"Voice Verified"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think we all wear facades, whether in RL or SL. I don't usually leave the house without doing some basic makeup to hide my vitiligo and without brushing my hair and putting on clean clothes. Around the house I'm a bum, wearing an old sweatshirt that's covered in paint spots with hair full of sawdust. In the summer I'll wear sundresses and work boots in the yard and a skirt and heels at the theater.

If you've only see me out on the town, you'd never recognize me on the tractor.

Which of those is the real me?

Granted, whether on the tractor or out in my Miata wearing red lipstick, I'm still likely to pretend I'm going to run over you. So there is something that pokes through the facade, but I am aware I'm putting on a facade. Who gets to see what is a complex equation. The closer you get, the more I let you see, and the more I care that you like it. But nobody gets to see it all, maybe not even me.

I don't think that makes me different from the average person. Most of us just don't think about it much.

steph Arnott wrote:

it just for me an artistic and cerebal exercise,

I don't know if you're willing to accept music as art but if you are, I can assure you that like all true musicians, when I'm on stage performing, I'm certainly not myself, I'm much less "myself" than I ever am in Second Life. There and then I'm somebody else's avatar. I'm the composer's avatar and the lyricist's avatar. This is even true if I'm performing some ditty I wrote myself. Most of all I'm Music's avatar.

Art is very much about taking people out of themselves and into a different existence. If you look at Monet's Haystack now in cold February, you should be there! You should feel the evening sun in your face and savour the smell of dry grass and burned French soil.

Oh well, this is getting rather pretentious and way off topic. Voice can be an important part of how some people perceive others in SL and that's perfectly understandable and perfectly OK. But don't think it's any kind of reliable identification of anybody's gender or anything else. It can be just as illusionary as the avatar.

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

If we're wearing masks, its the same one.

But, one of us has died her hair to look more authoritative...

... and it's not working.

If you say so.

The hair color is NOT the determining factor in deciding who is in charge. It's the dramatically placed mole next to your sensually defined lips. Clearly it's the one with the mole placed on the right side that looks more authoritative...

Rawr....

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

If we're wearing masks, its the same one.

But, one of us has died her hair to look more authoritative...

... and it's not working.

If you say so.

The hair color is NOT the determining factor in deciding who is in charge. It's the dramatically placed mole next to your sensually defined lips. Clearly it's the one with the mole placed on the right side that looks more authoritative...

Rawr....

... opens a window and hopes the frigid night air will cool her down.

My current avi is probably the closest to what I look like in RL. I RP on one of the RP sims in SL. I was born with some orthopedic problems so was never able to wear heels. Now my avi is in stilletos and boots most of the time.

Recently, I was in an accident and I'm now permanently disabled. 

One of the beauties of SL...we can be and do what we can't in RL. 

• Like 1

ChinRey wrote:

Maybe a bit off topic, maybe spot on. In either case definitely rather.... umm... errr... well. Read on if you want to - or don't

Phil Deakins wrote:

That's where you said that coming into SL is coming into roleplay. It's not, and that' what you didn't get.

That depends on how you define the word roleplay really. If you mean in the strictest sense, standing around in a laggy sim posting dialogues as quotes in emotes, I think very few are.

But in the widest sense - presenting yourself in SL as somebody not
quite
identical to how people see you in RL - I think we all are.

Yes indeed. Most of us present ourselves in SL in a way that we wish we could (still) present ourselves in RL; i.e. younger, much better looking, and with ideal bodies :) But that's not the sort of roleplay that was being discussed. Someone said words to the effect of, coming into SL is coming into roleplay, therefore adult activities in SL is merely roleplay, so the gender at the other doesn't matter. She said that those who don't see it that way, don't 'get it'. I disagreed by saying words to the effect of, most adult activities are not roleplay at all, and I said that for a great many people, possibly most people, the gender at the other end does matter. Something like that :)

A few posts back, someone suggested that SL can be more representative of a person than their RL, and I have to say that I agree with that in many cases. Female avatars tend to be skimpily dressed, flashing plenty of skin, or very sexily dressed, and often open to 'a bit of the other' - some more readily than others. And it struck me that those who are female at the keyboard are doing in SL what they would do in RL were it not for society's standards. So their RL is more like roleplay (keeping up appearances) than their SL.I don't think it's any different with men - I'm not singling out women. I'm not saying that I'm dead right about that. and I'm not suggesting that it's the case for most SL uers, but it's something that struck me some time ago, and I don't think I'm wrong, at least with some users.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

My current avi is probably the closest to what I look like in RL. I RP on one of the RP sims in SL. I was born with some orthopedic problems so was never able to wear heels. Now my avi is in stilletos and boots most of the time.

