Sign in to follow this  
Proto99

dilemma

I left sl for 6 month,and now i get to the same dilemma

when i build whit prim,i feel like my build is ugly,

But i like to walk in my build as i build it ,interact,whit the object.see light and colore.

I can build mesh,but it out of sl,in an emptis space,i came in sl upload and go back build offline,

builder in sl are AFK,and the people talking look at you whit big eyes when you talk about build,because they are hanging in sl,

and yes i do know there is nothing can do about it,that the dilemma,

Stay inworld and build crap or leave sl,and build mesh in empties space.

I might try play mindcraft,there every people build crap ,but they have fun together.

may i suggest an merge prim option in the viewer ,to make more complex shape using less prim count,as when you upload mesh,it will consider how much value the new shape complexity.using the outside surface of the merged prim,

I agree with you that mesh has changed the life of creators. Just not as much as you might suspect. Texturing was always done outside SL, unless you just slap a texture on a prim, that I don't consider to be texturing. Sculpties were also made in 3D software, so are animations. 

That is just progress, good or bad, that's in the eye of the beholder. About being AFK to build, yes, you spend a lot of time AFK or on the Beta grid to test the builds. But then, when I would build in prims, a few years ago, I would be unavailable too. You cannot chat and concentrate on a good build at the same time. So I would either use my alt or just be incomunicado (or get very grumpy at friends, lol) ;-P

There are some tools that let you build in prims In-world and convert that to mesh. That way you will spend more time in the game and less time in 3d software. And using that you can walk inside your build if that is what you like. I like that too, so I get what you are saying very well. It took me some time to get used to just orbiting a camera trough a build in Blender. It just feels different, you get a less specific idea about sizing if you don't work in-world. But you cope, you get used to it after a while if you give it a chance.

So there other solutions, no need to build just crap:-)

Proto99 wrote:

may i suggest an merge prim option in the viewer ,to make more complex shape using less prim count,as when you upload mesh,it will consider how much value the new shape complexity.using the outside surface of the merged prim,

This is probably never ever going to happen. This would be like taking a step backwards. The future is mesh for (most) building and in mesh you can make any shape desired. There will always be some room for classic prims. Sometimes, when making very large builds, classic prim will be a LI saver, some use it for collision, sometimes, again, especially in large build, sculpts are a better option. The disadvantage of sculpts is that they have a high number of faces tho. You can get lower face counts in mesh then in a sculpt. To make it even more complicated, when you use a large mesh, you will get punished in LI, large mesh, large count. This is not the case for sculpts. In time everything will have it's place in building. Mesh is not God's gift to builders, prims are not always ugly or old school, sculpts are the "freaks of nature" in SL but will not die out any day soon because large meshes are (way too) high in LI! It will settle :-)

To add: you can export your prim build as mesh then reimport it, with some viewers. So there is the ability to fuse prims.

Yes indeed, Singularity and Firestorm both have this option the last time I checked. It worked for me on Singularity, never tried it on Firestorm. You would need some skills to ad LOD's and physics in a 3D tool tho. For the OP this might still be an appealing option.

so they force people to get in to 2 group ,the builder and the no builder,

i need to get an viewer from os grid,to export my object..

why we cant make animation in second life...will it be so hard do make it so,

avastar,why it not an update of the second live viewer letting people edit there mesh avatar in world,

Sorry of my frustration,but why,will it be so hard,

you turn every thing in mesh ,but the viewer is not suitable,to even edit a mesh.....

Anyway,i dont build anymore,i made a slot,i will get rich :D

Proto99 wrote:

You can, although the specific scripts with which I'm familiar require a bit of external text-editing and an upload (and only for .bvh, not .anim, but that may be only a limitation of the particular tool I've used for years). And you're absolutely right: for all the wonders of mo-cap, there are times when the in-world reference makes all the difference for designing an animation.

The thing is, this would have been a perfect Third Party Viewer extension, but (as far as I know) nobody built it.

When we consider the baffling array of features that have crept into some viewers, we weep for their opportunity costs.

--||-

Proto99 wrote:

so they force people to get in to 2 group ,the builder and the no builder,

i need to get an viewer from os grid,to export my object..

avastar,why it not an update of the second live viewer letting people edit there mesh avatar in world,

Sorry of my frustration,but why,will it be so hard,

you turn every thing in mesh ,but the viewer is not suitable,to even edit a mesh.....

Anyway,i dont build anymore,i made a slot,i will get rich
:D

There is no force, like in RL there are ppl that make stuff and ppl that buy stuff. That is the market model as it has always been and always will be in any world that has an economy of some form. It is up to you what you will be.

The viewers we talked about are not specific to Open Sim, they are just some viewers that are not uncommon in SL. In fact, Firestorm is maybe even the viewer most used in SL.

Yes, it would be so hard to implement your wish list to the SL viewers! And a lot of ppl's hardware will not run that kind of heavy software. Then I suspect you would be back to tell us that it is unfair that just some ppl can use this. The software would just get too heavy for the average player's machine! 

Avastar... I own Avastar and that is not used to edit your mesh avatar. It is used to make avatars, attachments, animations and such. 

Yes, it might seem to you everything around you turned into mesh. But then again, it all was mesh from the beginning. A prim is a mesh, every avatar was always a mesh. The viewer is build to interact up to some point with mesh. You can use the sliders to change the looks of your avatar. That works for the user made mesh bodies too. Up to a point ofcourse, every software and platform has it's limits and they always will. That never changed. As to editing meshes that are not avatars, you can edit them. Resize, rotate, move, just like any classic prim cube can be edited. How much you can edit them is up to the creator. Just like it always was from the start. 

It is ok to get frustrated by changes, especially when you feel like they go way over your head. We all felt like that at some point I guess. It would be less frustrating if you do not make it your goal to get rich fast in SL. The days SL would make you get rich fast are over. It is just a lot of hard work, a lot of studying, trail and error, creativity, determination and a hard head ;-P

Yes, it might seem to you everything around you turned into mesh. But then again, it all was mesh from the beginning. A prim is a mesh, every avatar was always a mesh. The viewer is build to interact up to some point with mesh. You can use the sliders to change the looks of your avatar. That works for the user made mesh bodies too. Up to a point ofcourse, every software and platform has it's limits and they always will. That never changed. As to editing meshes that are not avatars, you can edit them. Resize, rotate, move, just like any classic prim cube can be edited. How much you can edit them is up to the creator. Just like it always was from the start. 

I really like this part :)

i notice,they change the starting avatar,but the default body and shape are still the same..
as none of those mesh avatar are mod,or can even fit together,what is making all those mesh worst than ever,
keep in mind this is my opinoin nothing more,
i will keep build whit the inworld posibility as i like walk in it and make script(basic),
and if you see a prim avatar scripted it me :)

I feel your pain, as I loved building with prims, and it's what attracted me to SL initially. It's a great way to get a feel of spaces; being and building in the same realm. Then like many others, I migrated to mesh. It's good, and bad, and yes has changed our 'social/class structure' in SL, not always for the best.

One suggestion, and this is something I do occasionally if ever building something bigger-

Create your building in SL with prims, just the general blocks, to get a sense of space. Walk about in it and enjoy that process. Then transpose those measurements into the 3D program you like to use, and finish the build there. Test it out in the beta grid before bringing it into SL. Not a perfect solution, and it still takes you out of SL to build, but it might give you some good out of both approaches.