Do you know anyone who earns only through SL?

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

My point was, in relation to the title of the thread, that, according to Ebbe's statement, apparently it's only possible for the elite of the elite of SL merchants to make an income in SL for an extended period, that's considered no more than "pretty good" in RL.

Oh yes, you have to be good to sell well over time. You can't fool all the people all the time after all.

But when it comes to the "slow and steady" sellers, there's another aspect too. Such items need time to produce a decent revenue and time is running out.

Let's go back five years. Those figures and calculations we have been toying around with are very inaccurate of course but there is no doubt that the total amount of money that went through SL was much higher then than it is today. There were more than 30 000 sims on the grid and they were all pretty much filled up with activities. New users arrived and they all needed to fill up their inventories with the essentials and whatever luxuries they fancied.

Today there are less than 25,000 sims and much of the land is unused, either abandoned or offered for sale with no realistic chance to find buyers. There are hardly any newcomers so you have to sell over and over again to the same customers. Competition is so hard prices in most fields have been squeezed down to the absolute minimum. You want a good looking avatar? Well, you still have to pay for a mesh body if you want that of course but everything else you can easily find for free. So many clothes and accessories makers are so desperate to draw customers they give away top quality stuff as group gifts and MM board prizes and through other promo stunts.

Five years from now...

Without Sansar and projecting the trends the last five years we're talking about 18,000 sims, about a third of it unused (that is abandoned or permanently for sale) and a quarter of it Linden owned. The number of active users probably won't have dropped that much but they're all old users who bought all the "slow and steady selling" items they'll ever want years ago.

But then it's Sansar. No matter how often LL and we repeat that Sansar is a completely different project, not an "SL 2", many people will leave Second Life and try Sansar instead. Even Ebbe eventually admitted that. "Better that we do it than somebody else," he said at the first Lab Chat. And many will leave completely. Some will leave directly - SL isn't a cool thing anymore and they're not going to bother starting over again somewhere else. Others will try Sansar, decide it isn't for them and then never bother to return to SL.

With Sansar, even the rather bleak looking projection of past trends gives a way too optimistic picture of the future from SL merchants.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

I don't disagree with you, but I'm baffled why you quoted me
:)

Oh, I just wanted to open with some sensible words to make my own rant seem more important. =^_^=

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

I meant that $10k, (overestimated or not) a month is apparently worth mentioning by Ebbe as a success, while in RL such an income is just meh. It's substantially more than most make, but it's not a fortune by any means.

Very good point. Aren't there supposed to be SL millionaires?

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

I don't disagree with you, but I'm baffled why you quoted me
:)

I meant that $10k, (overestimated or not) a month is apparently worth mentioning by Ebbe as a success, while in RL such an income is just meh. It's substantially more than most make, but it's not a fortune by any means.

It is almost double the median household income in the US, $52K.  Median per capita income at the last census was $27K.

So for most of us, $10K a month is a lot more than meh.

ChinRey wrote:

Oh, I just wanted to open with some sensible words to make my own rant seem more important. =
^_^
=

I'm baffled why you quoted me :)

The only SL millionaire I know of is Anshe. There could be more, but going by the amount of people cashing out more than $5000 a month (2010 figure), under 200 people, it's very possible she was the first and only one.

BTW...Are you an SL millionaire when you cashed out a million or when you have a million dollar, all of it made in SL, in your RL bank account? I wouldn't consider someone who made 1.2 million in 10 years a millionaire, unless they only spent 200k over that period. Or do you mean people with a million lindendollars in sales? :)

Pamela Galli wrote:

steph Arnott wrote:

So they are 300,000 diferent designs? Yea, i think not.

No, just 300,000 total dresses. 

One of my lady friends claims she has every dress Utopia has sold and every shoe in fat packs that N-Core has released.

Sometimes I'd get very tired waiting for her to decide what to wear.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.