Destination Guide Not have Family Stuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why does the Destination guide not include Family Role Play in its role play listing? This is a large community within SL. I have a heck of a time finding family oriented sims, schools, stuff for teens etc. and usually find them by luck when i visit some random family oriented place with an ad for another.

Is this listed elsewhere? I cant match any category with it.

Places in the Destination Guide are chosen by Linden Lab.  The venue itself must meet a list of specific criteria.  Linden Lab may choose the venue and residents meeting certain qualifications can nominate a specific destination, such as a school, for inclusion.  There is no guarantee a venue nominated will be chosen. 

You can read more about the process here: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/About-the-Second-Life-Destination-Guide/ta-p/700059

And why is it LLs problem? LMs are put by residents and that includes MP landmarks. The cost to LL to pay one person to trawl thru dead LMs would be huge and that cost would end up being paid for by us, why should i pay for the selfish attitude of 90%, the 10% i can understand as being unavoidable. Constantly dumping problems onto LL is a poor excuse for lazy, inconsideriate people.

steph Arnott wrote:

And why is it LLs problem? LMs are put by residents and that includes MP landmarks. The cost to LL to pay one person to trawl thru dead LMs would be huge and that cost would end up being paid for by us, why should i pay for the selfish attitude of 90%, the 10% i can understand as being unavoidable. Constantly dumping problems onto LL is a poor excuse for lazy, inconsideriate people.

The Destination Guide (unlike the MP) is maintained by LL.  So unlike the MP where the Merchants are responsible for the accuracy of their listings and fixing them, only LL can fix the Destination Guide.

Two snippets from the Knowledge Base:

How venues and content are selected

Selections for inclusion are at the sole discretion of Linden Lab.

Contact the Linden Lab editors

For questions or update requests to existing entries, or to report an error — like a wrong SLurl or place that's gone — contact the Linden Lab editors via email. Please note that we are not able to respond to every inquiry, however we welcome all comments, feedback and suggestions.

The number of landmarks in the destination guide could be visited and evaluated in less than one work day.

I do not think it is selfish or lazy to think this job could easily be handled by an employee. Especially if the Destination Guide is maintained monthly or quarterly. I think it's hardly selfish to ask for proper curation from a legitimate company, a company that has more than enough money to build an ENTIRE NEW VIRTUAL WORLD PLATFORM could not possibly stress over paying an employee for a few hours of fat-trimming.

It's clearly not a priority, but I also wasn't slinging mud or talking **bleep** on LL, these are just the way things are.

LL have only 200 emplyees. Not exactly MS. Made  US$700 million, 60% went to share holders, 30% to costs, so that leaves 10%, which is US$70  million, Not exactly " a company that has more than enough money to build an ENTIRE NEW VIRTUAL WORLD PLATFORM" which 90% is being funded by outside investors that will want a return on it.

Still not seeing financially how someone cannot take 3 hours a month to take down closed sims. Sorry Steph these statistics simply don't cut it. It's a quality control issue that can ONLY be overlooked because it's digital property. Imagine half the bags of chips in a vending machine were empty because the distributor did not check to see if the bags were even full. Not buying it, the empty chips, nor the empty financial explanantion.

The brilliant minds at LL made the decision to curate the Destination Guide themselves, therefore, pointing out the sort of craptastic job their so-called editors are doing is a perfectly legitimate critique.  If they were smart, they wouldn't have to have their employees take the time to go through every last LM to see which ones are broken, by simply setting in place an easy way for users to flag broken LMs/places that no longer exist... much like users can easily flag items on the MP.

...Dres

IvoryLace Silverweb wrote:

Why does the Destination guide not include Family Role Play in its role play listing? This is a large community within SL. I have a heck of a time finding family oriented sims, schools, stuff for teens etc. and usually find them by luck when i visit some random family oriented place with an ad for another.

Is this listed elsewhere? I cant match any category with it.

Because they don't wish to promote crazies in the public eye? Just a wild guess.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.