Recently, I was in an accident and I'm now permanently disabled. 

One of the beauties of SL...we can be and do what we can't in RL. 

My avatar is very much like the RL me. It's taller than it's wide, and it has a male appendage (sometimes). After that, it gets a bit blurred, but those 2 attributes do make it almost identical to the RL me - almost photographic. It's uncanny :D

Either i am plain thick or define roleplay as something totaly different to some that post here. Improving ones appearance, lookking the same in RL or if the person is in a wheel chair and walking around in SL to me is not RP.  RP to me is playiing out fantasies that are either impossible in reality or indulging in something that one would never do in RL. Maybe i just do not get it. IDK.

Voice has it's uses.  I prefer it while working with someone since it is faster, easier and neither of us have to take our hands away from the controls.

Other than that is kills my immersion.  I cannot count the number of times a friendly voice chat has turned into an offer to join some girl and her boyfriend on skype for cam. Whats wrong with staying in world where I can pretend they have a playful Northern California accent?  When it sounds like I am talking to tech support it really breaks the mood.  I would rather find a cute M2F trans and chase each other around a sim.  Fun times; no pressure to cam.

• Like 1

I agree, just wanted to differentiate roleplay and vanity. Voice has its uses, odd that some seem to feel that an agreement to be full on RL as in your example said. Mind you some guys playing a girl can go way over the top, had one telling me how the cycle was so painfull and blah for an hour i just lost it and ejected them. Talking about that and not knowing anything was just too much RP.

ChinRey wrote:

steph Arnott wrote:

... or define roleplay as something totaly different to some that post here.

Yes, I think this is more about different definitions of the word than an actual disagreement.

Deception, whether self, or to others, is a spectrum. SL extends the far end of the spectrum well beyond RL.

I practice self deception every day. We all do. We couldn't survive without it. And we're all comfortable with some amount of deceiving others (makeup? fast cars on borrowed money?). So I'm not sure it's a matter of definition, it's a matter of degree.

"All the world's a stage" long preceded "Your World, Your Imagination".

We all have some line we draw between acceptable and unacceptable. Those lines move constantly, depending on circumstance. We may not be able to describe those lines, but we know a crossing when we see it...

...if we see it.

ETA: If there's a distinction to be made here, it's probably intent. But that's hard to gauge as well.

Social interaction in RL has physical conseqences that SL does not. A law breaker can be punished, a unsocial person ignored and when ill left to their own problems with no help, your fellow naighbours  protected by the community etc. These social interaction developed over millenia, where one could be eject from a tribe, village etc to fend for them selves. SL removes that restraint allowing some to be behave in ways that are beyond  social acceptable standards, becouse there are no physical consequence other than be ignored verbaly or banned. Hardly in the same context as your post.

steph Arnott wrote:

SL removes that restraint allowing some to be behave in ways that are beyond  social acceptable standards

SL? Have you been to some of the other "social" forums on the internet??? ;)

Apart from that, I agree with you of course. Far too often SL is "Your World. You Imagination. Your Neighbor's Nightmare".

Never understood how LL could forget that third sentence in their slogan.

steph Arnott wrote:

I just kept to SL, else would have extended beyond the subject matter

Well, nos. 25 and 26 of the good (or possibly not) old (definitely) Rules of the Internet still apply today:

25.Relation to the original topic decreases with every single post.

26.Any topic can easily be turned into something totally unrelated

All the others may be outdated (especially nos. 28-30 but they would bring us back on topic again and we can't have that)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Old+Rules+Of+The+Internet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.