How do you install and run second life from UBUNTU 14.04?

Tahira Swords

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,I had to switch to Ubuntu from Windows recently,and I am new to Linux.I have tried several online tutorials on how to install on UBUNTU,but they were for older versions and no longer work with 14.04.I have tried following several technical how to guides and I still cannot install or get secondlife to work.I have spent days and hours on this and nothing I do is making it happen.Can someone please point me in a direction for something that will work?

I installed the secondlife for Linux viewer and went through the steps to unpack and install and it will not install or run,I have a 64 bit operating system...all drivers up to date.I just cannot figure this out!

Update 1: the download from the secondlife viewer linux which I installed made an application launcher but when I click it nothing will open,it tries but nothing. I then based on Naalates answer downloaded the third party viewer firestorm,several hours and attempts at installing it left me fed up and frustrated.Its just allot of time waste,I am about to give up alltogether and just wait till I can either install windows,or use a computer with windows to play SL.

2 answers to this question

The Linden made Linux viewer has problems. I'm not surprised it doesn't work. They basically are not supporting it as so few people use it.

You will need to switch to a third party viewer. Look here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Before spending much time ask in the support groups... well... OK that wont work until you can login. Sorry. Try the Firestorm web site. Also search the SL Forum. Others do use Linux, its just a matter of finding them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.