Norton flagging latest SL Viewer as suspicious activity. Just a false positive or what?

LordRedmondOtter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

Norton Internet Security is the most perfect product ever created.....

It does its job by flagging anything you do on your PC like

o Turning it on.

o Daring to launch an Internet Browser

o Even thinking about downloading software from the Internet

o Using software that might use a port to communicate with anything

and on and on.......

• Like 1

During my 25 years of engineering, I lost data only twice. Both times were the result of Norton Antivirus scrambling my hard drive. In one case, I sent the drive to a place in Colorado to see if they could recover anything. I was told the drive was completely random, and that they were having a banner year because of Norton. They also said that anyone using Norton should have their head examined, as it weedles its way below the OS, and was buggy as hell.

That was 17 years ago and I've not used anti virus software since. Nor have I ever encountered a virus or any other kind of malware, either before or after my use of Norton.

Nods..... Same here. My software engineering daughter gave me the same advise. I hate products that 1) slow down your PC and 2) change the OS interaction with the user so that the OS instructions are no longer valid. I do use a nice malware program to assist in short-sheeting drive-by infection vectors while browsing the Internet. The built-in AV in Windows 10 is doing a great job along with me being smart about what I feed my PC. I also pulled Adobe Flash & JAVA from my PCs years ago. It's amazing how few infection intrusions I get. Imagine a world without the fake scan of your hard drive that takes only 20 seconds to identify the zillions of infections you have. :D

It's totally a false positive!

Norton is overly agressive about anything you do on your PC, such as turning it on as was mentioned in another post. I genuine avoid Norton like a root canal because I spend more time trying to tell it "I really want to use this program" or "I really want to download that file"

So rst assured you are quite safe with the SL Viewer.

Felicia

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.