Sign in to follow this  
KellyM Watkins

Wedding

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

I have been with my SL and now RL partner for just over 10 weeks. I would like to have a wedding with her. We have a lovely garden behind our house and would love to have the wedding there. Now I have not been married in SL before, so unsure what to do or where to look.

It will be a small one with close friends and family and I just want to do something very special for her.

Any pointers or help would be greatefully appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Depends on how much your willing to spend. Me and my partner just had a nice small wedding through a wedding service/planner. That helped take alot of stress off me and my partner to have someone who knows what they are doing. A garden wedding sounds nice. Wish you both luck.

Some tips..

1-Decorate however you want, within whatever prim allowance you might have. You can find loads of stuff relatively cheap, and I honestly recommend having things that can be re-purposed(ie seating that isn't necessarily for a wedding, but can be used for it, and later, garden sitting, or whatever). Check MP and inworld, though you'll find more on MP, most likely. Personally, I wouldn't use a service that offers to re stuff out for you, it'll likely cost you way more than you'd spend buying stuff yourself. 

2-You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to have something beautiful. Personally, I think less is more, especially for small intimate gatherings. The more stuff you have, the more likely *some* of your guests may have issues-whether client side or not, it can be annoying.

3-Don't use a wedding service unless you are 100% comfy with their pricing, so shop around if you intend to use one at all(some charge way too much, especially for a gathering like yours, which utilizes very little of their services) Personally, I wouldn't use any, but hat's just my preference. 

4-In sl, anyone can perform a wedding, it doesn't have to be someone "official"(some seem to think they have this "official" status, lol, don't believe them, such a thing does not exist, despite their length of time in sl, or their "experience"). You can find someone to perform the wedding for you, at little to no cost. If you have a close friend, even better, because they're more likely to know you and your partner anyway.

5-Enjoy yourselves :D Unlike rl weddings, sl weddings truly can be anything and everything you want, and then some, without costing a lot in time, money, or stress. So, don't stress, it should be a day of fun, enjoyment, and romance(if that's your thing, lol)...nothing else matters. 

In my opinion, for a smaller ceremony that you want to make really special for your loved one, be very careful on who you choose to officiate over your ceremony, since that will be the second huge memory of that day.  If the officiate is not someone experienced, they can make your day the worst memory you have of SL and that's not how a wedding should be remembered.  Check around for the reputable companies that offer officiant services, compare and check their references.  In this particular case, too much information will never be a bad thing!!!

Thats great advice Tara. Not only re cost wise but to get a very personal wedding that you planned. 

Mostly enjoy your day Kelly and have fun with your guests. 

Maybe youd like to pay for a photographer to have a keepsake of the day or you can get a few poses and do it yourself. It doesnt have to be on same day, so you can take your time to set them up. 

Tari Landar wrote:

4-In sl, anyone can perform a wedding, it doesn't have to be someone "official"(some seem to think they have this "official" status, lol, don't believe them, such a thing does not exist, despite their length of time in sl, or their "experience").

Hey!!!!! I'm an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church, and I paid the extra US$30 for the official gold seal "Credentials of Ministry" (which hangs on the wall in my guest bathroom) and the paperwork packet that allowed me to register in the State of Wisconsin to perform both weddings and funerals (simultaneously when appropriate).

I've performed two weddings in SL and I'm looking forward to my first funeral. Anyone interested?

Congratulations, Kelly!

Tari's given you some very good advice, point #5 being the most important. Forget all the conventions of RL, SL is whatever you want it to be. As Tari says, anyone can officiate an SL wedding. I've proved that by doing it twice. If you have a common friend who's willing, honor them with a request and work up a simple ceremony incorporating things your bride might like.

Or just wing it yourself. Years and years ago, I made up a ceremony for my sweetie more or less on the spot, though after several days of teasing. We got partnered anyway.

;-).

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I've performed two weddings in SL and I'm looking forward to my first funeral. Anyone interested?

Is cremation included?  It's been awhile since you've set me on fire.

...Dres

Dresden wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Is cremation included?  It's been awhile since you've set me on fire.

...Dres

Not only is it included, it can even be the cause of death!