I accepted an item(bottle of wine)by accident but it disappeared.Could it be malicious? Cant find it

ednispr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

ednispr wrote:

I accepted an item, bottle of wine by mistake. Cannot find it in my inventory to delete it. Could that be a malicious object? Just curious, never happened before. Can they do something to your account with an item you accepted? Thank you.

Try looking in your "objects" folder - that's the default location for items you receive in-world. If you were sitting at a bar or something like that when you received it, it may have been a "temporary attachment", which will never appear in your inventory and should disappear as soon as you change poses or stand up.

There's almost nothing an object sitting in your inventory can do, especially to your account in general. Your inventory is basically just a list of things sitting on a server. For a malicious object to cause problems it either needs to be worn/attached or "rezzed" in-world.

• Like 1

No.  Something that is just in your inventory can't harm you at all.  Your inventory is not really full of "things", after all.  It's is basically like a table of contents -- a lookup table -- that the servers use to find the parameterized descriptions of items that you have permission to use in world. When you decide to use an inventory item, you are asking the servers to retrieve its description and "manufacture" a virtual copy.  The item doesn't exist in world until then, so it can't do anything.

If you can't find an object that you accepted, the most likely explanation is that it's filed in an unexpected place with an unfamiliar name.  Click the Recent tab in your inventory and then use the little gear icon in the lower left corner to Show Filters.  Adjust the time frame to see everyuthing that you added to inventory during the past few days.  My guess is that your wine bottle is in there somewhere. If so, you can delete it or do whatever else you want with it.  If it's not there, then you apparently didn't receive it after all, and you can stop worrying completely.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.