Who are the famous people in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You remember when I was a noob? You're the noob compared to me :D Heck, I was taking money out of SL before you were even a twinkle in the sign-up form's eye lol. Some people claim to be able to remember being in the womb. Are you one of those people? lol

And I hung on your every word? LMAO. Your posts were written in such a silly childish way that, apart from the Stroker episode, when you were actually very interesting, I skipped most of the ones I saw, and there haven't been many of those. Still, it's good to see that you're not writing in your old silly style now.

Your delusions know no bounds :D

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not famous Mr Lane, despite what your delusions of grandeur tell you.

I can Google a lot of things, find a lot of people, it doesn't make them famous.

Most people in SL don't know who you are from any other resident, they probably don't care to either.

Telling other people you are famous and giggling like a school girl in every post you make, doesn't change any of these facts.

can we google you?

hehehe

I unno, I'm just a lil' Lane but I'm most certainly not the ONLY one who's EVER said I was famous. The days of noobs and those just not in the know saying "you're not famous (or infamous)" ended a few years back. People I don't know discuss me in places I do not or cannot frequent. TO THIS VERY DAY.

YOU saying I'm not won't change it.

Am I VAIN? YES! Am I ARROGANT? Guilty! But I'm also famous hehehe DEFINITLEY compared to you.

You might be right about folks not being able to distinguish me from any other resident in Second Life. I unno, I think it could be caws when you search Second Life on wikipedia, particularrly Resident (Second Life) the picture of "A male human avatar." is ME :P Been there longer than you've been in Second  Life.

P.S. You SHOULD Google me. I googled YOU. Didn't find much. I guess you are not famous...either? lmao

hehehe

Of course I'm not famous, why would I be?

I'm not the one trying to convince people I am.

I think you're confusing notoriety with fame. There's a certain level of notoriety associated with your name, among a certain niche. It's not widespread tho. Notoriety's rarely ever something to be proud of.

Don't think I'll ever understand why some people enjoy being disliked. Probably best that I don't try. Psychology's not my thing.

I received it lol

You are mistaking the word 'famous' for the phrase 'well-known'. As I said earlier, you are well-known in some circles. I am too. A myriad of SL users are. All the regualrs in this forum are. But none of us are 'famous' in SL.

Loads of people get talked about, or I should say mentioned, which is what you mean, amongst people we've never met. Anyone discussing the demise of SexGen might mention you, but that isn't fame. After that, the only thing you are known for (only within certain circles) is the childlike way you wrote your posts, almost all of which are of no merit or interest at all. All they ever do is highlight the childlike side of your nature.

None of it matters though. You will continue with your self-delusions, or roleplay, or whatever it is, no matter what, and life will continue on its merry way regardless.

Because it's true. According to your way of thinking, there are plenty of regulars in this forum alone who are far more 'famous' than you are. But fame isn;t the right word, simply because none of them, including you, are actually famous in SL. Everyone is well-known in certain circles, that's all.

Famous
- having a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature; renowned; celebrated.

But what is widespread?

Widespread
- distributed over a wide region, or occurring in many places or among many persons or individuals

Which then asks, what is many?

Many
- a large or considerable number of persons or things.
- the many, the greater part of humankind.

So I would be willing to say that if more than 50% of the English speaking Second Life users have heard of you then you are famous.

And that means that none of us are famous, except in certain circles, of course :)

For instance, both you and I and many others are 'famous' in the forum. But this circle is much too small to even consider using the word 'famous'. 'Well-known' in the forum is much more applicable. Famous is when people get to know people 3rd hand, and extemsively. E.g George Clooney is famous throughout the world, even though the circles he moves in are small, because we've all come across his name many times. That simply doesn't apply to any SL user, and I'd be surprised if it applies to Ebbe himself, and he's ther main man in SL.

Phil Deakins wrote:

He probably was at one time, when the population was quite small, and he took an active part in communicating with it - and we all marvelled at his creation - at least I did
:)
. These days, though, his name is probably only remembered by the old hands like us
:)

I sometimes think that Torley was more popular than Philip so if being popular equates with famous...........

Why limit it to English speaking. There are people like that sexgen mogul whowas discussed in languages other than English. Phil is just on a jag. To deny that ANYONE could possibly be famous in SL (IN SECOND LIFE) is just silly. To say no one is famous because...

1. The aren't as famous as the most famous RL celebrities. [THere are more people in RL, more media outlets too. So. that's using a comparison when one should be sticking to a definition.]

2. TO concede that people have gained noteriety but not fame. [This steals the concept of "fame" AND the wider concept "noteriety" which subsumes it. It's like saying A is not A BECAUSE it is A. That's a contradiction, a logiccal fallacy, and a confession of an error].

