Sign in to follow this  
Crystal Ember

crashing over and over - please help!

Question

Which viewer are you using?

Are you staying connected long enough to rule out a router problem or are you getting booted within a couple of mins of logging in.

As you have an ATI card, there are a couple of things you can try that do cause issues for some people. Disable VBO in preferences / graphics / hardware & disable HTTP GetTextures, which could be in advanced rendering or developers menu depending on your viewer.

9 answers to this question

Which viewer are you using?

Are you staying connected long enough to rule out a router problem or are you getting booted within a couple of mins of logging in.

As you have an ATI card, there are a couple of things you can try that do cause issues for some people. Disable VBO in preferences / graphics / hardware & disable HTTP GetTextures, which could be in advanced rendering or developers menu depending on your viewer.

i am using viewer 2 and i have also tried phoenix. the crash usually happens after being on sl for at least 10 minutes but has happened right after logging on too.

60,000 items holy cow!

That must take for-never to load.

holy. 60k wow.

Ok, many people might say that's not a problem but I think it is.

LOL I have 60K too, its never caused me any problems...Except on the rare occasions I need to clear cache, then it takes a while to refetch. Someone posted with 600K the other day, mine felt tiny for once LOL :D

There are a couple of Routers that won`t stay connected to SL, like the Netgear DGN 1000, but most people with that can only stay connected 2 or 3 mins.

Try the HTTP Textures thing, thats been causing a lot of crashing & other problems. You need to relog after disabling it & as you have cleared your cache you should probably login to somewhere like Smith to let you inventory refetch, it will be faster there.

I've only noticed problems with high inventory counts when I search inventory by typing a partial name of an item or object. Items beginning with an A,E or T. (fetching)

I have about 4,000 objects, loads pretty quick.

Three things come to mind. 

First is heat.  The delay before you crash and the fact that the crashing seems to be getting worse over time.  Open your case and blow out any dust accumulation with a can of compressed air (don't use cheap air because it could have moisture).  Check to make sure all your case fans are turning freely and working........especially your CPU and GPU fans.  Look at where the fans are located and the input ventilation vents and visualize how the air would flow through the case.........move any cables or obstructions that would interfere with free flowing of air.  It's also important to make sure your case has adequate space around it when your computer is running (inside a closed cabinet is not a good place for a computer case).

Second is a faulty or bad memory module.  You have 8 gigs of RAM which means you probably have 4 2 gig modules (maybe 2 4 gig modules).  Remove one module at a time and test to see if your crashing continues..........if it stops when you remove one of the modules, then replace it (it's best to take the module with you to make sure you replace it with the same type and speed).  In the process of removing the modules make sure each is securely plugged into the receptical (they snap in when fully seated).

And the third is your power supply.  Your video card requires 450 watts minimum.  Computer manufacturers are notorious for skimping on power supplies (why that is I don't know since PS's are about the cheapest component in a computer).  Check the rated, sustained, wattage............you'll have to physically look at the plague on the side of the power supply itself.  It does not hurt to have a larger than minimum power supply (this is one case where you can't over do it, but you certainly can under do it).  Here is the system requirement page from AMD:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5750/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5750-overview.aspx#3

• Like 1