Photo Contests

tonic4you

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi  to all

I would just like to add this as i am really against it,  all these  photo contests  that go on around sl, or any other ones come to that,  i really  don;t think that anyone involved with the  contests  should even be allowed to enter them,  to me it just makes it look like it's  fixed or  much of a  farce,  the   whole idea of these   contests  is  the helpers enjoy  doing it and set  it up and watch others have fun by entering ,  thye do it   from the good ness of thier hearts knowing they don't need to enter  them !!!     isn't that  the    proper  way to do contests,  it's purely     "Joe  blogs"   who enters  ,  this is my personal  thoughts on the matter anyway  and  i am sure many would agree with me  .   Thank you  very much for reading.  Tonic4you

tonic4you wrote:

Hi  to all

I would just like to add this as i am really against it,  all these  photo contests  that go on around sl, or any other ones come to that,  i really  don;t think that anyone involved with the  contests  should even be allowed to enter them,  to me it just makes it look like it's  fixed or  much of a  farce,  the   whole idea of these   contests  is  the helpers enjoy  doing it and set  it up and watch others have fun by entering ,  thye do it   from the good ness of thier hearts knowing they don't need to enter  them !!!     isn't that  the    proper  way to do contests,  it's purely     "Joe  blogs"   who enters  ,  this is my personal  thoughts on the matter anyway  and  i am sure many would agree with me  .   Thank you  very much for reading.  Tonic4you

Contest owner/creator/whatever makes the rules. If potential entrants do not like the rules, they do not participate. It really is that cut and dry. If one has questions about the rules, he or she should ask them beforehand. 

When you make/create/own the contests, you get to make the rules.

No one forces anyone to participate in any contest they do not like. There is hardly a shortage of them in sl, they're always around, everywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love to do photography in SL and I have been doing that for a long time. There used to be a time when I would enter contests too... That stopped after a few bad experiences, about how you describe it, most of the time it is a waste of time. Sadly these contests are not what I would call " fixed" but the artists that enter rely on votes. Those votes are mostly given by friends of the artists, if not all. So they are actually contests to show how many friends/clan members/family members you have ;P.

My experience was that after all voting was done, I'd sometimes get an IM the ppl that organized the contest that my pic should have won but I am not the type that has 1K of friends voting for me. I'd assume my picture would be judged, not my social status, lol.

Even the contests that are organized by LL, like Halloween contests, work this way. So I would like to vote.... to have at least some of the contests are judged by a "real" jury.

I have experience similar to yours River. In the end I decided to just enter my photos cause I like doing them, I dont care about 'winning'.  If my photo gets critiqued or comments, so much the better. I dont ask my friends to vote. 

I was pleased though,  that this last LL competition is being judged but a team and not on votes received. 

I will let myself be inspired by the way you look at this. You are very right, it's not all about winning. I still do photography and maybe I'll enter a contest once more, just for the sake of the art :D

And about that last contest, hehe, I missed that lil fact. This is good news!

This thread reminded me of many years ago when I used to go to clubs. Not a lot, but I did. I went to one place a number of times because my gf at the time hosted there. They had contests every time, which the popular DJ mostly won - because he was a popular person, and definitely not because he was the "best in" stuff.

They had a "best in 50s" contest one time, so I bought an Elvis outfit and entered. They had no choice about it because of the outfit, and I came =1st. BUT THEY WERE WRONG. The Elvis outfit was like his Las vegas outfits, and not from the 50s at all. The outfit didn't make any attempt at the 50s.

That'll teach 'em! :D

Normally the worst costume wins, because of spite voting. If everyone has to vote to enter the contest, and you can't vote for yourself, it's not in your interest to vote honestly. So everyone dumps their vote on the worst costume... and the guy in the Vegas Elvis costume wins ;)

I have never entered a competition with the expectation of winning. I enter for the fun of it, often with efforts that poke fun of the contest. SL is too small (and insular, and anonymous) a world to expect contests to be well executed, fair, or important. For me, that doesn't make them any less fun to enter.

In RL, I've never won the Cedar Creek Bed Race. It has always been enough to have people come to me after the race and say "That was just plain weird" while I savored some Chipotle at the outdoor Chili Bar. And I get to see all the other nutty people who take the time to get weird along with me, with no expectation of winning.

The journey is the reward.

CheriColette wrote:

I have experience similar to yours River. In the end I decided to just enter my photos cause I like doing them, I dont care about 'winning'.  If my photo gets critiqued or comments, so much the better. I dont ask my friends to vote. 

I was pleased though,  that this last LL competition is being judged but a team and not on votes received. 

And I'm glad you just do things because you like doing them. A virtuoso is her own reward.

Thank you!

;-).

The club I frequent doesn't have costume competitions, partly because of the possibility of vote drama*. We do have a costume night (and other themed nights through the week), but there are no competitions, no judging**, and no prizes. Most people dress up anyway.

*apart from vote dumping, there's the potential for 'vote for your friends', 'vote for the popular people', and 'vote for your Master/Mistress' (it's a D/s-friendly spot). 

**of course there's loads of judging. Just not for prize money.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.