What triggers creation of a calling card?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2954 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just discovered that I have many, many duplicate calling cards in my inventory.  Dozens of accounts have dozens of calling cards each.  I have deleted duplicates through the the ones starting with E, and my inventory has shrunk by over 5,000.  Why do I have all of these calling cards?  I am positive that I have never been friends with some of the accounts and have never accepted their calling cards. 

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

I just discovered that I have many, many duplicate calling cards in my inventory.  Dozens of accounts have dozens of calling cards each.  I have deleted duplicates through the the ones starting with E, and my inventory has shrunk by over 5,000.  Why do I have all of these calling cards?  I am positive that I have never been friends with some of the accounts and have never accepted their calling cards. 

It's a  feature  bug.

Not sure if ever resolved.

See:  http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-13254

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

I have deleted duplicates through the the ones starting with E, and my inventory has shrunk by over 5,000.

Just delete everything in the calling cards folder. Your own card and the ones for people on your friends list will be recreated next time you log on, that can't be avoided, but you get rid of the rest fo the garbage.

Perrie Juran wrote:

It's a 
feature 
bug.

See:  

Ignoring the fact that the whole calling card idea should be regarded as a bug in itself, there was also another more recent bug than the ones you mentioned that caused duplicate cards to be created every time you switched between the beta and the main grid.

Both of these bugs should be fixed now but people may still have tons of calling cards caused by them littering their inventories. Also, when you add somebody to your friends list, not one but two calling cards are created and when the friendship ends, only one of the copies is deleted.

steph Arnott wrote:

They seem to be some what obsolete in usage now, doubt most even know what they are for.

Well, you can share them with others. Like, if you want somebody to contact somebody else, you can give them the calling card rather than have them search for the person. Somebody actually did give me a calling card once long ago and in theory they can be, if not useful or worth the extra inventory clutter, at least not completely useless.

ChinRey wrote:

<snip>

Perrie Juran wrote:

It's a 
feature 
bug.

See:  

Ignoring the fact that the whole calling card idea should be regarded as a bug in itself,

</snip>

They appear to be another one of those features, like Groups, that the long term implications may not have been considered.  But they appear to be intrinsically tied to the Friends list in a way that makes the feature unremoveable.

I do wonder if more people knew about their usage as a "contact card" if we wouldn't see them used more that way.  

ChinRey wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

But they appear to be intrinsically tied to the Friends list in a way that makes the feature unremoveable.

That's not good. But oh well, I filed a JIRA about the problem:

I don't have much hope it'll lead to anything but you never know.

Based on Whirley's comments in the JIRA it could very well be that I am wrong.  

I can't cite a specific thing to support my claim.  It was more a general impression based on what I had gleaned from other discussions over the years.

We shall see how it all plays out.

LL may consider this a minor issue and just back burner it.

As a result of reading this thread, I deleted all the calling cards in my inventory, including those is the system sub-folder, called Friends at the time. Then I logged out and back in again, and there's a calling in the sub-folder for everyone in my friends list. The only difference is that the sub-folder is now called All. There is also one for me. I'd deleted that as well.

I've absolutely no idea if this is of any interest to the discussion, but there it is :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

As a result of reading this thread, I deleted all the calling cards in my inventory, including those is the system sub-folder, called Friends at the time. Then I logged out and back in again, and there's a calling in the sub-folder for everyone in my friends list. The only difference is that the sub-folder is now called All. There is also one for me. I'd deleted that as well.

I've absolutely no idea if this is of any interest to the discussion, but there it is
:)

Yes, currently correct.  

But if I am reading the info in the JIRA correctly, Firestorm will be removing the call to the Server that initiates their recreation.  Which would mean that they are not intrinsically tied to your friends list.  In other words we CAN live without them.

Me personally, I do like them and use them on occasion.  Among other things, the creation date of the original card can tell you how long you've been friends with someone.

Phil Deakins wrote:

As a result of reading this thread, I deleted all the calling cards in my inventory, including those is the system sub-folder, called Friends at the time. Then I logged out and back in again, and there's a calling in the sub-folder for everyone in my friends list.

Yes, unfortunately that can't be avoided. But you do get rid of all the duplicates and the calling cards for long lost friends so it's still worth doing.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/4.0.2.311378  to the rescue!!

This is a Maintenance release to keep your Second Life chugging along smoothly. We offer you a neat collection of bugfixes addressing (but not limited to!):

• memory leaks
  • crashes
  • UI bugs
  • permissions bugs
  • importer bugs
  • duplicated calling cards
  • visual muting
  • autopilot

and much more!

BTW: I give people Calling Cards all the time. It totally prevents me from chatting a name incorrectly.

• 3 weeks later...

eleting theme seemes to work. Now to see if its only temperary or more permanant salution. Its easy to delete them all at once. Just simply click on the top name to highlight it then scroll to the bottum of the list and hold shift key and click enter. that highlights all of them to delete.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2954 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.