can 3ds max 2016 create mesh clothes?

Nichole1113

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, 3D Max can make clothes for SL. There are a number of gotcha's to deal with. Blender and AvaStar along with Maya and MayaStar take care of those gotcha's so you don't have to think about them.

Otherwise, you need to know about some scaling problems as you move from Max to SL. See: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/04/23/second-life-shape-export/

There are a couple of Max tutorials on YouTube for SL.

There are a load of tutorials for Blender and SL. They will explain the technical complocations. Those by Gaia Clary explain problems for those using raw Blender, the things they have to do to make things work, like the X,Y,Z axis being switched around. his just means you have to rotate your work before exporting for SL.

Also, the import format for SL is Collada. That measn you'll need AutoDesk's FBX converter.

Nothing is easy. So, look through the groups in world. You can ask for help in those groups. They will likely be able to point you in directions I don't know about.

...and be aware that things are changing. Project Bento is changing the basic avatar. You can see what is happen with that project by attanding the User Group meeting in SL. See Bento.

Good Luck.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Also, the import format for SL is Collada. That measn you'll need AutoDesk's FBX converter.

You can use autodesk's DAE exporter without a problem in 3ds Max 2013. As far as I know this will work for 2016 too.

...and be aware that things are changing. Project Bento is changing the basic avatar. You can see what is happen with that project by attanding the User Group meeting in SL. See

I can't imagine Bento will break or change anything for clothes meant for either the default avatar or current mesh bodies available today. Think of the four years of broken content that would mean. The only changes I can think of off the top of my head are added abilities for movable parts, using the extra tail and wing bones (Ruffles moving inthe wind for example). But that's a bit out of the scope of "normal" clothing, since it means adding extra scripting and animations.

@OP

Creating clothes with 3ds Max for SL works the same as creating clothes for anything else. Just make sure you use the correct skeleton.

Mesh/Exporting a mesh from 3ds Max

Under the download links you can get the skeleton files. The DAE and/or FBX file will work in 3ds Max, although the bones are all squashed to little cubes. What I did was rebuilding the skeleton, not a lot of work really.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.