New MP Beta search - what it means for you and me?

Tamara Artis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"Does anyone knows what effect the age of the item has on rank? Are older items with the same number of sales placed better than new ones?"

Probably, but being placed high up on relevance search results due to long time total sales is getting more ridiculous as time marches on. It's having the effect of favoritism and keeping new Merchants and especially new quality Merchants out of the game because they can't effectively compete with that. But it is having the effect of price deflation which is probably the only good side effect imho.

LL should emphasise recent sales much more than they do. They have increased that factor a little bit over time, but nowhere near enough. Instead of for example, selling two times in three days pumping up far, it should be selling two times in a week getting significantly pumped instead. Selling the same product once per week should get a significantly higher pumping too. Significant pumping by price is still going on, which is bad, promoting a false sense of quality based on price. People leave the game if they feel they are being deliberately deceived as price pumping contributes to a hostile environment.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Another thing that has not been understood correctly is that i dont talk about my MP store sorted by the default filter (best selling) but by relevance."

But the default filter is 'relevance'. The 'best selling' filter is a useless waste of electrons imo. Does anyone ever bother to use it even? :matte-motes-tongue:

Spica Inventor wrote:

"Another thing that has not been understood correctly is that i dont talk about my MP store sorted by the default filter (best selling) but by relevance."

But the default filter is 'relevance'. The 'best selling' filter is a useless waste of electrons imo. Does anyone ever bother to use it even? :matte-motes-tongue:

The "best selling" filter is the default one in the beta version (althought it doesnt organize the listing according they are best selling or not). id go further than you, its not a waste of electrons, it's a big joke.

Spica Inventor wrote:

"Also, can someone explain me why i have 28 pages in the normal MP and only 25 in the beta one ? "

Because the three missing pages are products that haven't sold enough and/or haven't been priced high enough to LL's liking so they are being dropped from the SLM. hehe (just kidding). :smileylol:

lol, if so they could also delete half of my mp store bec i do 80 % of my sales inworld and always did. 

That said here are the 2 jiras :

one for the old deleted items that are back in the beta : https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-11477

and one for the mysterious disparation of 51 of my items in the beta version : https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-11478

I was hesitating as to maybe open another about the "best selling" not displaying at all best selling, but i ve seen some ppl are mentioning that in the thread started by LL so im going to read the whole 9 pages in order to check if someone else already did.

Every now and then I think I'll take some time and really get into research to see what works and what doesn't, but I never do... 

There are tons of ancient items placed high in the search and its weird for me that those outdated items still sell in that high amount. Only if the age has certain influence on total ranking. Oldies get 10 more points lol

I use both "Relevance" and "Best selling" filter, if I can't find something good with one filter I'll change it :D otherwise I don't even look there. 

Spica Inventor I went to check your store and have to say that it is really interesting! Sorted by "best selling", first product is an expensive tower that has a photo of "Irene hair" :D Sorted by "relevance" this same item is last one in your shop lol

OMG. I thought the main reason for this new beta search was to make 'relevance' relevant. Since they already had a type of best selling going on in the relevance search results anyway. No assumption is ever safe where LL is concerned I guess. Off I go to do another beta search in 'relevance' this time.

People are herd animals by nature. They do group think purchases. If a product is at the top of a search result, then it will sell alot more than otherwise just for that reason alone.

hehe. Yes, I'm a victim of that bug that was never fixed. I wonder if the Irene hair ever helped my overall sales though. With all those hair lovers out there, it might have caused them to accidentally stumble across my store? :smileytongue:

Spica Inventor wrote:

People are heard animals by nature. They do group think purchases. If a product is at the top of a search result, then it will sell alot more than otherwise just for that reason alone.

Well, as i just said, not everyone. lol

Spica Inventor wrote:

hehe. Yes, I'm a victim of that bug that was never fixed. I wonder if the Irene hair ever helped my overall sales though. With all those hair lovers out there, it might have caused them to accidentally stumble across my store? :smileytongue:

OMG !!!!! you still have one of those pics on your MP ??????

