Can I really be reported for this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And if he was a recent widower with a fragile heart and all too vulnerable to deception then he has just been wounded in the most horrific of manners.

See? Again you are imposing preconceptions on the situation. You don't know anything more about the other guy than .. he's a guy and he got upset. What gives you the right to judge him? YOUR history? YOUR past bad experiences?

The only one you can honestly judge is the one in the mirror.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I've heard coaches and teachers say it's easier to work with someone who knew nothing about a sport/subject than to work with someone who'd been taught bad habits / wrong information.

I worked with a fella from MIT, who said that never having learned BASIC was a prerequsite for one of MIT's C language programming courses. The supposition was that the corruption caused by learning BASIC was irreversable.

I'm suspicious of the story, but it's amusing to comtemplate.

Reminds me of Vince Lombardi:

"He took nothing for granted. He began a tradition of starting from scratch, assuming that the players were blank slates who carried over no knowledge from the year before… He began with the most elemental statement of all. “Gentlemen,” he said, holding a pigskin in his right hand, “this is a football.”

Then he'd go on to teach them how to put on their socks. 
:)

I think it's important to understand that what we "know" may be wrong. That shouldn't feel uncomfortable, but it's unthinkable for some. I've always thought the claim "women change their minds" would give us the advantage if true.

A couple years ago, I learned that I'd always been tying my shoes wrong. It took awhile and I'm still slower than before, but I've learned the right way now, or at least until I learn that's wrong, too.

I've posted this before...

BASIC to C was an easy step; did it one weekend. C to C# took longer. But if you want a language that can really break your brain try Forth or APL.

BTW: I had previously taken interim steps into PL/1 and PL/M when moving from BASIC to C. (And wrote a compiler for a derivative of PL/M called PL/EX .. but that took a few months as my only storage devices were two cassette tape players. LOL)

Long Live the Exidy Sorcerer!!

Darrius Gothly wrote:

BASIC to C was an easy step; did it one weekend. C to C# took longer. But if you want a language that can really break your brain try Forth or APL.

BTW: I had previously taken interim steps into PL/1 and PL/M when moving from BASIC to C. (And wrote a compiler for a derivative of PL/M called PL/EX .. but that took a few months as my only storage devices were two cassette tape players. LOL)

Swap, drop, **bleep** (oy, they bleeped n i p), tuck and roll! Who wouldn't love Forth? I liked LISP, too, and SmallTalk. Though I love assembly on anything that's not X86 (what a mess), I've finally settled into C. But now I'm thinking about Swift.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I've heard coaches and teachers say it's easier to work with someone who knew nothing about a sport/subject than to work with someone who'd been taught bad habits / wrong information.

I worked with a fella from MIT, who said that never having learned BASIC was a prerequsite for one of MIT's C language programming courses. The supposition was that the corruption caused by learning BASIC was irreversable.

I'm suspicious of the story, but it's amusing to comtemplate.

I don't understand where or how to draw comparison of C to BASIC or BASIC to C.  Go figure.  Perhaps the fella meant COBOL? But even then . . . 

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Swap, drop, **bleep**, tuck and roll! Who wouldn't love Forth? I liked LISP, too, and SmallTalk. Though I love assembly on anything that's not X86 (what a mess), I've finally settled into C. But now I'm thinking about Swift.

I still hack SmallTalk.  A wonderful language.  

ROFL!! (wait .. that's not another language .. is it?)

I knew I'd suss out the oldbies among us. LISP! What a hoot that was. I would probably remember it better, but that was during the days when I was chemically enhancing my programming skills. (Yes kiddies .. doping is not just for athletes.)

HEYYY!! What's wrong with x86 Assembler? I did some of my best work with C3 and C9 opcodes. (Quick .. anyone remember what those were?) The Z-80 instruction set was like letting out a pair of tight shoes .. relieving!

/me hurries off to Uncle Google to find out about Swift ...

DejaHo wrote:

Perhaps the fella meant COBOL? But even then . . . 

COBOL's wordier than I am! And I know, it was designed by a girl.

;-).

Yes, and there are many other brilliant minds in technology who just so happen to be girls.  

DejaHo wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

;-).

Yes, and there are many other brilliant minds in technology who just so happen to be girls.  

Yep, though not enough. Female STEM enrollment is declining. I'm having frustratingly little luck getting the neighborhood girls interested in STEM, though one 15 year old has asked her drivers ed instructor to teach her stick so she can drive my Miata.

I'm not having much luck with the boys, either. STEM just doesn't seem as cool as when I was a teen. Maybe the ubiquity of it has made it less interesting?

DejaHo wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

;-).

Yep, though not enough. Female STEM enrollment is declining. I'm having frustratingly little luck getting the neighborhood girls interested in STEM, though one 15 year old has asked her drivers ed instructor to teach her stick so she can drive my Miata.

I'm not having much luck with the boys, either. STEM just doesn't seem as cool as when I was a teen. Maybe the ubiquity of it has made it less interesting?

As technology evolves so does its students.  Ebbs and flows, ebbs and flows.

DejaHo wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

;-).

As technology evolves so does its students.  Ebbs and flows, ebbs and flows.

PS And your 'neighborhood' has like 8 females and 26 guys?  The odds are against you.

Maybe I'm confused but .. when did external apparatus have anything to do with programming skill. One of the best managers and coders I ever worked with/for was female. And one of the meanest tricks ever played on me by a fellow student in a programming class was by a female.

(She replaced all the "FORMAT" cards in my Fortran IV final exam with "FOMAT" cards. 300 pages of core dump later ... LOL)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Maybe I'm confused but ..
when did external apparatus have anything to do with programming skill
. One of the best managers and coders I ever worked with/for was female. And one of the meanest tricks ever played on me by a fellow student in a programming class was by a female.

(She replaced all the "FORMAT" cards in my Fortran IV final exam with "FOMAT" cards. 300 pages of core dump later ... LOL)

Damn, Darrius, it's all about external apparatus! 

DejaHo wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

. One of the best managers and coders I ever worked with/for was female. And one of the meanest tricks ever played on me by a fellow student in a programming class was by a female.

Show me your buffers .. and I'll show you my (card) deck.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

^, Darrius, hit on the chicks, not me!

DejaHo wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

^, Darrius, hit on the chicks, not me!

Meh! For all I know you're secretly a chick playing a male avatar. Heck .. for all I know I'm a chick playing a male who has a male avatar that is so confused sometimes ... okay most of the times. *giggle*

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Interesting read:

Her Code Got Humans on the Moon—And Invented Software Itself

We must not forget Grace Hopper, the inventor of the term "Software Bug". We owe her a LOT lot lot .. on both sides of the development screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.