Who are the famous people in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who  have heard  of  both Prokofy Neva

Sure. Those people being Prokofy Neva and four ex-Woodbury 'students' who've achieved so little in RL they're  still harking back to some 'glory days' before their permaban. Six years ago, lol.

The only real famous person to emerge from SL was Anshe Chung, and that was purely because her press conference deteriorated into farce. Even so, it's not like the flying c*cks were featured on live TV or made  any impression on the general public.

As for...

Innula Zenovka wrote:Jumpman Lane.

Been on SL for years and never even heard of this one

BobbyGeorge wrote:

it's not like the flying c*cks were featured on live TV or made  any impression on the general public.

Anshe Chung was pretty famous in the chess world, no idea if that qualifies as general public. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the video so I won't, but Gary Kasparov got the Ashe treatment in 2008.

I don't know of anyone 'famous' in Second Life, therefore they are not. I also don't need celebrities in Second Life. Second LIfe is about meeting new people in a 3D Virtual Chat world - let's not make it like RL.

My 'affections' for certain people are more based on their generosity of information, mentorship or teaching.

Those are 'famous' to me, because they give back to the community, which I hope to be in the position to be one day myself, as I become more experienced with creating 'experiences' and nifty products and 'things to do' for people. I just can't afford sims or land, so I can't do anything in that department yet, but I'm working on cool products for people to use.

I have a love/hate relationship with many of the 'elite?"/experienced creators in 2nd Life, but some notables who are generous with their time, talents and knowledge, and I appreciate them greatly.

• 1 month later...

Since this thread has been brought back to life, I'll chip in.

There are no famous people in SL. There are some who are known about by more than just a few people but that's not the same thing. What makes a person famous is that you keep hearing about them in the course of daily life, because they keep getting talked about, and I know of nobody who we keep hearing about in the course of our daily SL lives.

There are those who are known about in the forums, of course, but that's only amonst the relatively small number of people who regularly use the forums, so it doesn't make them famous in SL.

fame -"The condition of being known or talked about by many people, especially on account of notable achievements:"

infamy -"The state of being well known for some bad quality or deed:"

There are people who are known and talked about by people whom they have never met, in places they do not frequent for things they have done. If the things aren't current events; then, they are historical. Yet, the noteriety remains.  

That Jumpman Lane guy is INfamous for allegedly causing some famous guy to contemplate suicide and abandon SL. When said nutcase was merely having a very public meltdown as a result of an ill advised appearence on National Geographic Taboo.

In fact, Jumpy just tried to save that fools life. A little google work will show you. If fame is cachet who wants to be famous or even infamous for getting sucked into some druggie's looney tunes downward spiral.

Jumpy would prefer to blend back into the mass of SL residency.

say werd! :)

It sounds like you imagine that you're famous or infamous in SL. You're not. You are known about by a fair number of the older forum users, but that's all. You are not known about in the general SL population. Nobody is. Sorry, old man, but famous and infamous are things that you are not.

Well...I beg to differ. Though my posts in the SL Forums in the past gained me a bit of noteriety. It's hardly the source of my fame or infamy.

The days of saying "I never heard of Jumpy"  by anybody but noobs or folks living under a rock in SL ended quite a few years ago.

BUT that's not the point. The point is this. Whether heard of or not, my deeds or misdeeds were noted and quite often discussed by people I never met.  It's safe to say I was once caught up in a lil bit of drama that trancended any one particular "niche" of SL.

If these things are well in the past; then' they become history and I become historical. I have been mentioned (by folks I never heard of ) as one of the historical figures of Second Life.

I could say ANYTHING about my SELF. It's when others say it that it becomes fame. Wouldn't you say?

My actions were RECORDED. Google "Jumpman Lane" and see. I didn't write ALL that stuff. Hehehehehehe.

I've noticed this too. When people (read noobs) DO google me, they come away amazed...

Sorry old chap, but you are not famous or infamous at all in SL. Nobody mentions you except perhaps the relatively small number of people who came across you here in the forum, and on those very rare occasions, most people here would say, "Who?".

I've been is SL since 2006 and I've never come across a mention of you. The only things I know about in all that time is that you outed Stroker (well done!) and you write almost illegible posts from time to time. And that's it. Both of those are known only to a reltively few SL users.

It's clear that you like to think of yourself as being somebody that most people in SL have heard of, and you are free to think that, of course, even though it's just self delusion. The best that can be said about you is that you are well-known in certain circles - just the same as everyone else in SL. And just the same as everyone in RL. For instance, I am famous in RL. Everybody in the street where I live either knows me or knows about me. Here, in this street, I am famous (although 'famous' isn't really the right word).

There are no famous people in SL. There are lots of people who are well-known in certain circles, that's all.

hehehehe phil I'm not famous to YOU CAWS we've known each other for years :P (well...chatted here in the forums from time to time).

I remember when you first turned up here (as an aside).

SERIOUSLY. Google "Jumpman Lane" you'll be amazed. I can say I'm famous. I can say anything at all. BUT... People I don't know say it too. Hehehehe. People I've never met have heard of me. People discuss me in forums I've been banned in for years.

The reason I suspect no one has fame as wide as anyone's IRL is that SL just doesnt have press organs on the scale of Real Life. However, you can't say NO ONE is famous in SL because no one is as famous as the most famous people in RL.

Search around the web. On any forum where folks ponder the question of famous people or historical personages, my namre pops up.

I'm an inverterate self promoter. It's one of the things I'm famous for. I came here to just to SAY, "Hey, I'm famous!" But somebody had already said it! Hehehehe Next you'll be saying I ain't the King of Second Life lmao!

:)

You're certainly some things, Jumpy, but famous and/or infamous isn't one of them :D 

Incidentally, of course you name comes up in a Google search. Everybody's name who uses the forum does. My RL name comes up too - more in the past than now - because I was very well-known around the RL world in a certain circle, to the extent that Microsoft invited me to go half way round the world to their HQ to help them with something. But I wasn't famous. George Clooney is famous in the RL world. That's fame. You (and I and everyone else) are known only within certain circles. That's not fame.

To be perfectly honest, I'd be quite surprised if Ebbe himself is famous in SL. He may be the only one though.

I've only ever seen you here, and I'm fairly certain I could poll plenty of my (8-10 years in SL) friends and they'd never have heard of you. I'd have to Google you to find out what it is you think you are famous for. Even the most famous & infamous (I'm thinking people like Anshe Chung and Prok) are barely known among the majority of residents.

A few years back, if you image-searched my name, pictures of my av were at the top of the search. All I'd done was attend an in-world appearence of a RL celebrity. 

Whatever, Jumpman. You'll no doubt remain a legend in your own mind, regardless of what anyone says.

One more thing. Your "classic and legendary my Old Sl Forum posts" are something of a rumour in your own mind. After all the years I've been in the forum, the only things I remember about you are (1) you outed Stroker, and (2) you often write barely comprehensible posts. That's it. Apart from the Stroker series, I don't remember anything that you've written - just the annoying way you wrote them. Perhaps that's what you mean by "classic and legendary".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.