Project Sansar Beta

Iron Perth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know this is a hail mary, but anyone have some thoughts on how to apply for the Alpha/Beta/Gamma/whatever of Project Sansar?

I am a loooongtiiime SL user (2004, gack).  I work with Maya/3dsmax/vray/mari/unity/unreal/etc.  

Feel free to call me a troll for asking this.   I'm desperate so I'll take the abuse

• Community Manager

Iron Perth wrote:

I know this is a hail mary, but anyone have some thoughts on how to apply for the Alpha/Beta/Gamma/whatever of Project Sansar?

I am a loooongtiiime SL user (2004, gack).  I work with Maya/3dsmax/vray/mari/unity/unreal/etc.  

Feel free to call me a troll for asking this.   I'm desperate so I'll take the abuse

Thank you for your interest, Iron! Currently Project Sansar is still in pre-alpha with a small group. We will be expanding our testing in the coming months and will be sure to announce when we begin taking applications from more creators.

I think you should consider having applications from norms, too, and not just creators.

A world can't exist with creators; it has to have consumers and pro-sumers. 

I personally don't want to be in this beta as I don't have the time/graphics card/etc but you should find some norms and bring them in.

LL is still in pre-alpha (per the message you replied to). They're likely still working on the graphics engine -- more creators means more content of different types to use to test the engine. There wouldn't be anything for a consumer or a 'norm' to do.

Even in beta there won't be much for anyone but creators to do initially because it'll be like the beginning of SL. If you want content you'll have to build it yourself while others are creating things to sell and to do.

• 1 month later...

"Because it states that you must not disclose that the product does not actually exist." well it clearly does exist as LL employed project engineers also  "Non Disclosure Agreement." is standard practice, no company is going to invest large R&D revenue costs or give other company information for someone to be poached by a rival company who then gives them all the information. A compamy would have to be totaly incompatent to do that.

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I am also a long time resident, My first account back in 2003 *dies*  :matte-motes-dead: ...

I am a avid creator of buildings and structures in Second Life, and learning of this shiny new platform is awesome!! and i cannot wait until they allow more of us to experience this!

I have subscribed to ANY info regarding Project Sansar for the future!!

I have also worked with maya/3dsmax,vray,mari,unity & unreal.

Fingers crossed it will be soon!

Kasabian Constantine :3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello , I 'd like to know , if it's possible to be part of the Beta testers of Project Sansar  . I'm unemployed at the moment and I have plenty of time ... I'm from France , I speak French and English and a little Spannish too , I needed feel free to contact me , I'l be so proud of Help for that Project :)

Last I heard LL will take in a new group to help test in May or June, and then additional groups after.  I don't know if they are still on track for that.  

I do remember that it was said that they were especially looking for people who have created experiences in SL.  Beyond that, I'm sure being able to present skills in areas such as mesh creation (earlier groups were required to know Maya specifically, I believe, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next group were expanded out to 3DS Max, Blender, etc.) or C# would help.

Assuming that time frame is still correct, I'd probably look at learning or brushing up on C#.  There are free places to learn it online.  If I still had time after that, I think there's a good amount of time to make a start at learning proper 3D modeling.  I strongly suggest that you find the very best resources/instructors/tutorials for this that you can.  (Don't rely on inworld resources.)

All of that said, I think the last time I heard anything "official" was the VWBPE presentation a month or two ago.  My memory may be hazy.  It would probably be a good idea to search YouTube for VWBPE Ebbe Altberg.  It's probably about an hour long.

Or, better yet, maybe someone from LL will provide additional information soon.  

BlueTrianon wrote:

I do remember that it was said that they were especially looking for people who have created experiences in SL.  Beyond that, I'm sure being able to present skills in areas such as mesh creation (earlier groups were required to know Maya specifically, I believe, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next group were expanded out to 3DS Max, Blender, etc.) or C# would help.

Has there been any official mention that other packages will be supported? I animate in Maya but hate modelling in it. It would be handy to have Max supported too.

There have been multiple mentions that there are plans to support others.  I haven't seen anything official saying that they are currently able to do so.

Hopefully soon!  Perhaps when they admit the first few large groups of beta users?  

I'm hoping that a siginificant amount of information is released around the time that applications open.  If they're looking for people that will be willing to create experiences rather than come in and look around as tourists, those people will need information on what's going to be available to create those experiences sooner rather than later.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Take note, that Ebbe talks about many things Sansar will be able to do, ie VR stuff, but never actually shows it. I'll also add, that grabbing stuff off of Turbosquid and putting it in your world is not a difficult thing, as all worlds can do that, even SL, and it's not anything to be bragging about.

As a side note, I've applied twice, both being months and months ago, and they won't let me in there yet. I did get an email saying something about how more invites will be going out soon, but that was a good month or 2 ago. For the life of me, I can't understand why they aren't letting more people in. If they think Sansar will be good with just some Maya users importing Turbosquid content, then Sansar doesn't have a chance in hell to succeed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.