marry the woman I did marry  :)

On the other hand, I am older - much older - and very proud of my age

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Loralinda wrote:

Totally agree with Phil Deakins.  It's really not nice to lead someone on with an identity that is so completely the opposite of what they think let alone for two whole years.  You should have ended it as soon as it got serious or you should have told this person beforehand.  Some people might have said "no big deal" and carried on, and others might have decided  this wasn't what they bargained for.  But this poor sod never got a choice because you didn't give him one.  I say shame on you.

You may now carry on with the technology forum (or was it age discrimination forum?) this thread has turned into, lol.

Great scott! An on-topic post. This is indeed a rarity :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:


steph Arnott wrote:

No one under thirty uses this "FIFY
" it like putting a sign up that says "i am 50 plus years old"

And?  Thanks for the information but so what?  

You seem to think 30 is the epitome of intellectual development and fashion sense. 

 

PS Ask anyone over thirty if they would like to be thirty again. They won't.

Speak for yourself, Pammy! I'd
definitely
like to be 30 again. For one thing, I wouldn't marry the woman I did marry  
:)

On the other hand, I am older - much older - and 
very
proud of my age

Well you are making my point. If you were 30 again, you'd be as clueless as you were at 30 again.  

Not that 30 yr olds are all clueless but unless you are someone who doesn't learn, you will know and understand a very great deal more over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:


steph Arnott wrote:

No one under thirty uses this "FIFY
" it like putting a sign up that says "i am 50 plus years old"

And?  Thanks for the information but so what?  

You seem to think 30 is the epitome of intellectual development and fashion sense. 

 

PS Ask anyone over thirty if they would like to be thirty again. They won't.

Speak for yourself, Pammy! I'd
definitely
like to be 30 again. For one thing, I wouldn't marry the woman I did marry  
:)

On the other hand, I am older - much older - and 
very
proud of my age

For a small monthly stipend I promise not to tell her you said that. (Remember, she knows where you sleep! LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pamela Galli wrote:

Well you are making my point. If you were 30 again, you'd be as clueless as you were at 30 again.  

Not that 30 yr olds are all clueless but unless you are someone who doesn't learn, you will know and understand a very great deal more over time.

Ah, but you didn't say 30 without the knowledge gained through the years ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darrius Gothly wrote:

For a small monthly stipend I promise not to tell her you said that. (Remember, she knows where you sleep! LOL)

You can forget that. If she doesn't already know, and I'm sure she does, I don't mind you telling her :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Darrius Gothly wrote:

Steph,

One bit of wisdom I've gained over the years is "Aim your anger at the true source of the irritation, not at innocent others." You are clearly angry at me for suggesting you use the spell checker, yet you took out that anger on someone else. Was that wise?

Not at me, I hope.  We are teasing each other but I don't think any of it was intended to be hurtful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:

Well you are making my point. If you were 30 again, you'd be as clueless as you were at 30 again.  

Not that 30 yr olds are all clueless but unless you are someone who doesn't learn, you will know and understand a very great deal more over time.

Ah, but you didn't say 30
without
the knowledge gained through the years
;)

There are some tings I know now that I did not know at 30 that I wish I never had to learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like realising that my chosen partner was going to turn out to be the wrong choice :)

Actually, in my case, choosing to get married at all was a big mistake, irrespective of the age I did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:

Well you are making my point. If you were 30 again, you'd be as clueless as you were at 30 again.  

Not that 30 yr olds are all clueless but unless you are someone who doesn't learn, you will know and understand a very great deal more over time.

Ah, but you didn't say 30
without
the knowledge gained through the years
;)

I've always presumed that these "If I could do it over again" hypotheticals must come with the caveat "without knowing what I learned from doing it the first time". So the exercise seems pointless to me. How can I know that I'm not on my 1000th repeat? And if I did keep all that I've learned when the clock is rewound, I suspect things would get worse each cycle.

The inescapable problem of this hypothetical situation is that, for each bucket of wisdom you scoop from the lesson pool of life, two more are added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

The inescapable problem of this hypothetical situation is that, for each bucket of wisdom you scoop from the lesson pool of life, two more are added.

Hmmm... I've always considered this more a benefit than a problem. Wisodm has proven to be the one thing I can take from everyone without them missing it. I can also give it away all day long and usually end up with more than I started with.

Maybe I just need a bigger bucket ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rhonda Huntress wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:

Well you are making my point. If you were 30 again, you'd be as clueless as you were at 30 again.  

Not that 30 yr olds are all clueless but unless you are someone who doesn't learn, you will know and understand a very great deal more over time.

Ah, but you didn't say 30
without
the knowledge gained through the years
;)

There are some tings I know now that I did not know at 30 that I wish I never had to learn.

But think if you were among those who had to learn, but didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:

Well you are making my point. If you were 30 again, you'd be as clueless as you were at 30 again.  

Not that 30 yr olds are all clueless but unless you are someone who doesn't learn, you will know and understand a very great deal more over time.

Ah, but you didn't say 30
without
the knowledge gained through the years
;)

I've always presumed that these "If I could do it over again" hypotheticals must come with the caveat "without knowing what I learned from doing it the first time". So the exercise seems pointless to me. How can I know that I'm not on my 1000th repeat? And if I did keep all that I've learned when the clock is rewound, I suspect things would get worse each cycle.

The inescapable problem of this hypothetical situation is that, for each bucket of wisdom you scoop from the lesson pool of life, two more are added.

I agree. Just making the point to Steph that people who are over 30 generally do not spend any time wishing they were 30. Or 14. She seems to think that if one is much older than she is, one must surely regret and be ashamed of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...