crashing and not charging ONLY when SECONDLIFE is open

Aoleth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

(sorry I post this in the wrong area)
I have been playing SL for about a year now, I make textures for the kemono body and PAWS heads so I have a bamboo splash tablet, a mouse, and an Asus Gaming Republic laptop I've owned for two years now towards the end of this month. 

Some time about a year ago my laptop got water damaged and we had to basically replace the whole thing except for the screen, when I got it back I could no longer plug anything into the usb while SL was running, as soon as something was plugged/unplugged (such as the tablet and mouse) everything would stop responding. I could still play sl but voice would stop. I couldn't watch any videos and if i tried to open something it would freeze and do the "this program has stopped responding" thing. I would then need to restart my pc. However this was ONLY while Secondlife was running. any other game or program was fine. I even found a work around by closing sl, plugging in the tablet, and re-opening it.
I could deal with that.

but recently, my computer will randomly charge for one second and stop charging for three. but ONLY WITH SECONDLIFE AGAIN. and on top of that its only when it's opened, if secondlife is minimized it works fine and dandy and I just dont get it. It's frustrating as hell trying to texture with the threat of your computer dying at any second, files lost to the void for eternity and waiting the five or so minutes for your computer to wake back up + trying to recover lost files and reopening art programs and references.

It's killing me smalls, I hope someone knows of any way to fix/ get around this. I wouldn't wish this on my greatest enemy.

3 answers to this question

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I think you should check what's happening to your computer's available RAM when SL is running.

SL, as you probably know, is very taxing of your computer's GPU, and your GPU will, if necessary, pass some of the burden to your computer's RAM (or so I understand).

So I would start by checking how much of your RAM is, in fact, working and available.   It sounds to me as if the problems you described could be caused by RAM problems (though they may well be caused by something else, of course).

I'm sorry, basically you have a bad laptop repair.

The technician or you repaired the laptop poorly.  When a PC is water damaged usually the whole mother board needs to be replaced and any peripheral daughter-cards like the wireless board, memory, USB circuits as well as power regulation daughter-cards and the battery.

Your PC is drawing too much power and when you use a USB port you add to the load the power regulator needs to put out. On top of that, the Graphics Card chip will draw maximum power when you try to render 3D imagery as when using Second Life.

Second Life requires a properly working PC to run on.

The tip off to this being the issue is the USB device power failures on your plugged in devices when you use more energy running SL.

Time to retire your laptop.

Aoleth wrote:

Some time about a year ago my laptop got water damaged and we had to basically replace the whole thing except for the screen, when I got it back I could no longer plug anything into the usb while SL was running, as soon as something was plugged/unplugged (such as the tablet and mouse) everything would stop responding. I could still play sl but voice would stop.

Slvoice.exe crashing when you plug or unplug something into a USB post is a known viewer bug - see BUG-9172 - [Vivox 4.6.0017.21209] SLVoice crash on USB device change

Give the HTTP Update RC viewer a try - http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

I'm fairly sure the voice crash bug is only fixed on this viewer version.

This viewer probably won't help with your other problems though.

It also has a rather large problem with outfit changes - you may get avatar bakes failing to update & attachments acting oddly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.