/me faints

Updates :

So just checked today. I have now 2 extra items on the beta version of the MP and no longer items missing. Both extra items are the old deleted listing coming back, but except them, all the other items are there, nothing in missing. 

That's something that makes me already happy, noone would like to see 51 of their items disappear like that, mysteriously.

So now, there is still the bug with old deleted items coming back to be fixed. So let's see...

And of course, the best selling sorting that makes no sense at all.... but well, it wasnt making sense before anyway.

I recall them saying something about the frequency of indexing. Something like it only happens every few days or so.

How long ago did you delete the items that magically returned? Is it possible the deletion was recent and they just haven't updated the search index yet?

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

nope, Darrius. 

Those ones have been deleted at least 1 or 2 years ago and most probaly even earlier.

I hope they have updated the search index since then lol

*facepalm* That's even scarier. It not only means they might be indexing against content that is outdated, it means that stuff deleted years ago STILL EXISTS in the database. It would even have been imported during the move to VMM.

I totally understand keeping archived data .. for a while. But shouldn't there come a time when deleted items are removed from the active Product database and kept only in the offline "Dearly Departed" tables? It certainly would reduce the amount of data the database server has to weed through.

Just to be sure .. the items that magically reappeared .. they're no longer in your product list at all? They are completely gone from your Inventory List? They aren't left somehow in your VMM folder .. or maybe in an old and forgotten Magic Box somewhere?

Okay, weird theory time. One of the things the Marketplace frowns on is taking down an item to clear out negative reviews and other issues then relisting it as a new product. I can see how they'd want to keep a copy of products that were removed so they can detect and take action against such practices.

BUT ... I would think it sufficient to keep only scant details such as the UUID of the source product, the keywords list, Category, Image UUID ... minimal details like that. It doesn't make much sense though (to me at least) to keep around the full listing details. And they would need full details in order to include it in the index. So color me confuzzled.

Well, like you i understand they keep some records somewhere in the database, but it shouldnt affect us. We should not be able to see them.

However, when we list related items, we have the listing from day 1. This mean i must scroll in ALL the listing of ALL i ever done from the first day i started using the MP. All the items i ever listed are there. Even the ones i deleted 4 or 5 years ago. Migration to Direct delivery didnt change that. Migration to new system (current one) didnt either. ALL the items are listed somewhere and no, they are not in my marketplace listing manager inworld, neither on my manage listing page on the website. 

I make sure everytime i delete smth, to first, unlist, then delete, then delete them in my inworld window aswell (before new system, i was deleting them in the top window on the web page).

Really i did all my best for they disappear totally, but well, LL seems to think otherwise and prefers to keep them and to throw them to my face everytime i have to dive in my listing for adding related items. /me sighs.

If i want to keep an item somewhere, and reactive it later, i would just unlist it and let it go in the inactive folder, so i can relist later if needed. 

So well, it looks like with LL, "evolution", "changes" are unknown words. From the day i started my business till today, it's easy to understand i made changes, i did progresses, i improved my skills and the quality of my items and even my adpic layout changed. But that's it. I must have the reminder of the poor skills i add at my first day thrown in my face all along my life in SL maybe..... Somewhat, it's a good way to stay humble, and not forget we all have started one day. :smileyvery-happy:

But that's another story if they are on top displayed in my public listing. 

And mind you, one of the new reappearing items has the same bug i had during the migration to DD (for more than one year) : it has a pic that's not mine attached to it and not related at all with the item.

So see... they ALSO keep records of their own bug... maybe bec they want to remain humble aswell :smileywink:

If you want to play around in the new search... check for typos! I just searched for "grapes mesh" and it seems the search thought it was a typo because I got tons of mesh drapes LOL 

And also draped tan vests, dresses, draped flags and tons of other things that have "drape" in the title.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.