Can I really be reported for this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a confession to make.. i umm slightly accidently cheated on my alt...

But seriously, I suggest you try somewhere like eharmony or rsvp or match.com if you are looking for a real relationship.

but in SL you can and will make friends with other avatars as there are real people behind them!

On 3/5/2016 at 7:02 PM, 15peter20 said:

I am male in r/l but have been playing a female character on SL for the past two years. I got into a text-only r/ship with a real man/male avatar on SL which was interesting to RP, mostly as an experiment to see whay people in SL get up to.

Recently, after 8 months of 'virtual dating', this man became moody and insisted on hearing my voice. I turned on my mic and admitted I was a r/l man.

He is now claiming he will report me to LL and get me banned for life for 'deception'. So I'm wondering - does he have any basis for this? Or is he just ranting because he feels stupid at not asking me to verify r/l details earlier?

No, you should be ok.

Yes, he should not have assumed your RL identity.

I feel like *morally*, it was wrong, because it'd been long term enough for real feelings to be involved & he must've made it clear he believed you to be female?

But *legally*, as far as the ToS/CS then no, you did nothing wrong & if Linden Lab investigated all reports like this, then prim babies really would have to grow up to be Lindens because they'd have no time to do anything else, like lag the hell out of my pc so I can't talk! (Ok, I probably do that all by myself)

• Like 1

I tried to read through this old thread, but I was laughing and shaking my head so much by the end of the second page that I decided it just isn't worth it.

Gosh, someone isn't the same gender as their avatar.  Even if they are, maybe they are married in RL but claim to be single - or vice versa.  Or maybe they are 80 in RL and claim to be 30.  Darn, darn, darn.  

The only real issue here is that the two people involved in this 'relationship' appear to have not communicated very well - and that impacts nobody except those two.  And while some folks here might find that morally wrong, there are others that don't.  Such is life - we do not all have the same morals.

This is the internet.  Anybody that assumes RL stuff based off of things said or done in SL are taking a chance at being completely wrong.  That is the fact of SL and anything on the internet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

So we can be thespians? =~.^=

Since we are on the derail team anyway ...

What I want to say:

They told me that to make you fall in love I had to make you laugh.  But every time you laugh, I fall in love.

What I really say:

It's insane how fuking amazing your tongue feels against my body

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is the internet.  Anybody that assumes RL stuff based off of things said or done in SL are taking a chance at being completely wrong.  That is the fact of SL and anything on the internet.

Begone with your logical logic! This is the SL forums where crazy runs amok. amok amok amok

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Look back through this thread gave me an idea.  We should start an SL Drama Club!

Only if we can quote everything Shakespearean.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

.Internet_dog.jpg

Edited by Jerilynn Lemon
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only real issue here is that the two people involved in this 'relationship' appear to have not communicated very well - and that impacts nobody except those two.  And while some folks here might find that morally wrong, there are others that don't.  Such is life - we do not all have the same morals.

Wrong. It impacts only one of them - the one who was deceived.

You are right though - not everyone has the same moral standard. Some have a low moral standard. The OP appears to be one of those. They are the ones who don't find anything morally wrong with what the OP did for 2 years.

4 hours ago, Suki Hirano said:

If he didn't spend any money on you, then no LL will treat it as a complete joke.

If you actually "tricked" him into spending significant $ on you, then it's considered fraud and you can be arrested.

Even that, within SL, is highly unlikely unless it actually crossed into RL.  If the other person simply spent a lot of L$, there isn't much that will be done by anyone.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2016 at 4:14 AM, Dillon Levenque said:

Perrie Juran wrote:

And you also reminded me of the Martian and the Cat. 

:)

I'd completely forgotten about that one, and I even had a couple of very tangential posts in it! You and Maddy are both right, though: Janelle Darkstone was/is brilliant. She could make you burst out laughing either with the written word or with her fabulous imagery. I'm not anything like an Internet cosmopolitan; the only forum I ever joined was this one (I later added one more, but wasn't really anything like active there until maybe three years ago) so this statement may not carry much weight (sing it, Paul!) but I have never seen anyone on this forum to equal her combination of brilliant artistry and fall-down humor.

I don't know if she could cajole actual humans to acquire the facial expressions and body language she used in the avatars that were part of her stories, but if she could I'd purely love to see a movie she wrote and directed. She could certainly create a graphic movie, let alone a graphic novel, that would be a massive hit.

She was constantly funny and constantly expressive. When she changed her avatar it was an event! at least for me (speaking of which I like the Carnivorous Clover, Maddy). One of her last was the mini-skirted tank-topped babe with her thumb out to hitchhike, a big-ass 18 wheeler coming her way in the middle distance. A volume of story in an instant of image. And her constantly changing and constantly funny forum signatures, one of which I still use whenever I can do so appropriately.

"Of course you can have a cookie! Now get in the van."

Disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been in love with Janelle Darkstone. But damn, she is amazing.

She is like Marmite, but she is amazing.

I may have been a little in love with her back in the day.

I felt like necroposting - was going through some old stuff in my personal files, decluttering and all that. 

Happy New Year ! 

Edited by Marigold Devin
to be sure
  • Like 1

Just to clarify what you can be reported for, here is the old list of AR categories. LL eventually simplified it a bit but some third party viewers still give you the full range of options. Pay especially attention to the three I marked with red arrows. Those are very serious ones and very easy to overlook.

image.thumb.png.66fb652aa7db96a337c3d076f823d960.png

Edit: I'm way too nice to AR anybody myself of course so I haven't looked at the list for a while and now I notice there is a curious omission: There is no category for a Disturbing piece. 😮

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.