Script floater problem

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2976 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've posted this in the Viewer sub-forum but I think I might get better results here where people actually use what I'm going to ask about, so .....

With the LL viewer's script box, the cursor moves a step to the right along a line slightly further than the characters, so that part way along a line, the cursor is starting to indicate the wrong character. In fact, depending on how long the line is, it can actually go past the next character. It's been a real nuisance, and results in me having to count cursor steps in from a line end, to make sure it's going to hit the right charatcer, when I want to modify something near the end of a line.

Is this peculiar to my end, or is it the same for everyone who uses the LL viewer?

It's only quite recently that I've started scripting again, after years of not doing it, so I don't know when the problem started. It certainly didn't used to be like that. As it happens, I've been forced into a 3rd party viewer by LL's viewer dropping me out of SL for the last couple of days. I soldiered on with the misplaced cursor but I can't manage being dropped all the time, sometimes after only a few minutes, and I can never stay in for long. But I'd like to know the answer to the cursor question because I'd want to get back to the LL viewer as soon it stops dropping me. If it's the same for everyone, then it may get fixed, but if it's just my end, then it won't. Either way, I'll know what to expect.

That's a peculiar "feature" of the in-viewer editor.  It's not always there, and I think it seems to get worse the longer you are logged in.  The other annoying quirk that you'll see is a tendency for the editor to ignore standard indents if you have ANY lines in your script that wrap around a line.  Both of those "features" started cropping up sometime during the last year or so.

The solution, of course, is to not use the in-viewer editor. These days, I use Sublime Text, which is a lovely editor with some extremely useful options (like identifying orphaned variables in your code and letting you highlight all instances of any particular string).  A good friend recommended it to me a few months back. I still often use the in-viewer editor for doing quick, easy scripts, but Sublime Text is much nicer for anything complex.  And of course it puts the work on my hard drive, where it's not likely to get scrambled by the SL servers.

Thank you both. So it's not at my end and it's unlikely to get fixed in the near future.

I would use the one you recommended Rolig but it's not free. It says the trial period is unlimited but I'm not all that comfortable with taking advantage. I do have LSLEditor, Steph, and I've occasionally used it. I never got the tabbing sorted out to match the viewer's editor. Either that or SL makes a mess of the tabbing, so I'm never very keen on using it. Nevertheless, if the viewer will stop dropping me, I'll use it and try to get the tabbing working properly.

SL just messes it up, which is why i avoid editing in the SL one. I just run the LSLEditor behind the veiwer. I have had problems with scripts freezing when editing in the veiwer also.

BTW, You can auto up and down load the script when the editor is active. So you can allways have a copy, think that started couple of years back.

Phil Deakins wrote:

[ .... ]

I would use the one you recommended Rolig but it's not free. It says the trial period is unlimited but I'm not all that comfortable with taking advantage. [ .... ]

Yup, that trial period has no end.  In fact, I have been using it since about last June and have never seen a note to tell me that the trial period has ended.

Yes, I've had that set for some time, and I've used LSLEditor that way in the past - even quite recently. The main reason being to get the script editing onto another monitorand out of the way. That would normally be my purpose for using and external editor. Thank you for helping, Ron.

I'm probably tempting fate a bit here, but I've been using the LL viewer since I logged on over 3 hours ago, and it hasn't dropped me yet. With a bit of luck, dropping me all the time is a thing of the past, and I can see about using an external editor again to overcome the cursor problem.

steph Arnott wrote:

SL just messes it up, which is why i avoid editing in the SL one. I just run the LSLEditor behind the veiwer. I have had problems with scripts freezing when editing in the veiwer also.

BTW, You can auto up and down load the script when the editor is active. So you can allways have a copy, think that started couple of years back.

Yep. I've only ever used the external editor to auto-update the script in SL on every save. I wouldn't have a use for writing in an external editor if it didn't auto-update the script in SL. I used to use it simply to get the editing onto a different monitor, but, now that the cursor problem is here to stay, I'll use it for that purpose too. I'm going to try the one that Rolig suggested to see if the tabbing is better.

It took a bit of faffing about but I appear to have finally got Sublime Text installed, along with the LSL 'package' bit. It does do what I wanted - auto-update the inworld script on each Save, so that's spot on. I like the bar down the right, where you can quickly go to a selected part of the script - my scripts can often be quite loooong. So, so far so good. I haven't tested the tabbing problem (that LSL Editor has) yet, so we'll see how that goes. I sincerely hope it doesn't mistab the script I'm working on just now or it will take a bit of time putting it right.

ETA: Oh dear. I did a quick test with the tabs, and it's no good at all. Not only that, but I can't see anywhere in Preferences, or anywhere else, to fix it. Tabs in the editor arrive in the inworld script as little boxes - the tab indicator- which, of course, is no good. It doesn't affect the script's operations, but it's no good for dealing with the script except in the editor. Do you have that problem, Rolig?, or did you have it. If you had it and fixed it, how did you do it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2976 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.