why does sl keep crashing on my new 27inch imac?

sashacouture1992

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hi there,

So i just bought a new 27inch imac with 5k display and for no reason out of the blue, sl keeps crashing on me.

i was using a late 2012 macbook pro for about 2 years and never had this problem. I love my mew imac because now i can finally watch videos in sl, render shadows and put my graphics on high without dying lol but for whatever reason, and i noticed this on my old mac book after a recent update in december, sl has been crashing on me way more than normal and i'm unable to enjoy crowded sims like collab88 and fameshed without crashing.I can't even stand around in my house for extended periods of time without crashing.

Is there anything i can do to check this problem and find out how i can stop this? it's really made my play experience dwindle in quality. thanks for the help :)

2 answers to this question

Well that comes with a nice AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB Graphics Subsystem that rates a 1130 in the Passmark Videocard Benchmarks testing. 

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+R9+M275

My guess is that you are running that GPU  a bit hot as advanced cooling is not a high point in the imac. Try ratching the Graphics Slider down a bit and see if it becomes stable.

sashacouture1992 wrote:

hi there,

So i just bought a new 27inch imac with 5k display and for no reason out of the blue, sl keeps crashing on me.

i was using a late 2012 macbook pro for about 2 years and never had this problem. I love my mew imac because now i can finally watch videos in sl, render shadows and put my graphics on high without dying lol but for whatever reason, and i noticed this on my old mac book after a recent update in december, sl has been crashing on me way more than normal and i'm unable to enjoy crowded sims like collab88 and fameshed without crashing.I can't even stand around in my house for extended periods of time without crashing.

Is there anything i can do to check this problem and find out how i can stop this? it's really made my play experience dwindle in quality. thanks for the help
:)

OSX El Capitan, which would have been pre-loaded on a new Mac, is known to make Second Life viewers very crashy. Did you also update your Macbook to El Capitan? Some people have been having better luck using 64-bit viewers like the 64-bit versions of Firestorm or Alchemy; other than that you might try using an older version of OSX for now but I don't know if Macs even allow that on new hardware.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.