help! two textures, one mesh

IIianII

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes.

But...

If it's a file you downloaded rather than one you made yourself, do you have permission to upload it to Second Life? There are mesh files on the internet that can be legally uploaded to Second Life but most can't and me and most other advisors on this board are rather reluctant to give advice unless we know for sure it's for something legal.

Also, if you don't know how to handle materials in a 3D editor, do you know how to make LOD models and physics models? Or to put it another way: Are you trying to run before you've learned how to walk?

yeah it's a test upload and solely for personal use only. I'm trying to figure out texturing cuz it's the one that puzzled me the most and I want to know all the ways/most convenient way to do it and apply them all to my creations. I'm still new and learning and to see a prim with textures made on overlapping UVs makes it more confusing for me.

is it to preserve texture resolution for objects with big UV maps?

IIianII wrote:

yeah it's a test upload and solely for personal use only. I'm trying to figure out texturing cuz it's the one that puzzled me the most and I want to know all the ways/most convenient way to do it and apply them all to my creations. I'm still new and learning and to see a prim with textures made on overlapping UVs makes it more confusing for me.

is it to preserve texture resolution for objects with big UV maps?

It's a bit tricky to explain. UV maps and the texturable faces aren't really directly related to each other so it's better to explain them separately.

A UV map is essentially a flat sheet where you can place the vertices and triangles of a mesh to tell where they belong on the texture. If you want to, you can place each and every tri on the map independently of each other and you can overlap them as much as you like. The advantage to overlapping is that you can fit more onto a single texture which again means higher actual resolution and/or lower lag. The disadvantage is of course that the overlapping bits reuse the same aprt of the texture so it'll have to fit them both. A good example here is the UV map for the upper body of the avatar. The arms are positioned at the same place on the UV map so they both use the same part of the texture (one of them is mirrored of course).

Faces - or Materials as they are called outside SL - allows you to apply different textures and other surface effects to different polys. You can assign polys to different faces completely independent of each other and completely independent on where they are on the UV map.

In principle that is. Of course, you really want to keep some sort of system both to UV mapping and to face assignment or you'll end up with a mess rather than a mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.