Why does the world flicker forever? https://i.gyazo.com/a89ea299100fa23427996ee2a4ca8e19.gif

Dunt Botha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

https://i.gyazo.com/a89ea299100fa23427996ee2a4ca8e19.gif
This happens every sim I go to, all of the time. Why? D:

Edit: I don't know how to reply to your comment so I'll just edit..
Specs are windows 7 64bit, i7 2.6-3.6 ghz, nvidia 670mx, 8gb ddr3 ram... uhhh.. what else is relevant?
Firestorm, latest version, just did a complete clean install a couple weeks ago.

Edit2: I disabled atmospheric shaders, but ambient occulsion is greyed out.
However, disabling atmospheric shaders SEEMS to have worked.
I'm using a modular laptop with removable fans and keep the exhaust system maticulously clean, other than the fact that the parts are ~5 years old I can't think of a reason why the video card would be crapping out so I HOPE that's not the case. I'll keep an eye out for the symptoms and report back if the problem hasn't been fixed.
Thank you both for your help. :D

4 answers to this question

As a first step, try updating the drivers for your graphics card.  Out-of-date drivers can often cause problems, even on a pretty good card like that one.  See https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Graphics-cards/ta-p/700073#Section_.1.5

If you're lucky, that will solve your problem.  If not, begin worrying that the card itself may be damaged. If your system has been overheating, it may have been putting a lot of stress on the card.  Be sure to open your computer and blow dust and cat hair out of it regularly, especially if it is on the floor.  Pay attention to temperature monitoring software (and install it if you don;t have it already).  If your machine is a laptop and it hasn't been cleaned in a while, now may be a good time.

• Like 2

This is a strange one.

It's easy to see what happens, your computer keeps derenedering and rerendering items all the time.

It's harder to say why it happens though. Object thrashing is something that happens in SL and Firestorm seems to be more prone to it than other viewers. But it should never occur unless you've been logged on for hours and filled your cache with several heavy scenes and even then it should be easy to correct with a quick relog. I'm afraid Rolig's suggestion that your graphics card may be broken seems like the most plausible explanation. Or possibly you ram since it seems to be cache related.

But before you do anything as drastic as replacing hardware, do all the standard tests:

Click ctrl-shift-1 and check the performance stats. Look at ping sim time, packet loss and fps. Neither of those should cause problems like this but you never know and it only takes a few seconds to check. (Ping sim time depends on where you lvie and how fast your connection is but anything higher than 500 ms means trouble. Packet loss should be 0%. Fps should not be lower than 15 ms, preferably at least 30.)

In preferences->graphics switch Atmospheric shaders off or switch Ambient Occlusion on. There is a bug in Firestorm that can cause objects to blink in a  similar way. It has something to do with Atmospheric shaders and seem to be overridden by the more advanced Ambient Occlusion shading system. It doesn't look quite the same though and I've never heard of it happening on a scale like this.

Try to lower the graphics settings overall and see if that helps.

You may also try to switch to a faster viewer, such as the official SL Viewer, UKanDo or even Singularity.

• Like 2

If your i7 is a Skylake processor & has Intel HD 500 graphics and you are running the viewer on the Intel graphics, rather then the Nvidia graphics, you may be suffering from this bug:

Firestorm: FIRE-17290 - Screen flashes with certain graphics settings when any worn rigged mesh is in view textured with a diffuse texture set to alpha blending mode.

LL Viewer: BUG-10819 - [intel HD Graphics 500 series] Screen flashes with certain graphics settings when any worn rigged mesh is in view textured with a diffuse texture set to alpha blending mode.

Updating to the latest Intel graphics driver appears to fix this problem.

Looks like you have an Optimus system so make sure the viewer using the Nvidia card & not the Intel Graphics. That will also fix the problem if it's the above bug.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.