crashing over and over - please help!

Crystal Ember

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i am crashing over and over.

i have a new computer from gateway. windows 7 home premium 64 bit OS. intel i7 CPU. 8 GB ram. the graphics card is an ATI radeon HD 5750.

in sl i have a large inventory of about 60,000 items. my graphics in sl seem to default to high which is what i usually leave them at. the only mod i make is my rendervolumeLOD i set higher than default. usually 4.0 or 8.0. but the setting doesnt seem to change the crashing,

i am crashing over and over especially when in a crowd. but often when i am alone  on a quiet sim.

i have tried updating my video card drivers. i have tried clearing cache.i have tried lowering my graphics. i have tired removing all my attatchments. i usually use viewer 2 but i have tried phoenix. i have tried changing my bandwidth. i have tried changing my cache size.

when i crash i just instantly pop out with no warning such as a white screen . the crash report option is not always there for the crash.

i am not running many other things on my computer. i usually have yahoo messenger open. no internet browser open.

my  anti-virus/security is norton security suite from comcast. i have a broadband internet connection thru comcast. my speedtest.net results are ping 13 ms, download speed is 20.89 Mbps and the upload is 3.7.

when i watch task manager while in sl( the processes tab.. the memory(private working set)) when the  number for sl gets up to about 1,500,000 K is when i crash. my cpu usage is usually less than 12%. my hard drive is huge with most of it unused.

this problem started slow but is increasing to where i crash evertime i am on sl.

can anyone help?

9 answers to this question

Which viewer are you using?

Are you staying connected long enough to rule out a router problem or are you getting booted within a couple of mins of logging in.

As you have an ATI card, there are a couple of things you can try that do cause issues for some people. Disable VBO in preferences / graphics / hardware & disable HTTP GetTextures, which could be in advanced rendering or developers menu depending on your viewer.

There are a couple of Routers that won`t stay connected to SL, like the Netgear DGN 1000, but most people with that can only stay connected 2 or 3 mins.

Try the HTTP Textures thing, thats been causing a lot of crashing & other problems. You need to relog after disabling it & as you have cleared your cache you should probably login to somewhere like Smith to let you inventory refetch, it will be faster there.

Three things come to mind. 

First is heat.  The delay before you crash and the fact that the crashing seems to be getting worse over time.  Open your case and blow out any dust accumulation with a can of compressed air (don't use cheap air because it could have moisture).  Check to make sure all your case fans are turning freely and working........especially your CPU and GPU fans.  Look at where the fans are located and the input ventilation vents and visualize how the air would flow through the case.........move any cables or obstructions that would interfere with free flowing of air.  It's also important to make sure your case has adequate space around it when your computer is running (inside a closed cabinet is not a good place for a computer case).

Second is a faulty or bad memory module.  You have 8 gigs of RAM which means you probably have 4 2 gig modules (maybe 2 4 gig modules).  Remove one module at a time and test to see if your crashing continues..........if it stops when you remove one of the modules, then replace it (it's best to take the module with you to make sure you replace it with the same type and speed).  In the process of removing the modules make sure each is securely plugged into the receptical (they snap in when fully seated).

And the third is your power supply.  Your video card requires 450 watts minimum.  Computer manufacturers are notorious for skimping on power supplies (why that is I don't know since PS's are about the cheapest component in a computer).  Check the rated, sustained, wattage............you'll have to physically look at the plague on the side of the power supply itself.  It does not hurt to have a larger than minimum power supply (this is one case where you can't over do it, but you certainly can under do it).  Here is the system requirement page from AMD:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5750/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5750-overview.aspx#3

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.