Getting started

ValorWhit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there.  I have a ton of questions, to the point where I am just now learning how much I need to learn.  I will start with just this for now.

Does anyone have any tips for finding things on the Market Place?  Searching for hair: 140,000.  Cut this to men's, 20,000 (so right there I know where men stand in the virtual world, but OK, whatever) . Now there's facial hair, hairbases, lots of 90's boy-band hair, lost of repurposed women's hair.  I can sort by rating but that tends to bring up a ton of old styles which look great on the picture but have a lot of transparent issues when actually worn. 

I found some hair I like eventually but wow, the time involved is high.  I tried adding -keyword in the search but I don't think that is correct.  Is it NOT keyword? I should have tried that earlier.

Am I missing something most people know already?  

While I'm asking, where can I find a good male skin?  Must work with Slink and not look like it has been wallowing in the mud.

What you want to do is not buy anything yet. You want to get used to SL first before dumping a ton of money into it.

Start by going somewhere like New Citizen Inc and learning how your avatar works. If you just started, you are wearing a premade mesh avatar, and you will pretty much want to remove that immediately, since it's hard to work with. If you decide to go with a designer mesh avatar later, that's fine, but you need to learn how attaching objects works before you should think about that.

Once you know how to wear clothes, start shopping. Start with freebies, sales, and hunts, and if you look on MP, look for promos and dollarbies. Not only will hunts and sales keep costs down, but it will hopefully lead you to a bunch of stores that you otherwise wouldn't find. Menstuff has a hunt on right now for the next few days of pretty good items, but the group does have a joining cost (it's worth it though). There are also eyes, skins, shapes, and hair in the hunt, so it's more than just clothes.

Word of warning when shopping. Stay away from mesh avatars, and look for demos for everything to try on before you buy. Mesh avatars are fine, but you may find things don't fit them and that special mesh avatar items won't fit other avatars, so it's just a headache right now. For the time being, look for "Standard Sizes" (words like medium or XL). This is a set of largely standard shapes that help keep clothes the same size. Fitted mesh is also something to look at. Though these are by no means foolproof, since some M clothes fit like L or S, and some fit mesh won't work right with your avatar or outfit.

Once you have an avatar and an outfit or two, and know how to get dressed, you can start shopping around on MP and inworld. You'll have a better idea what you need and what you want, and can start narrowing your search that way.

Other tips. Look for an AO (animation override) so you don't look like a dork. And figure out a way to sort your inventory, because it will turn into a complete mess in no time.

I hope that helps, and welcome to SL.

I'm with Harrison on this one. Spend time in world not in the marketplace, poke around the freebie shops, poke around the clubs and see who is wearing what. Practice your chat up lines on shop assistant bots.

Also check out the younger than 30 day freebies and gift cards, some are good some not so but all worth a look: https://fabfree.wordpress.com/fabfree-30-days-list/

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions but free is not my style.

I currently have a slink body, a skin I can use with it, hair and 1 change of clothes and have bought as much money as I can until next week.

And since I am here anyway, I want to apologize for all the noobs out there.  We must really be a nuisance.  I haven't had a problem going to stores but the music scenes I find with event search seem to toss me out more often than not for being underage.  It kind of makes me feel nostalgic; I have not been tossed out of a bar for being under aged in a long time :)

Hi, and welcome to SL.

First bit of advice; guard your heart because things move fast in SL.  It's not fashion advice and will only make sense in hindsight but there it is.

Market Place search's problem has been a long running issue and I don't see any changes happening soon.  The + - has been broke for years but AND and NOT do work as well as quotes for exact phrases.

hair AND mesh NOT "female only"

Here's another hint, use word search first, then use the category picker on the left to narrow your results. 

About skins: 7 Deadly Skins has some nice looking male skins. Try the demos, group gifts and the lucky chair prizes to see if you like their sytle.

Which brings up the cardinal rule of SL shopping.  DEMO!  Demo demo demo. No demo = no sale. 

Get the Omega applier hud and install it. It will help some with your search. Don't discount appier clothing to layer with the mesh. Use Slink male for a search term. I know L&B (Lapointe and Bastchild) has mesh for the Slink male body. A nice casual look.

Also check out the Mesh Body Addicts blog. She has a lot of sellers listed there.

I'm probably going to get jumped for this, but I suggest people watching. If and when you see a style you like, right click on their avatar, and 'inspect' it. You can get designer and store names that way, and then plug those names into the store/merchant tab in the mp and browse specific stores. (or go to the inworld store ofc)

Don't go swiping anyones whole look though, that tends to tick them off ;)  

Editing to add- Also try monthly events like TMP, or FaMeshed. 

Editing Again to add- It doesn't matter how much you try narrowing down your search in the MP, chances are high there's thousands of piles of junk to dig though to find anything nice. Try searching things like ''short brown wavy hair'' or ''navy slink lowriser jeans'' 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.