AZERTY support for ZQSD movement, like Firestorm and Singularity have

Real Burger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I wonder why Second Life official viewer has never supported AZERTY keyboard. AZERTY support is important because it affects the keys for moving your avatar when you use letters (WASD / ZQSD), and using letters for moving your avatar is a lot more confortable than using the arrow keys if you are right handed.

In Firestorm and Singularity, there's an option pref called "AZERTY" keyboard, that allows to switch movement keys from WASD to ZQSD.

On the offcial viewer, the only solution is to edit the keys.xml file manually... thus nobody does that, or maybe 2% of users (I'm part of these 2%), and by doing this, it can be a nightmare because at each viewer update, keys.xml return to original state. What I have to do is to always have a copy of a ZQSD configured keys.xml with a shortcut to C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\app_settings and to copy it again on each update. This is totally unconfortable.

What intrigues me is that when you look the preferences with the french region selected, you can see this mentionned:

By mentionning 'ZQSD' in the preferences, that means that developpers are aware that ZQSD can be used.

I would like to know so, if there's an hidden option somewhere to switch from WASD to ZQSD?

If not what is the best way to do a feature request to Linden Lab? Do you know if other french/belgian users complained about this? How it is that this feature exists since very long time on other viewers and not on the official?

Thank you

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Real Burger said:

I just saw that Linden Lab has updated the keys.xml file without taking in consideration this thread. I don't know what to think about this, but I feel bad about that :((

The engineers at the Lab don't take time to read the flood of information flowing through this forum. So... don' take it personally.

Whirly is a resident guru of SL tech and Linden politics. Her pointing you to the JIRA is the most effective move you can make toward getting AZERTY support. The JIRA posts are read by the software engineers. The items are categorized into lists and prioritized. Someone reads everyone one of them. However, you may not see action on a request for years. What we consider a priority and what the Lindens think is a priority are WAY different.

Persistence pays.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.