Most crowded clubs in SL?

DjWhiteBoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Bloozegirl said:

Well was just passing through. Is there a protocol infraction here? 

I would be quite interested to know, how someone just finds those ancient threads.

Usually in forum culture (which is not unique to the SL forum at all), its seen as unwelcome to dig up threads, that have been inactive for very long time. First, because it confuses people, who not instantly notice the date and think they suddenly stumble into a big discussion that came out of nowhere, and then participate...not knowing that this is old stuff. It also competes with any thread that is current. In Second Life you also got the problem of relevance: Two years in SL is a huge timespan. Things change quickly and information becomes outdated even quicker. It becomes wrong or irrelevant. And the people first involved in the conversation might have moved on long ago. There is no conversation you can start with the person, who first asked for clubs to go to.

12 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hey, Chin...do you have any statistics to back that up?  Last time I checked, the USA still had the largest user base.  Not that I am bragging or anything, I'm just curious.

USA seems to be the single nation with the largest number of SL users but it's still less than all other nations combined. Here are some statistics:

http://www.netzfischer.de/2007/02/11/second-life-user-statistics-by-country/

I know this is very old data but there is no reason t believe it has changed very much. There seems to be a larger number of South Americans and East Europeans (especially Brazilians and Russians) now but probably not enough to have any significant impact on those figures.

Edited by ChinRey

On September 10, 2018 at 2:40 PM, Bloozegirl said:

Well was just passing through. Is there a protocol infraction here? 

Generally considered bad form to post in a "dead" thread, which is a thread that hasn't been posted in in a long time. There is not hard and fast rule about it, it depends on the nature of the thread and whether your post provides useful information to other forum members. In this case, since lots of are looking for exciting sims to visit, I think your post is fine.

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

USA seems to be the single nation with the largest number of SL users ut it's still less than all other nations combined. Here are some statistics:

http://www.netzfischer.de/2007/02/11/second-life-user-statistics-by-country/

I know this is very old data but there is no reason t believe it has changed very much. There seems to be a larger number of South Americans and East Europeans (especially Brazilians and Russians) now but probably not enough to have any significant impact on those figures.

Thank you!  Most informative.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the most successful clubs are ones that haven't updated their graphics and kept things simple. SL has been around awhile and it helps people load onto the sim when the graphics are as potato as the 15 year old+ potatoes that have to load them.

Making things look new/ big looks nice, but there's a huge operating cost. Nobody is going to buy a new computer simply to get a better experience in SL.

Kinda unfortunate because a fresh new look is likely what would help a new club open itself to new people, and what a lot of sim owners fall in the trap of doing. In reality, your looking for old, reliable, and stable sims.

Edited by taintedxjennifer

On 9/10/2018 at 7:54 PM, Syo Emerald said:

I would be quite interested to know, how someone just finds those ancient threads.

Sometimes it's because a spam-bot posts its junk. Then someone else replies (to the thread rather than the spam because the spam tends to be tangentially related at best), the mods roll into work and delete the spam. The reply keeps the thread active and it looks like the replier necro'ed the post. On occasion I've seen this happen with several threads at an odd hour of the morning, so I suspect it might be a principle cause of those spates of necros which sometimes happen. Otherwise, it might just be someone using the search and not paying attention to the date.

That the spam thing can be a cause is something I think all of us should be aware of.

On 9/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

Where did this blue line come from?

Blue Line.jpg

I think that marks where the new replies on the thread start. It's clearer in the Dark theme, where it's a broad purple band with the words "Unread Replies" in the middle of it. At least they appear to function the same based on a brief look.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, taintedxjennifer said:

I think the most successful clubs are ones that haven't updated their graphics and kept things simple. SL has been around awhile and it helps people load onto the sim when the graphics are as potato as the 15 year old+ potatoes that have to load them.

That would depend entirely on how the individual club is build. Something build by someone who knows how to use textures effectivly could perfrom better than something that was cobbled together by the clubowner in 2005. Blurry, cartoonish textures and huge prim counts aren't really "simple" for the hardware, I think.

Personally when I think about old clubs, I think about the habit of filling the space with a ton of vendors, add boards etc. And I'm glad the trend of "you need to make it trough an entire mall before you reach the club" died mostly. That took ages.

I think the true sucess of old clubs comes from the simply fact, that they have "always" been there. New residents pour in, because the place is always busy and sometimes even marked as "beginner friendly" (like the places newbies got send to, when they entered those portals at the starting area). And they stay always busy, because they can build up a huge circle of regulars, who always drop by...because the club is always there, even if they return after a five year break from SL, when every other destination in their LMs has vanished. Word of mouth effects also grew stronger, because more people know a club, if its around for a long time, which again ties in with the newbies, who make their first experiances and memories in those clubs. I swear if the first club I went to regularly in my first years still existed today, I would still be a regular and recommend it to others. (I still miss that club)

Edited by Syo Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.