sl is too slow

brick Wylder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3009 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a new computer with all specs well beyond what sl requirtes but when i sign on everything is too slow, doesnt rez properly-  a bad connection--avatar jumps or stalls, clothing doesnt rez, transporting is way too slow, etc. in summary--things get stalled and dont move.properly. i now have a premium membershiop so please help. email is rmcolley@syr.edu. thanks-

3 answers to this question

brick Wylder wrote:

-  a bad connection--

That is probably the problem.  University internet access is notoriously limited.  Most can not even get outside of the firewall for programs like Second Life that want so many ports open.

You can try checking your internet connection from a speed test site.  http://speedof.me/ is one place but there many to chose from.

• Like 4

We're just residents like you, not Linden Lab tech support.  This is an open forum, so I suggest editing your post to remove your email address.  Use the Options/Edit link in the top right corner.

SL is slower than the computer games you may be used to.  This is due to the fact that most of the textures are user-created and are not optimized for speed.  In addition, most of SL's content is not "pre-loaded" to your hard drive, it has to be downloaded over the internet as you go.

That being said, there are three things that affect your performance.  Your computer, your internet connection, and the complexity of the virtual environment, including the number of avatars present, what they are wearing, and the scripts and textures running in your vicinity.

To eliminate the environment as a problem, go to an empty region like Heckendorf or Pooley, and fly up to an altitude over 1000 m.  This will give you the lowest lag environment possible.

If you are still too slow, the likely culprit is your internet connection, since you say you have a late model computer with adequate specs.  If you are using wifi, try a hard wired ethernet cable instead.  If you are using satellite internet, consider switching to a landline provider via cable or FIOS.  If you are using a wireless service like 4G or 3G LTE, you'll also want to consider a change.  Here are some other things to look into: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

EDIT:  Rhonda picked up on an important point that I missed.  If you're connecting through your college's network, that could be the problem.  Lots of universities either block SL entirely or severely limit download speeds.  You're supposed to be using the network for studying, not for playing games!

• Like 5

I just wanted to re-emphasize trying a wired connection if you have been using wi-fi.  I had been under the impression that we had excellent wi-fi at our house - we use it for everything we do online, without any issues at all, except for my VPN connection for work, and for Second Life.  It was amazing the difference that switching to a wired connection made at certain times of day and/or other wi-fi activity occuring in our house.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3009 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.