Ideas to Revitalize SL-

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

steph Arnott wrote:

" has been patches over patches" so, the banking sytem is the same and yet it still works. UK NHS has spent £1,5 billion writing new coded system and it is useless and has been scraped. Some times the devil you know is far better than the one you think will be great.

Software can only be modified so far to meet new uses before it no longer makes sense to use it. If the use case changes enough then new software needs to be written.

"choose prims to build things" there not prims they are mesh.

" Sansar is gonna be all mesh" you can do that in SL. Mesh is flat and no depth any way.

Huh? That doesn't sound like the mesh I know of.

"Sansar will use C++" no it will not.

Sansar will use C#, which makes a lot of sense if LL will still be using Mono (the Linux implementation of Microsoft .Net).

BTW If you happy to pay a subscription fee just to be there good luck.

LL's Sansar is a virtual world hosting service. They'll be renting out virtual worlds. I'd expect the subscription would be for continuing use of a world. The people who inhabit those worlds wouldn't need a subscription, though it's possible that the owner of a virtual world could charge people to use it. There's not enough information yet to know.

How to revitalize SL?

The answer is actually quite simple: 500 newcomers a day.

Preferably more but 500 should be enough.

It can't be just any kind of newcomers though. They have to be humans, not bots, they have to be genuine newcomers, not just new alts and they have to be the kind who stays here for a while and not jsut pops in a few times before they decide SL isn't for them.

This is the only way to stop Second Life's decline. Everything else are just trivial details by comparasion.

But then of course, the next question is: How do we make Second Life attractive enough to to newcomers to achieve that?

You two have a lot of faith in sensar even tho neither of you or anyone else public have even seen it in action. There is also the issue that everyones inventories will not be transferable to the new platform, so we will be  starting from scratch all over again, ok for a newcomer a kick in the teeth for most of us that have spent real monies.

I simply can not understand how people can post opinions on Sensar without even a test of the platform.

steph Arnott wrote:

You two have a lot of faith in sensar even tho neither of you or anyone else public have even seen it in action. There is also the issue that everyones inventories will not be transferable to the new platform, so we will be  starting from scratch all over again, ok for a newcomer a kick in the teeth for most of us that have spent real monies.

I simply can not understand how people can post opinions on Sensar without even a test of the platform.

Or even being able to spell it.

steph Arnott wrote:

Have no idea what you on about. ADDED, becouse i spelt it sensar in one post? pfft

Theresa Tennyson starts speaking very slowly and gently.

My point is that you, also have been posting opinions about Sansar even though you haven't been able to test it either. According to the post I replied to, you shouldn't be able to understand yourself.

steph Arnott wrote:

Those opinions are based on info from LL. You can read them for your self.

And where do you suppose other people got the information they based their opinions on? None of which has anything to do with your saying you didn't understand people having opinions about Sansar without testing it.

You can read that for yourself.

I have the idea that Sansar will be better than Second Life based on that Linden Lab is working with new technology, with a lot of experience, they have seen the results of bad decisions, and don't want to be there again, Philip Rosedale has been experimenting with new technology that want to add to Sansar, according to him, will improve the interactions between people and reduce griefing.

based on that, I think is gonna be an improvement, there are going to be changes that people would not like, but its going to be for the benefit of the new virtual world.

I may stay more time in SL after Sansar becomes available, for the reasons that you mention, I have a lot of time invested here and I have an emotional attachment to this world, and also I will see if its economically viable for me to move to Sansar, in terms of the monthly fee and how much power a computer will need to run it.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

These simulations run 24 hours a day, every day at a minimum of 8 simulations per second even if nobody is actually accessing it.

Actually no, simulators power down to standby when there are no agents inside and no children looking in. If you fly or sail at speed it's quite common to hit a simulator that is off and need to wait until it powers up so you can cross into it.

But as for the rest of your waffle about how ineffecient it is: The basic idea of a euler space representaion (X/Y/Z) of the physical world is still sound, although recently there was a resurgence of octree space representation (aka Voxels) that became possible with advances in computer technology and we know that went into worlds like Daybreak's Landmark, High Fidelity and from what I have read Octree space representation will also be used in Linden Lab's new Gaming Development Platform Sansar.

This is neither efficient or inefficient, it's computer science. If you have an object in 3D space, how do you define it's position and rotation. You can choose Euler or Octree.

Asset server, well, we have seen great improvements with teh CDN, so your whole waffle about socks is moot now.

Bah, office meetings, education and programming lessons won't do it. Cheaper teir might, but ever since Jack Linden and M messed around with Homesteads with the aim of driving away people and closing the world down we have really known the direction LL want to take.

Sad as it is, we are well into the Long Tail we were all discussing back in 2007, so well into it we are in the last gasps and final death throws. And we only have to watch the Lindex to see that dramatically.

Callum Meriman wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

These simulations run 24 hours a day, every day at a minimum of 8 simulations per second even if nobody is actually accessing it.

Actually no, simulators power down to standby when there are no agents inside and no children looking in. If you fly or sail at speed it's quite common to hit a simulator that is off and need to wait until it powers up so you can cross into it.

Actually, no - they run constantly. When no avatars are either in them or can see into them they run the simulation at 8 frames per second instead of 45 frames per second but they still run. They spool up to 45 frames a second as soon as an avatar gets close enough to see into the region and do so instantly. The slowing down to 8 frames per second was actually a new thing (2013?) I was at user-group meetings when it was being planned and rolled out. The delay you see crossing regions isn't usually about the simulators themselves, it's about the delay in connecting your viewer to the new server, similar to how when you're browsing the Web you may see a delay connecting to a certain website. (That's assuming the region simulator hasn't crashed or is bugging out, which happens but it isn't standard procedure.)

What does Euler vs. octree have to do with the multiple-simulator quilt Second Life uses? I assume other older 3D worlds use Euler coordinates and they can be much larger. ActiveWorlds gives 10,000 square meter regions as starter regions. People have estimated World of Warcraft maps as being the equivalent of 61 real-world square miles.

Actually the CDN is another layer of complexity and it exists mostly to take load off the servers. Thank you for reminding me - my socks' odyssey is even longer now. Assuming I haven't worn the socks for a while, they need to go from the asset server to the CDN node and then get sent to me.

Waffle? Your reply isn't even a pancake.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

That would finally explain the name: sans AR

Careful with what you write here! Lindens do occasionally read posts on the forum and they've already misinterpreted one French word. We do not want to give them ideas - not that kind of ideas at least.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.