what's the best or most recommended way of texturing clothing or prims for that matter?

IIianII

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

thank you for looking at this post

I've spent days of researching about ways to tex prims esp. clothing to get high quality results.

Are there other ways of texturing prims on second life to achieve those high resolution textures other artists on second life have been doing other than uv mapping or am I just missing a step or two? if so, some tips from the best out there wouldn't hurt I guess and would really help a soul out. thanks

Most of the high resolution textures that you see on MESH (and sometimes prims) are 1024 textures. Most of the ones you see on mesh these days are made within the 3D program where you can add light and shadow for a "natural" look.   

Even before mesh came into world (4 or 5 years ago ish) high quality designers were making the texures for the prims using 3D software and then putting on prims.

So if that's the look you are wanting, look into Blender Cycles (free) or Maya (subscription fee ). Neither are easy by any means but the awards are great if you push on through the learning curves.  I from your post, I guess you know that LOL.  

I should say that this isn't necessarily the most RECOMMENDED way, it just seems from your post that you were looking for an answer to "why do they look so great?"  :D. There are downsides, mostly the big texture thing.  Baked textures don't tile. So for EFFICIENCY, nicely made, 512 tiling textures are still best.

Choices. We have to make them.

You can also make textures in Photoshop or another graphics program which are high resolution (set in the program). Resize to 1024 and upload.  Some folks may be doing that also. 

I make mine in Blender and tweak in graphics software if necessary. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.