Is it worth coming back?

LordTristem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I apologize in advance if this question upsets anyone, but I have been toying with the notion of giving Second Life another go, but I've been reluctant to do so due to the games age.  Specifically I can't help, but wonder how much longer Second Life's gonna last before it gets axed (It is afterall almost 13 years old), and replaced by something else.

So I guess the question I'm asking is is it worth coming back to?  Are there any plans of it being shut down or replaced in the near future or am I just being a worry wart so to speak?

That depends on what you want from it.

LL are working on Project Sansar, which we are told is defnintely not the replacement for SL. However, once Sansar is up and running, SL could be closed if SL doesn't remain profitable. This, of course, doesn't change things all that much. Project Sansar is a long way from going live, as far as we can tell. Almost any business will close if it is unprofitable, and SL is just another business.

Back to my opening point: if you want to drop in and see what SL is like these days, then what's the problem? If instead you plan to jump in, get a Premium Membership and buy your own region, then make sure it's money you can afford to lose (which really has always been the case).

Hmm from the looks of things its apparently goign live sometime this year.  At least from what I could glean from a google search.  I'm not planning on buying property or anything I just don't want to get involved with a community of a game that might not be around in the near long term.  Not when there are more stable options.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh in saying that its not my intention to put Second Life down, but I put considerable effort in my social life and investing such effort in something that's not gonna last would be a waste of my limited time related resources.

Ummm, you're gonna find that out on a forum?

SL is still amazing; possibly even more amazing than ever, but....there are simply not the people there anymore there used to be.  SIms upon empty sims will greet you, with the occasional one with a handful of people in.  A far cry from when I joined SL years ago.

Second Life will be around as long as it is profitable.  LL has no plans to shut it down even when Sansar is ready. 

Sansar is an entirely different world than SL in many ways.  It is not SL2.  The target market appears to be different to. So while SL residents may visit and some will move to that grid, I am not sure there is going to be a mass exodus from SL in the forseeable future.  It's going to take a while, probably years, before the amount of content available in SL is matched by Sansar.

So, IMO SL is definetly worth coming back to.

MishkaKatyusha wrote:

how all is sansar supposed to be different from sl?

i just started getting settled into sl >.>

What I've heard about Sansar is that it's more like a game engine for individual media projects, rather than a larger world like SL. Think of something like multiplayer Minecraft, where each instance of a server can be running different mods and content, completely changing the experience from one server to another. One server might be an MMO like experience while another is a Mario remake.

LordTristem wrote:

, but I've been reluctant to do so due to the games age.  

At therisk of starting the "is it a game" debate, it is not like other games.  The content is constantly being created by users instead of the never changing look of traditional games.  It is not the same platform it was 12 years ago.  Mesh changed to look, from avatars to furniture to full houses and landscapes. 

Don't let people fool you about how it was.  Sims full of traffic bots were just empty sims with high lag. But the basic part of Second Life has not changed at all.  It is still a visual chat room at its core. At least it has better visuals now.

I get what the OP is asking. When I occasionally try out an MMO game I like it to have a somewhat active community and not a ghost town or one that will be shut down soon. Second Life? It's really hard to say. We are approaching a precipice and Sansar could cause a mass migration but we just don't know. Maybe upon seeing that Sansar is unsuitable as an SL upgrade, people will double down on SL. But the future is shrouded in mist.

What I've heard about Sansar is that it's more like a game engine for individual media projects, rather than a larger world like SL. Think of something like multiplayer Minecraft, where each instance of a server can be running different mods and content, completely changing the experience from one server to another. One server might be an MMO like experience while another is a Mario remake.

Excuse my technical ignorance, but would that mean that we might have to buy entirely different things for different sims? For instance, would you need different avatar types? And would certain scripted items (especially vehicles) run in one sim but another?

LordTristem wrote:

I apologize in advance if this question upsets anyone, but I have been toying with the notion of giving Second Life another go, but I've been reluctant to do so due to the games age.  Specifically I can't help, but wonder how much longer Second Life's gonna last before it gets axed (It is afterall almost 13 years old), and replaced by something else.

So I guess the question I'm asking is is it worth coming back to?  Are there any plans of it being shut down or replaced in the near future or am I just being a worry wart so to speak?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Definitely not

***Call me Dee Sysieve

• 2 weeks later...

Only you can answer that question. We all have our different reasons for participating in Second Life. What's yours and can/will it be fulfilled?

At it's core, Second Life is  3D Virtual Chat community. Nifty settings, lots of things to do and roleplay, but at the end of the day, is there anyone to chat and share ideas with?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.