3. No one has noteriet outside of a given  niche. [Just NOT true].

4. No one is famouse because EVERYBODY hasnt heard of them. [Not everyone is in the know hehehehe].

It makes no sense and denies all evidence. When someone is as irrational about something as Phil seems to be one has to wonder if something more personal ...like an emotion is at stake? Could it be that curious mix of envy and hatred towards those who posses what one does not.

They yap bout Jumpy in japanese hehehehe GOOGLE ii! And other languages too. I'mtellin ya something GOOD!

Jumpman Lane wrote:

you've been saying that for years when anyone mentions fame hehehe. I WON'T concede the point.

I'm F.I.C. too hehehe

LOL. You're not very well informed, are you? I don't ever remember saying it before this thread, but, if I did, it's certainly not something that I've been "saying for years". It's always been true though.

You're F.I.C. eh? If you mean Prok's idiotic imagination, then you do have something in common - a gigantic imagination :D

I prefer my underatanding of F.I.C. though, which fits you to a 't'. :D 

Well Prok coined the phrase hehehehehe. YOU didn't.

I made the list. YOU didn't.

hehehehehehe

My POWAH at one point in SL was such that many wondered if my wife was Kid Marmite lmao.

You really should get out more :P

Did you get my autographed pic?

necromance one of the old threads on fame in the SL forums. You were going on much as you are now some years ago lol.

Jumpman Lane wrote:

They yap bout Jumpy in japanese hehehehe GOOGLE ii! And other languages too. I'mtellin ya something GOOD!

Just one little thing. Nobody talks about you. The only places you are known are in the forums, and nobody even mentions you, let alone talks about you. But let's put it to the test, shall we? You keep mentioning how you come up in Google's search, so post some URLs and let's see what's there, shall we.

Oh Prok's written about me a time or two in the past hehehe. prok's said many mean things about me lol. Like I'm odious and notorious. That i'M part of Linden Lab's feted inner core but alas i use my powah for ills and thrills hehehe. I think the term prok coined for such instances was MAL-FIC

I unno the links i could post are mant but can we post links here AT ALL? Everytime I ever did somebody snitched me out :P

google me and read the drek written bout me. Imagine all the lil niches I've gaine some some measure of noteriety in whilst contemplating the REACH of your google results. Use the search tools. Dig a li l deeper. Add all those lil niches up and tell me with a straight face it doesnt add up to SOME measure of fame.

Better yet don't tell ME lol TELL YOURSELF. Be real in your OWN mind. fOR YA OWN SAKE HEHEHE CAWS i KNOW WHAT i AM :P

Jumpman Lane wrote:

Search the SLU Forums hehehe. Second Citizen? Twitter, Plurk  lol There are more forums than LL's. I'm BANNED in many of those places.  

The SLU forums are the same as here - a small circle. I've accepted that you are well-known in certains circles. You're just not famous in SL, which is what we're discussing.

I don't about the others you suggested because I've never used them, but, again, they are particular circles, and we're not dicussing particular circles. We're discussing 'famous in SL'; i.e. amongst the SL population - not amongst small parts of the SL population.

I did ask for some URLs to these Google searches you keep citing, because I'd like to see what you're on about. Where are they?

Jumpman Lane wrote:

Oh Prok's written about me a time or two in the past hehehe. prok's said many mean things about me lol. Like I'm odious and notorious. That i'M part of Linden Lab's feted inner core but alas i use my powah for ills and thrills hehehe. I think the term prok coined for such instances was MAL-FIC

I unno the links i could post are mant but can we post links here AT ALL? Everytime I ever did somebody snitched me out
:P

google me and read the drek written bout me. Imagine all the lil niches I've gaine some some measure of noteriety in whilst contemplating the REACH of your google results. Use the search tools. Dig a li l deeper. Add all those lil niches up and tell me with a straight face it doesnt add up to SOME measure of fame.

Better yet don't tell ME lol TELL YOURSELF. Be real in your OWN mind. fOR YA OWN SAKE HEHEHE CAWS i KNOW WHAT i AM
:P

Now we're getting there :)

Now you're saying that you are well-known in those small circles - 'niches', you call them. THAT'S what I've been saying. We are ALL well-known in many small circles - niches - but none of it makes us famous in SL, which is what we are talking about.

Prok's had a go at me in the past too - in her blog. It doesn't make me famous in SL. Prok isn't famous in SL. She's just like the rest of us - well-known in certain circles. I loved it because she based her criticism on her misunderstanding of how the mini-map works, which her argument relied on, so she came off 2nd best. She got a spanking in her own back yard. Later, in this forum, she claimed to have won it - right up until I asked her to post the URL for us all to see. Then she went s-t-r-a-n-g-e-l-y quiet :D  I'll give her some credit though. She could have edited the blog and posted the URL but she didn't.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.