Interviewing SL players for Documentary

ajmeneyerji

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just some thoughts on reading your post.

It seems like you are coming into SL with an agenda. From your avatar info you are two days old. This of course may be a "new" avatar but I am wondering if you have spent a lot of time in virtual worlds.

I make machinima and in that process I have had lots of "outsiders" contact me wanting me to make a film for them. The films in their minds seemed perfectly valid but had nothing to do with the reality of virutal life. Hence, it was very difficult to explain things to them or to work on a project with them and indeed there were some big bucks involved and I said "no". They  hadn't been inworld long enough to even pick out a good outfit, let alone actually understand what is going on. It was like beating your head against the wall to break through their preconcieved notions.

There are tons of folks who have been here for years spending several hours to all day behind the computer screen. Your post suggests you want folks to jump up, wave their hands and say, "whoa look at me -- I'm disfunctional and I want to be famous for it".  Honestly there are artists and creators and designers and teachers and entripenures all here -- some making a living in the vitural envirornment. Others just enjoy much or playing house with virtal goods. They can have many things here for pennies on the dollar compared to the corporeal world.

If I am even close to my perception of where you are coming from, then I suggest taking the time to understand what you are trying to protray -- AND coming into the project with a more open mind that you seem to have. 

Hopefully I have compltely misread your post OR you were just trying to get some hits on your film LOL which I did NOT click on *wink*.

Best of success.

Did you delete your other post, or was it removed?

You really need to rethink your documentary, as I said in your other thread, and use something more original, rather than taking the name of a documentary(and likely plenty of others) that came before you by the same name.

This particular genre can be a fierce one, and I'm not so sure that a production company formed in 2015(though they claim 2014, elsewhere on the web) is ready to jump head first into the kind of documentary you're trying to create, because of the nature and the lack of experience or knowledge about the platforms on which you're attempting to recruit subjects.

Consider that constructive criticism from someone that truly enjoys such documentaries, even terrible ones, and would actually love to see it, provided a lot more research and effort was put in.

ajmeneyerji wrote:

a wide array of issues regarding our excessive use of social media and technology including; deception, self-control, social etiquette, addiction and a host of others topics.

I do not have enough experience with most of those topics in this platform to give a useful (to you) opinion.  Like any other endeavor, you find what you put in.

excessive use of :

- social media; this ain't it.

- technology;  do you have an app on your phone that controls your toaster? What is technology?  Does using a wheel count as using technology?Considering its age, SL falls closer to the second example.

If you need help with social etiquette (and believe me, you do) feel free to contact me.  I actually enjoy helping new people get comfortable with Second Life.

Good luck.

ajmeneyerji wrote:

We are working on a documentary on the hidden dangers of technology, and would like to interview players of the game Second Life.

We are a Montreal-based production company called “To The Chopper” and are currently working on a documentary called “Disconnected” which explores a wide array of issues regarding our excessive use of social media and technology including; deception, self-control, social etiquette, addiction and a host of others topics.

If you haven't spent much time in SL yet, I suggest spending several months first visiting a wide variety of what is available here before deciding upon a list of issues to focus on pertaining to SL.  I'm still new here compared to others that have responded, but my first reaction is that SL is not 'social media' but 'creative media'.  Personally, I don't come here to socialize necessarily - there are other platforms for that.  

I spent awhile yesterday visitng sites from my collection of LM's - a variety of types of places - stores, gardens, scenic areas, amusement parks, role play areas, SL historical areas...  What always strikes me when I travel around to a variety of places like that is the creativity of what was built by other residents here.  The different visions, styles, atmosphere of areas.  The technical expertise needed to visualize and implement their creative vision on what was initially a flat piece of virtual ground, and allow you to feel immersed in that when you visit. 

Residents have real people behind them, so all the good and bad that you find in humanity outisde of using any type of technology will be present, because that's the way people are.

SL is a very diverse place, and the residents who inhabit it are very diverse, as well as having very diverse reasons of why they are here and what they do here.  If you jump on the current band-wagon of 'technology is bad' and focus on just those aspects, I believe that you will be doing a disservice to SL, its residents, and your audience for the documentary.

Deception?  I have only been here a week and I can tell you about deception.  I met someone at a club last night and asked them to dance.  We chatted for a few minutes, one thing lead to another, but then I found out that they were not a robot cat at all!  Don't they have a way to check this stuff out first?  I almost did things with them  What kind of pervert do they think I am?

ValorWhit wrote:

Deception?  I have only been here a week and I can tell you about deception.  I met someone at a club last night and asked them to dance.  We chatted for a few minutes, one thing lead to another, but then I found out that they were not a robot cat at all!  Don't they have a way to check this stuff out first?  I almost did things with them  What kind of pervert do they think I am?

Hey, I said I was a "cat".

You made the jump to "robot cat".

That's not my fault!!!!

And the worst part is... I thought you were my kind of pervert!

