What constitutes degraded performance?

SegmentationFault String

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Several times today I have gotten the message:
"We are sorry, Linden Lab has discovered degraded performance on your connection to the region you are on. You will need to restart Second Life and log into a new region for the next 30 minutes to an hour. We apologize for the inconvenience."

What conditions trigger that message? My system is reasonably fast, with 16GB RAM and a mid-range gaming graphics card; according to speedtest.net I'm getting about 4.9Mbps throughput (for a rural connection, that's amazingly good). As shown in the attached screen shot my fps rate is excellent (the 323 is misleading since I didn't get this until after SL stopped rendering anything; normally it's between 35 and 90). There have been no changes to my connection, my drivers, or my hardware since yesterday. I tried clearing my cache but that did not help. The message came up on relatively unoccupied sims, not heavily crowded areas.

NOTE: I am aware this is identical to JIRA issue #VWR-25566 but after some five years that still has no answers, just more people reporting the same message.

If I at least knew what factors cause it to display that message I would have a better idea where to diagnose potential problems on my end, but as it is the message is completely useless in terms of troubleshooting.

I should have known when I chose my screen name that it would be all too prophetic...

2 answers to this question

I've never seen that message myself, but I think my interpretation of it would be different than yours.  It sounds to me as if they are saying that they need to take that server off line for at least a half hour. The fact that they are advising you to log off and relog rather than simply teleporting to a different region suggests that the servers for your current region may not be able to guarantee a smooth transfer of your av and capabilities to whatever region you travel to. They are not saying that your end of the connection is too crummy for SL.  If that were the case, they wouldn't tell you that it was OK to relog right away.

EDIT:  I suppose that the problem could also be in some node between you and the SL servers, not with the connection at either end.  You might try doing a trace along that route to see if there are any obvious trouble spots.

• Like 2

I think Rolig has right. I too think it is more likely a server issue rather than a problem on your side.

Since you are seeing good connection numbers, it probably isn't the connection.

That you have a good Internet connection does NOT mean you have a good connection to the SL servers. You can test the actual connection to the SL servers using this information: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ ...not that you need to, but for future reference...

Ping time in the viewer is not the PING time most of us think about when we do a network ping. The viewer value has factors from the viewer and servers included. A PING commend from the Windows command line will almost always give you a better number. 

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how fast the packet travels across the network, if it has to wait at either end, server or client.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.