search

nikita Jefferson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can anyone shed light on how search works, it baffles me.

I have a large shop, full sim

.For years i ranged from 3rd position to 5th position depending on traffic if i searched skins.

I made a small adjustment to the description and next crawl it put me in 5th and no better even with good traffic , the best i could do was fifth.

Stupid me i made some keyword adjustments,this morning i am way back on page 2 about 20 positions from the first position.

Why in the world would making a chnage to a description thow one so far back in search.

As i understood it your position in search depends on traffic not what you write.

Stupid ridiculous secondlife, this afternoon i am 72 places back in seach when i have been in 3rd for years and all i did was change the description in my search text, what bloody effect does that have on search position, thanks a lot you sl morons bad enough you steal inworld sales with MP you screw the inworld merchamnt, mad your damn right i am mad , spitting fire, you have ruined my business .

I damn well wish creators had gone to other worlds, if they had things i need there i would go, land is 100 times cheaper free uploads, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It searches for the word or words you've typed into the search box, so if you've changed the description of your land it'll change the outcome of your search. Change the description back to what it was when your search results were best and it should improve again.

I wonder, is it possible that you switched your own viewer search setting, to rank by traffic instead of by relevance (or vice versa)? Pretty sure the default is to rank by relevance (for the past few years) for which traffic hardly matters at all. Some users will choose traffic for some searches (as for busy clubs), but that's not at all typical any more.

(I ask because you mentioned "As i understood it your position in search depends on traffic not what you write." But that hasn't been the case for years now.)

My understanding is not that raw traffic isn't relevant, it's just not the TOP relevance for search. 

They pack it with lots of other things now, and it's a secret formula. They may even randomize it.

But high traffic breedables stores or something will show up in search mainly because of high traffic. It is not irrelevant.

It's just that traffic bots can't game it any more. That's a good thing. It's too bad that the Lindens punish all traffic, even organically obtained, in the quest to eliminate bots -- especially since bots have to be registered, and they should have a way to detect organic from bot traffic. 

But given that there is other gaming like selling "picks" and in fact the return of paid camping, stamping out bots is not enough

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.