;-).

I work for a film company, and our focused is not solely on SL. I just want to include it in a segment for others to get an understanding of the virtual. At the end of the film, our point is to get people to use technology responsibly. Like a well-balanced diet.

I played SL while in university over five years ago when it did not lag as much as now. I stayed on it way too long and eventually gave up my account. I am by no means a newbie. I currently play WOW and spend a lot of time in virtual worlds. I mean no disrespect. I just want to cover all basis of our documentary; the good, the bad and the ugly.

In SL like WOW you can play and earn a living and most people do not know this. 

Let me know if you want to chat further?

A wheel is a technology, but I was referring to technology in the realm of communication. 

I may need your help after all. I have been out of this community for over 5 years now. I was trying to approach it business and to the point.

I still need to interview just one person and not an entire community. If you are up for it? 

ajmeneyerji wrote:

I work for a film company, and our focused is not solely on SL. I just want to include it in a segment for others to get an understanding of the virtual. At the end of the film, our point is to get people to use technology responsibly. Like a well-balanced diet.

I played SL while in university over five years ago when it did not lag as much as now. I stayed on it way too long and eventually gave up my account. I am by no means a newbie. I currently play WOW and spend a lot of time in virtual worlds. I mean no disrespect. I just want to cover all basis of our documentary; the good, the bad and the ugly.

In SL like WOW you can play and earn a living and most people do not know this. 

Let me know if you want to chat further?

So, despite being someone that plays games, likely more than he should, and has participated in sl, you have a very negative opinion of sl(technology in general, despite your own reliance upon it), and you want to share that...through an unoriginal documentary, about something you haven't even researched at all, but want others to do the work for you...Are you sure this isn't some "assignment"? 

Yeah, you're not going to do very well with this, lol. I highly recommend checking out all of the previously done documentaries, including those that included sl as well as online gaming and reliance upon technology, so that you can get a better grasp on both what it is you're really wanting to focus on as well as how to best approach it. Your approach here, is terrible...and you still haven't answered the question of whether or not your original post was removed, or did you remove it yourself because you didn't get the answers you wanted(in either case, re=posting it, was stupid on your part, and only proves the theory that you're not serious in the least).  People in sl arne't very likely to want to be your guinea pigs, if you cannot disprove the theory that your entire focus is going to be negative...in fact, sl residents are likely a bit tired of that old shpeal by now..

As for  this part...

"In SL like WOW you can play and earn a living and most people do not know this."

You clearly did not actually participate in sl in the past, nor the current time period either, if you really think this, lol. MOST residents, new to old, are very familiar with the fact that you can play and earn a living. It's no hidden secret, and  never has been. It's one of the things that draws folks in, actually. 

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

ValorWhit wrote:

What kind of pervert do they think I am?

The kind that would screw a cat but not a human? :smileyvery-happy:

Not a cat.  A robot cat.  Our kids would have awesome robo nija kitty transformer claws that could cut through concrete, steel and even last year's fruitcake!

ajmeneyerji wrote:

A wheel is a technology, but I was referring to technology in the realm of communication. 

I have joking so far but I know someone who is involved with communication technology.  You sould send ajmeneyerji Resident an IM in world.  That what he does for a living and he is a 5 year resident of SL.

As I mentioned in what was more than likely this deleted thread people are mentioning, it would be wise to not come into a community and crap all over it. If you wanted to ask for legit opinions about SL and it's players, you shouldn't be coming in with such a negative agenda. SL has been dragged through the mud for years, so I'm pretty sure people aren't going to cotton up to you if you start crapping on their hobby and looking for trouble.

And judging from the other replies, it looks like I'm right.

If you want to interview me about how much fun I have in SL and how it's getting me to polish up my modeling, graphics, and creative skills, go ahead. If you want tto know about how SL can be used to help or harm people, that's cool. But if you come into a community and suggest that everyone is nithibg more than lying drug addicts with social problems, you've proven that you aren't going to approach the subject like an adult.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't actually see the 'crapping all over SL' that people are getting worked up over. I watched the video that was linked. It looks frighteningly accurate imo. It doesn't look like people coming in to oggle the weirdos lol, I believe it's just a look at how technology is playing a villainous role in social disconnect. That is nothing new. That is something you can see any time you go to a restaurant and see tables full of people looking at their phones instead of their dates. You see it going to amusement parks, and families are so busy tapping away at tablets and phones that I don't understand why they bothered leaving their house. 

I will interview with you if you haven't found anyone. I see where you're going, and I find it interesting. 

I think the opposite is true as far as technology goes. The casual connections made online in SL can lead to very real life...er...responses. I would not like to be interviewed for your little piece. Yet, I'd suggest a guy who I've been "associated" with whom most anyone here can guess the name of. He loves appearing in such things. Went bonkers a while back, but got his sanity back and has returned. Interview HIM. He'll love it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.