all i want is a simple answer...

Aberguine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...to a simple question. Why does SL 2.0 (or any viewer I have used) log me off after about 2 minutes, regardless if anything is loaded or not? It gives me a message saying that there is something wrong with my internet conncetion, when I have about three tabs open and all are loading just fine.

I hope it has nothing to do with my firewall or anything like that.

I find this extremely frustrating as I haven't even gotten through the first tutorial!

If anyone can help, please break it down into n00b-friendly terms--I'm not a huge techie.

Well, hate to get techie on you, but problems like this have been reported like this in the forums before and they usually have to do with the router used to connect to the Internet.  I think they were all Netgear routers.  Most people had to call their ISP and get the routers changed out.   Anyway, not sure if this relates to your problem.  What kind of router do you have?

--Cinn

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/New-BB-suplier-and-I-get-booted-from-SL-after-2-mins/qaq-p/751823

Aberguine wrote:

...to a simple question. Why does SL 2.0 (or any viewer I have used) log me off after about 2 minutes, regardless if anything is loaded or not? It gives me a message saying that there is something wrong with my internet conncetion, when I have about three tabs open and all are loading just fine.

I hope it has nothing to do with my firewall or anything like that.

I find this extremely frustrating as I haven't even gotten through the first tutorial!

If anyone can help, please break it down into n00b-friendly terms--I'm not a huge techie.

Aberguin, if that thing happened to you hours ago I may say its really the internet connection. 

8 hours ago ive been crashing for like 6 times and receiving a notice "check you internet connection" .  I tried browsing the net and my connection is hell slow like opening the facebook page for like 10 mins. and ive seen some of my friends in rl posting and ranting about "todays super slow internet connection". So, the viewer is right.

After 4 hours I logged in back to second life and had a successful flight with my panavia tornado jet fighter crossing the sims of blake sea;)

You can check your internet connection by visiting http://www.pingtest.net/ and run the test a few times with different target servers. It might be that your packet loss and/or ping times are to high. If you get low grades (consistently) from the test, you may want to talk to your ISP about it.

Also, unplug your modem and router for a minute or so, plug them back in and let a connection establish. Then log in and see if you still have a problem.

Then, have a look in the performance panel in the viewer (press Ctrl+shift+1) and have a look at the packet loss number close to the top of the panel. If you have consistent packet loss, you may want to try to lower your max bandwidth in preferences (under Setup, I think, in Viewer 2) to see if it helps.

- Luc -

• 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.